SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#219723 - 10/03/04 06:26 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not aware of a kahlua bean, but in the orriginal recipe I used a vinilla bean for the added flavor. Unfortunately, using the bean took a couple weeks to get the flavor, so I switched to the extact which means you can start enjoying the stuff right away.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#219724 - 10/03/04 06:39 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
OK, well soy sauce and ginger would not have been my recommendation for salmon. Much better is Rosemary. So tell us, how did it all turn out??

------------------
Graham

#219725 - 10/03/04 07:39 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I used your recipe (brown sugar instead of honey) and it turned out superb. Fed me and brother and still a serving left over. This was a great big piece of salmon (said farm-raised in Chile) for only $7.

#219726 - 10/03/04 08:28 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
travlin'easy Offline

Chilean salmon is rated extremely high for freshness, flavor, least amount of contaminants and less likely to have bones in the fillets. Amazingly, the U.S. commercial fishing industry recently made claims that farm raised salmon were unsafe to eat and that only wild fish were safe--what a crock. Check out the health advisories on wild caught salmon VS Chilean, farm-raised salmon.

Gary

#219727 - 10/03/04 08:32 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
travlin'easy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
OK, well soy sauce and ginger would not have been my recommendation for salmon. Much better is Rosemary. So tell us, how did it all turn out??

The recipe I posted was an orriginal from a Japanese gourmet restaurant and was probably the best I've tasted in 50 years. I've tried a few recipes using rosemary, and they were pretty good, but pale in comparison to this one. I guess it's just a matter of personal tastes.

Gary

#219728 - 10/04/04 05:44 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Gary, looks like you're right. SemiLive loved it. I was feeling bad that I had recommended something that I would not have chosen myself.

------------------
Graham

#219729 - 10/09/04 07:10 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
mango Offline

Loc: usa
Well this site continues to be a uniquely edifying source of material! We are about to boil up a 50 gallon drum of kick-a-poo joy juice and if we can just shoot one of those ekusive tunas we will be grillin' along with chillin in no time! "hand me that rifle abner one a them thar tunas just jumped outta the pond agin"
Mike

#219730 - 10/10/04 05:09 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
I recently found an amazing way to cook salmon perfectly on the barbecue. You need one of those cuts that still has the skin on one side (nost grocery stores sell it this way). Get the grill nice and hot (pre-heat for about 10 minutes on high). The salmon itself can be basted with a little sauce (like teriyaki) and brush a little olive oil on the skin side to stop it from sticking.

Once the grill is nice and hot, turn the burners down to medium-low and place the salmon skin-side down on the grill. Then simply close the grill and leave it for 15 minutes - no turning, no pressing: nothing. You'll be amazed at how it turns out. The fish is perfectly moist and the meat just slides right off the skin which you simply discard when you're done.

#219731 - 10/10/04 10:48 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chris, it's good to see you posting again. Maybe your schedule has eased up a little?
Or maybe it's just a rainy Sunday, as it is here in Louisiana.
DonM

#219732 - 10/10/04 07:40 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Chris, it's good to see you posting again. Maybe your schedule has eased up a little?
Or maybe it's just a rainy Sunday, as it is here in Louisiana.
DonM

Thanks Don,

I still check the forum a few times a week, I just don't post very often ). If there's anything I can help with, I'll be there

Chris

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online