SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#218780 - 12/08/00 11:34 AM Style Compatibility/Conversion
Nick_M Offline

Loc: Waukesha, WI, USA
Hello All,

Does anyone know if a style that is created on a Yamaha PSR 740 is directly compatible with a Roland G1000/EM2000. If not is there a conversion tool that is available to convert the style so that it will operate correctly on the Roland?

Thanx,

Nick

#218781 - 12/08/00 01:07 PM Re: Style Compatibility/Conversion
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nick,
The answer to your first question is "No" and to the second question "Yes".

"EMC StyleWorks Universal" PC software will convert styles back and forth (cross conversion) between ALL major arranger keyboard brands (except GEM?). "StyleWorks- Roland specific" or "StyleWorks-Yamaha specific" will convert other brand styles to that specific brand of arranger keyboard only (one way conversion). Though these programs are relatively expensive, if you want to do a lot of converting, it is very useful and will save you LOTS of time, and in the end, lots of $ as well. I especially like the "SMF to Style" portion of the "Styleworks" program. It is important to note though, that a conversion will never sound "exactly identical" to the original because the ROM sounds used by different manufacters are slightly different; but in general, I have experienced very satisfying conversion results.

You can purchase from: Tastenshop, atn: Klaus Grosser http://www.tastenshop.com/taste/

or if in the USA, contact:

Fran Carango:
francarango@nni.com

Be sure to tell them Scott Yee sent you.

- Scott

#218782 - 12/08/00 01:11 PM Re: Style Compatibility/Conversion
Nick_M Offline

Loc: Waukesha, WI, USA
Thanks Scott. Is there any shareware or free software out there that will do the same thing. I just don't want to pay the initial $$ to just convert a few styles. Are there any alternatives?

Nick

#218783 - 12/08/00 01:16 PM Re: Style Compatibility/Conversion
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nick,
I think Fran can send you a "limited time expiration" version of the EMC StyleWorks program which should allow you enough time to try out the program and convert a few styles as well.
- Scott

#218784 - 12/09/00 10:51 AM Re: Style Compatibility/Conversion
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Also, Nick, a lot of styles have already been converted by various players around here. And sometimes, some generous members will convert a few styles for you, if they have some time. What Yamaha-to-Roland styles are you looking for? Maybe someone here has them already.
Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online