SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#218935 - 01/11/04 06:41 AM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

oleg7, you presented a very good alternative to a completely software based arranger system. This can give you many choices in sound enhancements.

Another alternative might be to start with a workstation, e.g., Motif ES and use a laptop with a software based arranger, e.g., OMB or Live - Styler. The control surface may not be as good but it may support some of your other objectives (sounds, quality of keyboard, studio).

There are, of course, the very expensive approaches that may work for some, e.g., OpenLabs, Wersi, etc.

So as can be seen there are as many approaches as there are people. This makes it all very exciting. I have choosen to go the fully software based approach as a matter of principle and to prove that it is viable.

#218936 - 01/11/04 07:37 AM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
I've pretty much decided to join AJ both in keeping my Pa80 (I like being able to tweak/replace everything, including the factory styles) and get a MoES6 for better acoustic and analog sounds and then fill it up with the full 1 gig of sample ram. If need be, I can start it loading up and then go have breakfast so that when I come back and am ready to start work, it will be all loaded up and ready to go too. I plan to get the VL and 2 AN expansion cards and also get a BC3 to use with it. After that, I too will start to explore softsynths whenever I feel the need to "do more". However, it will take me a while to get the MoES6 under my belt, so the softsynth part is still a ways away. The great workable options in today's music world are truely mind blowing.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#218937 - 01/11/04 08:54 AM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
Dnj Offline

So Terry,

I see the seed is planted for your transformation to SoftSynth tecnology.....

comon I know you want it !!!

#218938 - 01/11/04 02:53 PM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I'll have to start studying this stuff sooner than I'd imagined.

Woke up to the news that Panasonic has closed down the music division of their operation. In short no more Technics keyboards.

Be ironic if Uncle Dave had finally found something that suited him .

Anyway it certainly makes the kn7 a keeper. Might even keep my VA7 as it may have been the last of the top end Roland arrangers also. Odd too. that the only psr announced to date has been the psr3000 ( mid priced) not top end arranger.

Strange stuff going on.

Maybe computer based arrangers etc will be with us , sooner than we expected.

Nigel may have to end up calling this forum
Synthzone Computer Arranger Forum instead. (haahaa)
Technology Marches On

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#218939 - 01/11/04 04:56 PM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

There are, of course, the very expensive approaches that may work for some, e.g., OpenLabs, Wersi, etc.

OpenLabs is hanging on by a thread. OpenLabs will be at Winter NAMM so it will be interesting to see and "hear" their new NEKO/64. Last years NAMM OpenLabs showcased the 'eKo' but the demonstration didn't include a "real" demonstration of somebody actually playing it. Hopefully they will play the NEKO so people have an idea of what it sounds like and what it can and can't do. Still, it's hard to justify forking over $6,500 (conservative figure) for a Keyboard. It would have to be the cat's meow and the bees knees and then some for people to buy it. How many people can afford $6,500 at the drop of a hat?? Hmmmm?!?!?!?

"Honey, could you go to the grocery store and pick up a few things we need? And btw, don't forget to drop by GC and pick up a NEKO64 will ya'? Cha Ching!! That will be $7,003 after tax. Is there anything else we can get you today? Hmmmm..??

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-11-2004).]

#218940 - 01/11/04 05:16 PM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, the same things happen in software as well, e.g., LiveSynth Pro disappeared suddenly. So changes can and do happen within the music industry. One can only hope there remains enough of a market, competition and innovation to keep us happy.

Yes, it probably is best to hang onto your KN. On the other hand you could sell it high to Dave and he in turn may have to sell it low. This could then be the start of compassionate capitalism - the first ever.

#218941 - 01/11/04 07:56 PM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mike,
are you serious? Wersi's in trouble too.

A friend of mine imported one into Aust. a year or 2 ago. He'll be devastated. He's not only got a Wersi, but has a kn7 as well.

That's sad.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B] OpenLabs is hanging on by a thread and Wersi just recently filed for Bankruptcy.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#218942 - 01/11/04 09:18 PM Re: VST soft synths.. a little OT at the present
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Mike,
are you serious? Wersi's in trouble too.

best wishes
Rikki

My mistake Rikki! It is NOT Wersi that filed for Bankruptcy. It is "Waldorf" that has filed for Bankruptcy. My apologies to the Group. Waldorf makes Synthesizers, uh, I mean, they USE to make Synthesizers. I amended my above post to correct for the error.

Your friend will be glad to hear that I'm sure Rikki.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-11-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online