SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219768 - 07/22/06 02:55 PM Discussion on controller keyboards
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Am wondering what's good and not so good and why. Would like to hear about brands, models, features, ease of use, durability etc.

I am most interested in organ/soft touch keys rather than a piano type action.

Scott

#219769 - 07/22/06 02:59 PM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'd suggest buyers be a little cautious about some of M-Audio's models. They make some lower budget controllers with 61-88 keys (semi-weighted), but the reviews aren't too favorable. Apparently problems reaching full velocity, midi data not getting sent or recieved properly. Several reviews have also stated that the key action on the lower semi-weighted models is a little shakey too.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-22-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219770 - 07/22/06 05:40 PM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I had an M-Audio radium 61. I had no problems with any of the midi data on my particular unit. Really, I had few issues at all with it except that.... the keys felt soggy, the whole thing felt "cheap" ( not just the keys ) and I pretty much disliked playing it. Of course, it's important to note that at times my touch is heavier than probably most, ( I like it that way btw ) and I was always afraid I'd either break the thing outright or knock it over. I'm grateful for today's boards that allow me to adjust the velocity to my touch, otherwise much of what I play would be right around velocity #127

As I'm typing this, I'm also realizing that it's kind of ironic for me to be saying that, because over the years as my playing style has evolved ( or perhaps digressed ? ..lol ), I've noticed that my preference for key feel and accessories has changed as well. Years ago I used to prefer light synth action and organ feel because I was truly convinced I needed that for better expression control over my instrument, and in the early days I think I did have a lighter touch. Now I am more comfortable using a weighted feel. I also preferred joysticks over pitch mod wheels, until I got my original MZ2000 and then the Motif after that. Both of these boards have nice solid feeling pitch and mod wheels, and now I much prefer them over the joystick on my PA80.

I think if you like the action on a PSR Scott, you'd probably like the action on the M Audio controllers. It felt very similar to me. I'd recommend a little more research from other users though, in light of what Squeak shared with us. I'm guessing that a healthy pecentage of other M-Audio users might recommend a better quality controller. I traded mine away for some custom guitar work on my Les Paul.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 07-22-2006).]

#219771 - 07/22/06 07:56 PM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Dnj Offline

IMO the Roland A37 was one of the best I ever played......keyfeel, quality built, navagation superb.

#219772 - 07/23/06 01:06 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you like the key-feel of the G70/G1000/G800, but would prefer to run a Tyros2 (or whatever!), look for a used Roland A70.......

One of the best non-88 controllers ever made............

#219773 - 07/23/06 04:24 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I agree with Diki above, I used one of these controllers for quite a few years and the key feel and features were superb.

#219774 - 07/23/06 10:00 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I second that!!!

#219775 - 07/23/06 10:40 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

I play my Roland A-33 with my Tyros2 for gig situations when I need 76 keys. See guys, I remain BOTH a Roland & Yamaha fan.

Scott

#219776 - 07/23/06 03:07 PM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I have both the A33 (in permanent storage) and the A70 (which I love). I use the A70 to control 3 modules and my computer softsynths. Works great but a little complicated to set up if you want to control all the functions of say a module like the Motif ES rack. Really convenient having four (independent) midi outs. Plus mine had the JV expansion board installed. I keep being attracted to these newer boards but can't find a good reason to replace it (I guess it's MY G1000). If you can find a used one in good shape, hop on it.

chas

#219777 - 07/24/06 01:07 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
This isn't an answer to the question as such but ....

I was forced to retire my Ensoniq SD1 due to chronic old age (tuning instability)(I thik it;s the power supply!).

I was using this as "master" keyboard with my PSR3k and Yam MU80 as slaves.

The Ensoniq SD1 (like most Ensoniqs) has a very flexible split / layer control capability; in fact there are 12 "zones" available if you want.

So I looked for a "master" keyboard that could give me anything like the capability of the Ensoniq, at a reasable cost, preferably 6 octave, with patch memory, and with at least 3 "zones". It would have been nice to have some knobs, sliders or switches to control the MU80 in performance mode. 88 notes is just too big.

However, zilch.

The A33 fits the bill from build quality and 6 octaves, but only 2 zones....

The key feel on the M-Audio 88 note that I auditioned was horrible, although that has more zones and lots of controllers (but they are mostly useless to me, see below)

The CME items don't store patches. Neither do the budget Studiologic items.

All the "PC USB" master keyboards feel bad, even though some are nice and (also uselessly) knobby.

Nobody at any level has knobs / sliders / switches that are sufficiently programmable to the MU80 correctly in Performance mode. Given that Cakewalk has been sufficiently programmable on the PC to be able to do this for the paast 10 years, this was disaapointing. Where knobs are available, they drive the "easy" options only (standard controllers, RPN and sometimes NRPRN values)

So now I'm not using another keyboard at all and have completely inverted my control strategy.

The 3000 is used as a "master" keyboard but with no intelligence whatsoever; it's job is to send 5 octaves worth of note data out to the MU80. The MU80 has a set of carefully ordered custom performances used to provide "bread and butter" noises; Acoustic / Electric piano / Organ with or without String / Choir / Brass extras. In Performance mode the MU80 has 4 zones segretgated by note / velocity switching so with a bit of care this can be very effective. I think the Yamaha S30 / S80 / S90 have this option; in fact I looked for an S30 (but failed to find one) whilst exporing master keyboard possibilities. I use the 3k for solo voices and sometimes even more layered piano / woodwind stuff.

#219778 - 07/24/06 03:47 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
to the genesys Offline

What about the Novation controllers?

#219779 - 07/24/06 04:04 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
What about the Novation controllers?

Excellent, great navagation and super keyfeel too !!! little bit more expensive but we'll worth the bucks.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-24-2006).]

#219780 - 07/24/06 04:31 AM Re: Discussion on controller keyboards
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
I use a Fatar SL-880 in my home setup and have always loved the key feel. I've always heard good things about Fatar from other users too.
http://www.studiologic.net/

Carrie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online