SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#219918 - 09/05/07 03:40 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
casiobot Offline

So Yamaha pretty much assumes that PSR users are going to record mostly with styles and/or go through a computer?
They seemed to have gotten the pattern/song thing together on the MO6 and I would've been totally for it except that the MO has only 64 poly and with 4 element voices,that just isn't going to fly,at least,not too far.

Meanwhile with the PSRs,they've got 128 poly but a sequencer that's "without",so to speak.

THAT is just short of insane!

I'm still going to get a PSR of one stripe or another-I'm done worrying about the "sequencer".I'm going to dig my MMT-8 out of mothballs and pay the $80+ to get it up and running again.

Oh,btw,I picked up on this recording by Chris Bell at PSR Tutorial:
http://psrtutorial.com/mp3/AA/Artists.html

Scroll down to "America"-I am stunned and amazed that quality of this caliber came out on a KB that was released in 2000. I mean,how did Yamaha make 17 MB of ROM sound so fantastic?
Another item: What are aftermarket PSR 2k's going for?

#219919 - 09/05/07 05:14 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
casiobot,

You can use any compatable style to create your song on the PSR and Tyros series of keyboards, and editing is a snap as well. Some folks need a computer to edit their songs, but I'm not among them. Additionally, most of the songs on the PSR-tutorial site were not created using PC software, and there have been some fantastic songs posted on that site.

The price of a used PSR-2000 in good to excellent condition is currently about $500. However, finding one can be a difficult task. There are a lot of performers still using the 2000 and wouldn't part with them at any price.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#219920 - 09/05/07 05:55 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There are a lot of good songs that can be made with little or no editing, but... good luck if you wanted, for example to change meters a few times, and deep edit patterns in a hardware keyboard's sequencer.

Think of it in terms of tools.. A hammer is a great tool, but not every situation calls for a hammer. There are tools made in recent times that make it a lot easier on the body, but hey, if ya wanna wear out your arm and joints, you can still frame an entire house with a 22 oz Estwing.

I can do a lot in real time on my Tyros 2 sequencer, but there are a lot of things, especially when they start getting very complex, that I can do a lot easier in software. Yes, you can work in the arranger sequencers, but I often prefer to use a similar workflow to what you described initially, and based on my experiences with arranger sequencers, I have my doubts that you'll like the workflow aspect. It can be done, but....

This is a great forum bot, but there isn't a whole lot said here about a lot of the modern genres, and to be quite frank, not many arrangers come with an abundance of styles that lend themselves well to it. To put it another way, I have the Motif ES, which has a much deeper and more detailed sequencing package vs the Yamaha arrangers, and yet it still lags in a lot of areas to even the most inexpensive dedicated software sequencers, and although I'm not all that familiar with it, I bet your MMT-8 would be a step up from it too.

AJ

#219921 - 09/05/07 06:18 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's just one of those 'if you haven't tried it, you'll never know,' things...

Maybe this would help... Do you prefer surfing the web on your computer, or on a cellphone? THAT'S about how much better a computer sequencer is. You can't take it with you (although there's always your laptop), but the alternative is barely usable, in comparison.

#219922 - 09/05/07 06:21 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by casiobot:
So Yamaha pretty much assumes that PSR users are going to record mostly with styles and/or go through a computer?
They seemed to have gotten the pattern/song thing together on the MO6 and I would've been totally for it except that the MO has only 64 poly and with 4 element voices,that just isn't going to fly,at least,not too far.

Meanwhile with the PSRs,they've got 128 poly but a sequencer that's "without",so to speak.

THAT is just short of insane!

I'm still going to get a PSR of one stripe or another-I'm done worrying about the "sequencer".I'm going to dig my MMT-8 out of mothballs and pay the $80+ to get it up and running again.

Oh,btw,I picked up on this recording by Chris Bell at PSR Tutorial:
http://psrtutorial.com/mp3/AA/Artists.html

Scroll down to "America"-I am stunned and amazed that quality of this caliber came out on a KB that was released in 2000. I mean,how did Yamaha make 17 MB of ROM sound so fantastic?
Another item: What are aftermarket PSR 2k's going for?

Nice stuff for sure thanx .....I noticed on the list there was an old song I posted there also on my T2 long ago.
http://psrtutorial.com/mp3/AA/AA_files/DP%20Hurt.mp3

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-05-2007).]

#219923 - 09/05/07 11:35 PM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It’s much easier doing it on your keyboard, and if you want a mouse or bigger screen just plug one in, or if you want to use other software sequencers just load them in the board. (Although for most editing they are way overkill)
Have Fun, Make Music

Bill

#219924 - 09/06/07 11:59 AM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As long as you have an $8k Wersi, maybe...

But back in the real world, it makes more sense (if not easier) to use a $500 computer and save yourself a few thousand dollars.

#219925 - 09/07/07 04:40 AM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
Its all been said before but if you prefer composing and editing a song using a computer and the inspiration to write and compose hits you when you can get near a computer or you have a room dedicated for studio work then fine . There is no need to have a musical instrument that has sequencer abilities. But if you are a musician that likes to write and compose on the instrument that they actually play 95% of the time as and when the inspiration hits you with no interference between the music that flows from mind to fingers to instrument and recorded data, then an inbuilt hard ware sequencer is essential. It does not mean that the finished article will be completed in its entirety onboard the instrument but it means that the majority of what the musician hears in their head can be captured , edited and for the most part formed onboard the instrument that they play immediately. Both software and hardware sequencers have their place and Yamaha Acknowledge this hence the Motif range still have comprehensive onboard sequencers . They simply have decided to omit this from the arranger product range which to me is just a very poor marketing decision.

[This message has been edited by Spalding 4 (edited 09-07-2007).]

#219926 - 09/07/07 04:52 AM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
zuki Offline

I sequenced many songs using the on-board sequencer in Yamaha boards - it really is a snap, especially if you just use a style template, or just the stlye drum part.

I found the Roland very confusing, but that's just me.

I agree with Diki though. If you are computer savvy, the software systems and large screen seem to be the way to go. I just never had the time to learn that process.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#219927 - 09/07/07 05:10 AM Re: Sequencing Methods On The PSR's
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I only use the PSR on-board sequencer...works for me.

I do agree that software sequencing gives you more control with editing, but I've only needed to do a small bit of editing...perhaps an effect amount or maybe a transposition...this is easily done on the PSR.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online