SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219035 - 08/04/03 10:17 AM Changing time signatures
Beakybird Offline

I play a Yamaha PSR2100. I was learning "All You Need is Love". There are a lot of measures with 3/4 time interspersed throughout the song. It is so difficult to play on my PSR2100 (It would be on the Tyros too). You have to press the SYNC START button at the end of the third beat and then immediately press the next chord for the start of the next measure. If you falter even a bit, it can sound horrible, even disasterous.

When I briefly owned the Solton X1, I remember that they had a button to start the style over from the moment it is pressed. With this feature, one can easily and seamlessly insert 3/4 and 2/4 measures into 4/4 songs. What a shame that Yamaha doesn't have this feature.

What do other Yamaha musicians do with this challenge? Does Korg, GEM, and Technics have the same feature as Solton?

Beakybird

#219036 - 08/04/03 10:20 PM Re: Changing time signatures
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Try this...if you can.
Set the sync button to "Start", then assign the start stop to a footswitch. You need to hit the f/s to stop it and thenext press of the keys will start it.
ie:

There's nothing you can do that can't be done....

On the word "done" ... you begin counting a 3/4 measure. Hit the stop switch on beat 3 - the next key press will then become downbeat ONE in a 4/4 measure.

#219037 - 08/05/03 02:08 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Beakybird Offline

Thank you UD. I'll experiment with that.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
No time signature you can sing that can't be sung
Just hit sync stop with your foot and the next chord played in time
It's easy

All you need is coordination

Beakybird

#219038 - 08/05/03 06:37 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

#219039 - 08/05/03 08:35 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Beaky...
I also , just by coincidence, put together "All You Need Is Love" on my T3. Basically, the easiest method was to put the song together as a compilation of a number of songs (each with their appropriate time signature), each appended to the end of the previous, time sig. changes perfectly, and one part runs into the other very smoothly. Worked for me.....

#219040 - 08/07/03 12:45 AM Re: Changing time signatures
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Beakybird, to answer your question, the Genesys (Generalmusic) does have this feature, which is really handy.

#219041 - 08/07/03 03:28 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Dnj Offline

leon,

can you post your version of the song for us to hear?

#219042 - 08/07/03 07:15 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD:
To answer your question, the Genesys (Generalmusic) does have this feature, which is really handy.

I hope the streamlined version of the Genesys has that feature also Paul. What is the time frame for the streamlined Genesys being released?-(The less-weighted version). And do they have a prototype already made? If so, how much will the streamlined version weigh? Still 61 Keys I would imagine, right? If they gave it 76 Keys the weight thing would probably be a problem again I would assume. Also, any chance of a third Right Hand Split on the new version or are all the specs going to be exactly the same? If not, will there be a "bigger" Hard Disk Drive in the streamlined version? Or the ability to add a "larger" Hard Drive than the standard 2 Gig Hard Drive? When they streamline it, will the Keyboard have a 'different' shape to it than the existing one? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just curious I guess.

PS: Paul, I will be up in Grants Pass this weekend. Any chance of demoing a Genesys or Genesys Pro in Grants Pass or the surrounding vicinity? If you could email me sometime today to let me know or just reply to this post would be fine too.

Best regards,
Mike

#219043 - 08/07/03 08:32 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Leon Offline

Dnj....Sorry, don't know how to do that. I don't use a computer in my recording and the cd's I master are cda format, unless I can somehow convert to midi, wav, mp3 or whatever. In any event, I've tried before unsuccessfully, and the format that my Korg creates cannot be read on a computer, or at least I don't know how to make a copy that can be read. Tried Pyro once unsuccessfully.

#219044 - 08/07/03 11:29 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Dnj Offline

Leon,

No problem. Here on the PSR Tutorial Site...
is a great lesson written by are own
Gary Diamond on recording with your KB to your PC, Easy and Inexpensivly...check it out, this will help you do it for sure.'
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Recording/LPR-MakeCD/lpr-makecd.htm

#219045 - 08/07/03 12:23 PM Re: Changing time signatures
Leon Offline

Thank you Donny and Gary...I haven't seen this before, and any help I'd asked for in the past went unanswered. It'll take me a while, gotta get more goodies first, but I'll definitely get going on this and see what comes out the other end. Thanx again for the link...and Gary, thanx for the info.
Wish me Luck!!
One concern: Please tell me I don'thave to go the MAC route.

#219046 - 08/09/03 01:24 AM Re: Changing time signatures
PaulD Offline

Mike,

The Genesys PRO is already shipping, and does have this feature. It also has a bigger hard drive and is consideribly lighter. Grants Pass, I live in the Eugene area, and I am in town this weekend, I could meet you somewhere to show you the Genesys. Send me an Email and we can work getting together.

PaulD@Generalmusic.US

Regards,

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

#219047 - 08/09/03 05:14 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Dnj Offline

Leon,

No Mac nessassary....you can achieve great results on PC for sure. I did all the demos on my website using this method all on my PC.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#219048 - 08/09/03 09:55 AM Re: Changing time signatures
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD:
Mike,

The Genesys PRO is already shipping, and does have this feature. It also has a bigger hard drive and is consideribly lighter. .

PaulD@Generalmusic.US

Regards,

Hi Paul,

I meant a streamlined version of the 'Genesys', not the Genesys Pro.

Didn't you say that they; "the Designing Engineers" were going to lighten the 'Genesys' by changing the Power Supply design, Transformer, possible Cabinet redesign, and other modifications to lighten the Genesys from it current weight of 55 lbs.? I would be more interested in the Genesys if this is the case. Being a gigging Musician I need a Keyboard that will be relatively portable plus have the added benefits of internal speakers. Also the way GEM seems to allocate Polyphony, ie., (in an excellent manner from what I understand), the Genesys's 64 note Polyphony might not be a hinderance when I solo gig and use all of the Keyboard's Arranger functions. The Genesys, being a High End Arranger could be a good candidate for my next Arranger if there is going to be a streamlined version of it.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Paul, check your email soon.

#219049 - 08/10/03 02:41 AM Re: Changing time signatures
PaulD Offline

Mike,

Their isn't plans on changing the cabinet of the genesys. Other details on what is in the works and what has been done or being done to the genesys, I am not allowed to comment on. That being said, Generalmusic is always working to make better music.

Paul

#219050 - 08/10/03 01:18 PM Re: Changing time signatures
Vadim Offline

There is hope in Roland Arranger keyboards .Roland VA 76/VA 7 has sequencer edit that you can insert different time signatures between parts which you want.But if you want to play it live its good too Roland Arranger keyboars like G-1000/em-2000 VA 7/76 have a button called "tempo reset" when you press it the style goes to beat 1 (and keeps on playing)that button was originaly disigned for if you sing and get alittle off beat you press the button and it goes to beat 1.I had a problem with different time signatures until igot VA76.

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 08-10-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online