Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#218461 - 03/29/06 07:29 AM Re: Z5500: second center speaker
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bthmedicinetree:
I was persuaded by a salesman at guitar center to get a used pair of JBL EON 15 speakers (both powered) for $320, this a good deal? Do you think I'll be able to cut through my band better with this pair rather than the Logitech Z5500 system? Of course the salesman said I would, but I'd like to hear from you guys...Will I get less distortion/better quality when I crank to compete with a very loud band with this setup rather than the Z5500?

You are not comparing apples to apples here. The powered Eon 15s are much louder and more efficient. They each have two amplifiers, one for highs and one for lows, with a built-in crossover. You got a great deal. Don't look back.
By the way, if the Eons get scratched up, you can smooth them out with sandpaper!
They do mark easily, but that's o.k.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 03-29-2006).]

#218462 - 03/29/06 08:57 AM Re: Z5500: second center speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

Loc: cranston, RI, USA
thanks for the reply Don.
yes, these ones have lots and lots of marks and scratches, but the casing looked pretty rugged so im not going to worry too much about it, they do stand up to abuse well right?
thanks

#218463 - 03/29/06 11:02 AM Re: Z5500: second center speaker
miden Offline

Loc: The World
if they are the older model eons, just be careful not to put too much thru them in the 40 to about 180hz range (this is mostly kick drum, and lower bass) they have a habit of blowing woofers if they get too much signal at those frequencies...it didnt seem to be a problem with later models though...
dennis

#218464 - 03/30/06 08:52 AM Re: Z5500: second center speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

Loc: cranston, RI, USA
Well the only thing thats going through them is going to be keyboard, no drums so I don't think those frequencies will be there, I do play some stuff that is really low though such as low strings, this could blow my speakers you're saying?

#218465 - 03/30/06 10:08 AM Re: Z5500: second center speaker
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi, in that situation you would probably be ok, but keyboard generated instruments can produce some low notes ... a double bass's lowest note is in the same frequency range for example...though in the case of strings, it is not very often you would be down that low, and they lack the dynamic "punch" of particularly the kick drum, which has a very sharp transient peak and it is very repetitive ...BUT the first release units did have a habit of burning out their coils (commonly referred to as blowing up),or the other thing was that the cone extended so far on the particular woofer that jbl used, that the coil wires broke i am not sure of the numbers as it was hearsay amongst audio techs i dealt with, but significant enough for it to be a topic of conversation, much the same as the power supplies causing damage on behringer gear being used in australia...
bthmedicine, this is only a "heads up" as a)it happened to me and b) audio techs confirmed it was a problem with some, not all!!
dennis
PS i think JBL changed the woofer in later models..mine were the first release, which was about 1998-99 somewhere around then...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online