SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218688 - 02/01/06 03:39 AM what would you do?
Jinks Offline

hi all, I need some help deciding what I need. I play piano and want to move on to create a more complete sound. i have no performing aspirations but would like to create stage accompanyments/backing for home parties etc. I have no keyboard experience and I am concerned at the reduced number of keys available with a keyboard. I don't envisage using a lot of the rhythm sections and generally speaking I'm looking to enhance the songs of people such as bruce hornsby, billy joel, elton etc. Do I need a synth or keyboard or just locking up?

#218689 - 02/01/06 04:40 AM Re: what would you do?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider the Yamaha DGX-500, which provides you with a lot of the same features that more expensive arranger keyboards offer, but at a substantially lower price. Lots of great voices, styles and it has 88 keys. It sells for about $599 in most retail outlets, however, some online stores sell it for less and throw in free shipping.

[img]http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/tech1global-store_1883_1031397[/img]

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#218690 - 02/01/06 04:44 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Thanks Gary I'll check it out
Quote:
Originally posted by Jinks:
hi all, I need some help deciding what I need. I play piano and want to move on to create a more complete sound. i have no performing aspirations but would like to create stage accompanyments/backing for home parties etc. I have no keyboard experience and I am concerned at the reduced number of keys available with a keyboard. I don't envisage using a lot of the rhythm sections and generally speaking I'm looking to enhance the songs of people such as bruce hornsby, billy joel, elton etc. Do I need a synth or keyboard or just locking up?

#218691 - 02/01/06 05:10 AM Re: what would you do?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Gareth (you just HAVE to be from Wales???)
Yes I would agree totally with Gary that the
DGX-500 is worth a long look.
I even considered getting this 88-key Board myself recently.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#218692 - 02/01/06 07:17 AM Re: what would you do?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
What about the DGX-505 which is newer and has better voices?

George

#218693 - 02/01/06 07:20 AM Re: what would you do?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yamaha Clavinovas are great if you can afford one and don't plan to move it.
DonM

#218694 - 02/01/06 07:33 AM Re: what would you do?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yes, the DGX 505 is the newer of the models. My understanding is that Yammie will be replacing the DGX 505 soon. I believe someone mentioned that the replacments were at winter NAMM.

I owned a DGX 505, not a bad instrument at all. I traded it for a Casio Privia 400 because I wanted a more acoustic type piano action. It came down to personal preference. For home I have a Clavinova CVP 307, in my opinion it's one of the best products avaliable. Everything from the action to the piano samples, styles and a lot other features. IMHO the pianos are so good that I sold my Samick grand piano to get the Clavinova. No need for frequent tunings, regulation and other work that acoustic pianos need to be kept in good shape.

#218695 - 02/01/06 07:57 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Thanks Eddie-yes I am indeed from God's chosen acre despite the probable result on Saturday! I'll check out your suggestion thanks again.
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
Hi Gareth (you just HAVE to be from Wales???)
Yes I would agree totally with Gary that the
DGX-500 is worth a long look.
I even considered getting this 88-key Board myself recently.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

#218696 - 02/01/06 07:59 AM Re: what would you do?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
My understanding is that Yammie will be replacing the DGX 505 soon. I believe someone mentioned that the replacments were at winter NAMM.

I had the opportunity (at Winter NAMM) to see, hear, and play the following new replacements:

YPG625
YPG525
YPG225

This included catching a terrific show demonstration of the Yamaha YPG625 digital piano, presented by: Martin Harris. Here are some image capture 'stills' I grabbed from the video movie I shot of the event:

Scott

#218697 - 02/01/06 07:59 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Thanks George I'll check out the DGX 505 also
Quote:
Originally posted by George V:
What about the DGX-505 which is newer and has better voices?

George

#218698 - 02/01/06 08:02 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Winter NAMM ? you've lost me sorry.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I had the opportunity (at Winter NAMM) to see, hear, and play the following new replacements:

YPG625
YPG525
YPG225

This included catching a terrific show demonstration of the Yamaha YPG625 digital piano, presented by: Martin Harris. Here are some image capture 'stills' I grabbed from the video movie I shot of the event:

Scott

#218699 - 02/01/06 08:10 AM Re: what would you do?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Winter NAMM ? you've lost me sorry.

NAMM Trade Show: January 19-22,2006

Scott

#218700 - 02/01/06 08:17 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Got you!
Quote:
NAMM Trade Show: January 19-22,2006

Scott

#218701 - 02/01/06 08:21 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

One of the features that I think is fantastic on, for example, the Yamaha PSR 3000 is the transposition button Will I get that on the keyboards and Synths that you have all recommended
Quote:

#218702 - 02/01/06 08:25 AM Re: what would you do?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
One of the features that I think is fantastic on, for example, the Yamaha PSR 3000 is the transposition button Will I get that on the keyboards and Synths that you have all recommended

YES. This is pretty much a standard feature included on all electronic keyboards & synths these days. - Scott

#218703 - 02/01/06 09:35 AM Re: what would you do?

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Yamaha/PR/DGX203-DGX305-DGX505.html

Gareth
Have a look at the above.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#218704 - 02/01/06 12:29 PM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Thanks again Eddie very interesting and useful. would you know if the transposition mechanism of most keyboards etc means that I can play in my preferred key but amend the audible key to suit the range of the vaoice?
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Yamaha/PR/DGX203-DGX305-DGX505.html

Gareth
Have a look at the above.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

#218705 - 02/01/06 06:14 PM Re: what would you do?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just a different option.
if you're only after backing tracks
( midifiles, mp3's etc ) and you you're not actually wanting to play accompaniment in real time, another option could be software
ie
Band in a Box http://www.pgmusic.com/
Jammer Pro 6 http://www.soundtrek.com/content/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=23

You could create arrangements & play along with your piano ( acoustic??)
(Demo's available)
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jinks:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#218706 - 02/01/06 06:21 PM Re: what would you do?
KN_Fan Offline

Quote:
YES. This is pretty much a standard feature included on all electronic keyboards & synths these days. - Scott

I can proudly say I have been playing in different keys for the past few months Being a member of a worship team at church pushed me quite a bit musically. OK...I can only play in a few keys (D,E,F,G,A and Bb) but better than only C

#218707 - 02/01/06 11:18 PM Re: what would you do?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
I can proudly say I have been playing in different keys for the past few months Being a member of a worship team at church pushed me quite a bit musically. OK...I can only play in a few keys (D,E,F,G,A and Bb) but better than only C

Why stop there? If you know D, E, F, G, A, Bb and C, you also know Bm, C#m, Dm, Em, F#m, Gm and Am.... that's 14 of 24... not too shabby

Is there anywhere on the web where it's possible to see and har those new yammies?

Doc-Z

#218708 - 02/02/06 12:17 AM Re: what would you do?

Quote:
. would you know if the transposition mechanism of most keyboards etc means that I can play in my preferred key but amend the audible key to suit the range of the vaoice?

Hi Jinks (hey, I just made a funny!)
The transposition to KB and separately to singing voice is certainly available on my PSR9000 but I don't know of any other board which does this.
Perhaps owners of others are out there and will help.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#218709 - 02/02/06 01:47 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

very interesting-thanks Rikki. What would something like this cost?
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
just a different option.
if you're only after backing tracks
( midifiles, mp3's etc ) and you you're not actually wanting to play accompaniment in real time, another option could be software
ie
Band in a Box http://www.pgmusic.com/
Jammer Pro 6 http://www.soundtrek.com/content/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=23

You could create arrangements & play along with your piano ( acoustic??)
(Demo's available)
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jinks:
[B]

#218710 - 02/02/06 04:51 AM Re: what would you do?
George V Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:

Is there anywhere on the web where it's possible to see and har those new yammies?

Doc-Z

Hi Doc,
You can see a small picture of the new YPG 625 at andy's music online . The link is at the lower-right corner of the main page.
I don't think there are any sound or video demos. These keyboards are not announced at the official Yamaha sites yet.

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 02-02-2006).]

#218711 - 02/02/06 05:23 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Hi George, been onto Andy's Music site.com for look at the new YPG's-Question.. would you know at this stage what can,t I do with a YPG/DGX 505 that I can do with a PSR 3000 (altho I am concerned with the number of keys with a PSR) if that doesn't demand too long an answer and how does it relate to my original question? Thanks Jinks
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
[b]

Doc-Z

Hi Doc,
You can see a small picture of the new YPG 625 at andy's music online . The link is at the lower-right corner of the main page.
I don't think there are any sound or video demos. These keyboards are not announced at the official Yamaha sites yet.

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 02-02-2006).][/B]

#218712 - 02/02/06 09:50 AM Re: what would you do?
George V Offline

Quote:
Hi George, been onto Andy's Music site.com for look at the new YPG's-Question.. would you know at this stage what can,t I do with a YPG/DGX 505 that I can do with a PSR 3000 (altho I am concerned with the number of keys with a PSR) if that doesn't demand too long an answer and how does it relate to my original question? Thanks Jinks
Hi Gareth,
The differences between the DGX and PSR 3000 are huge - the 3000 has far better sounds, and styles (these are pre-recorded patterns for accompaniment), and a vocal harmoniser. It is better in every aspect except the number of keys, and price. Some SZ member complain that the keyboard action is cheesy (I think they mean that the keys are unweighted).
On the other hand, if you are accustomed to the key action of the acoustic piano you'd better wait till june when the piano action keyboard YPG 625 will be available on the market. It seems that it will be of decent quality for the music you like to play. The key here is that since Scott Yee, who is a profesional, has been impressed by the new YGP, the 625 worths.

I can't recommend getting a DGX since these keyboards are already outdated.
The YPG 625 is an inexpensive piano that has real Hammer action and lots of sounds and goodies. In my honest opinion it would be an excellent solution for a hobbyist who is accustomed to acoustic piano (bear in mind that I judge this from the specifications only, there is no video or sound demo available!!!)

The YPG 525 replaces the DGX-505 and will be sold at the same price (around $600)
The YPG 225 replaces the DGX-205 and will be sold at the same price (around $350).

However, relating to this sentence in your original post
Quote:
i have no performing aspirations but would like to create stage accompanyments/backing for home parties etc
I think that the PSR-3000 might suit your needs better.

You'd better try the PSR-3000 and the DGX-505 at the store. And don't forget to see the video demos at yamaha europe site . You'll get an impression what these keyboards are about. If you do not know what the vocal harmonizer is check out the PSR2100 demo.

Good luck!

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 02-02-2006).]

#218713 - 02/02/06 01:18 PM Re: what would you do?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Jinks
Jammer Pro starts at $129 http://www.soundtrek.com/catalog/
Band in a Box starts at $88 http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm#1

Bear in mind your computer needs to have certain system requirements ( should be listed on the sites), and you'd need either a software synthesizer or a soundmodule or synth midied to your computer.

Basically you type in a chord progression, choose a style & the program creates a backing track. (They actually do more than that, thought).
Don't forget there's free demo's on site, so TRY before you consider buying.
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
very interesting-thanks Rikki. What would something like this cost?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#218714 - 02/03/06 12:15 AM Re: what would you do?
Jinks Offline

Thanks George lots of useful info I'll wait to try the new YPG in June. I don'tfeel at this time that 61 keys will do very much for me so in the meantime I'll try the DGX to get a feel of the diff between one and the other (PSR)and maybe the YPG will make up for the many differences you mentionI'm happy to spend around £1,000-the only other products I've read about are the Korg Triton Le 88 weighted although it's probably too much as will the Roland G70 and Yamaha S90ES
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Hi George, been onto Andy's Music site.com for look at the new YPG's-Question.. would you know at this stage what can,t I do with a YPG/DGX 505 that I can do with a PSR 3000 (altho I am concerned with the number of keys with a PSR) if that doesn't demand too long an answer and how does it relate to my original question? Thanks Jinks
Hi Gareth,
The differences between the DGX and PSR 3000 are huge - the 3000 has far better sounds, and styles (these are pre-recorded patterns for accompaniment), and a vocal harmoniser. It is better in every aspect except the number of keys, and price. Some SZ member complain that the keyboard action is cheesy (I think they mean that the keys are unweighted).
On the other hand, if you are accustomed to the key action of the acoustic piano you'd better wait till june when the piano action keyboard YPG 625 will be available on the market. It seems that it will be of decent quality for the music you like to play. The key here is that since Scott Yee, who is a profesional, has been impressed by the new YGP, the 625 worths.

I can't recommend getting a DGX since these keyboards are already outdated.
The YPG 625 is an inexpensive piano that has real Hammer action and lots of sounds and goodies. In my honest opinion it would be an excellent solution for a hobbyist who is accustomed to acoustic piano (bear in mind that I judge this from the specifications only, there is no video or sound demo available!!!)

The YPG 525 replaces the DGX-505 and will be sold at the same price (around $600)
The YPG 225 replaces the DGX-205 and will be sold at the same price (around $350).

However, relating to this sentence in your original post
Quote:
i have no performing aspirations but would like to create stage accompanyments/backing for home parties etc
I think that the PSR-3000 might suit your needs better.

You'd better try the PSR-3000 and the DGX-505 at the store. And don't forget to see the video demos at yamaha europe site . You'll get an impression what these keyboards are about. If you do not know what the vocal harmonizer is check out the PSR2100 demo.

Good luck!

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 02-02-2006).][/B]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online