SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218392 - 11/17/02 10:48 AM Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The following thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/005123.html

has raised some questions I have regarding just how 'non transferable' owner US warranties work.

1) Is the manufacterer's warranty ONLY granted:
a) to the person who actually purchased the item
or:
b) to the person's name 'written in' on the warranty card returned to the manufacterer?

Some receipts, especially from big box stores (Guitar Center, etc) don't include the purchaser's name, so how would the manufacterer know who actually originally purchased the product, especially if it was a cash transaction? Also, if you do send in the warranty card, there's always the off chance it never reached the manufacterer, especially since most warranty cards these days are basically just postcard size thin pieces of paper which can easily get lost in the US mail system.

2) Suppose I want to purchase a keyboard as a gift for someone but want to keep the price I paid discrete. Does that mean that the gift recipient doesn't actually own the keyboard, and that all warranty service would have to go through me?

3) How about those stores that offer a 30 day return policy and advise you to wait until close to the end of the 30 day period before sending in the warranty card? Who's covered during that period?

The bottom line question is: What specific document(s) does the manufacterer use to determine if warranty service will be provided or not: The person listed on the warranty card or the actual invoice receipt itself?

I hope somebody can help 'clear up' the confusion.

Thanks,

Scott

#218393 - 11/17/02 03:24 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Scott,
You bring up a good point !!
However I think that most companies would honor the "end user" and all they would have to do is provide a serial number to prove the product is in fact in there posession.
I had (and still have) a "Pioneer LD" player that was out of warranty by almost 8 months and "Pioneer" paid the complete cost of having the unit fixed. All they asked for was the serial # to verify that I was still in possession of that player and then they took care of the rest.
O-BTW , Over the years I have had to deal with many companies and I can tell you all that "Pioneer" is first class in my book !
jedi

#218394 - 11/17/02 03:51 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
Over the years I have had to deal with many companies and I can tell you all that "Pioneer" is first class in my book !
jedi

Hi Jedi: Hmmm. maybe we need to convince 'Pioneer' to enter the arranger keyboard market.

Ok, I'm curious (especially after now discovering that Ketron doesn't provide any kind of 'owner transferable' warranty coverage), what the OTHER manufacterer's provide: GEM, Korg, Roland, Technics, Yamaha, etc.

Is a 'non-transferable warranty' considered the norm (or exception) for arranger keyboard purchases?

#218395 - 11/17/02 05:29 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Every keyboard manufacturer that I can think of, warrants the instrument for a stated period of time to the original purchaser with the original sales receipt from an authorized dealer.

#218396 - 11/17/02 05:58 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Fran, Thanks

Sounds like from what you're saying, that mailing in the warranty card is inconsequential because the warranty is based on the receipt (with serial #).

My guess then, is to insure later instrument ownership transferibility, to obtain a receipt that doesn't print the original purchaser's name, such as most big box chain stores do, and to pay in cash. This way the receipt can be safely transfered to whoever you want, be it for a christmas or birthdya gift recipient, or someone who buys it from you later on, right?

#218397 - 11/17/02 08:34 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Often warranties are fairly specific and only pertain to the original purchaser and are non transferable. Dependent upon which state you reside in your rights as a consumer under a warranty may differ greatly. Most manufacturers will repair the product as long as the person filing the warranty claim can show proof of purchase along with the serial number. Many items can be traced by the serial number as to the exact date of sale and the warranty period starts from that date. Its always best to check with the manufacture to see how they handle warranty claims especially if your product was received as a gift. While most manufacturers back what they sell without ever questioning the claimant, there's always those few people who try to pull a fast one on the manufacturer and that will often cause the process to not work as smoothly for others.

#218398 - 11/17/02 08:35 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, Honorable and conforming dealers always want to place the purchaser's name on the receipt. If it is to be a gift, the warranty would still be covered through the purchaser's name..so there is no problem..If it is sold and the original owner is out of the picture, than there could be a problem.. But as DanO suggested, distributors as Solton /Ketron , Lou, would probally honor a warranted problem, although he would not be obligated to do so..Courtesy goes a long way , both customer and dealer..

#218399 - 11/18/02 06:31 AM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Scott,

I've seen Crate speakers with a little card hanging on them boasting of a 5 year transferrable warranty. Maybe this will go away or become industry standard down the line.

Remember when warranties on autos were 1 year. Now drive tranes are warranted for up to 5 years or 100,000 miles.

#218400 - 11/18/02 12:06 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Honorable and conforming dealers always want to place the purchaser's name on the receipt. If it is to be a gift, the warranty would still be covered through the purchaser's name..so there is no problem..If it is sold and the original owner is out of the picture, than there could be a problem.. But as DanO suggested, distributors as Solton /Ketron , Lou, would probally honor a warranted problem, although he would not be obligated to do so..Courtesy goes a long way , both customer and dealer..

It's like what Terry said earlier, just because it's policy, doesn't mean the manufacturer can't do what's "right". I tell my staff to "treat your customers how you would expect to be treated". That's usaually good enough to cover most situations.

Midnite

#218401 - 11/18/02 01:13 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
In Califrnia for sure and I do believe it to be federal law as well. All that is needed during the warranty period is a dated sales receipt from an authorized dealer.

There was a big to do seceral years back over the warranty card issue and companies backing out of warranty repairs, because the card had not been mailed in. Although I do not recall all the secifics, I am sure the feds passed a law that all is needed is a dated sales receipt.

That is why most of the time now you see things on the warranty card like.....free magazine, or keep you aware of updates, or free whatever.....for mailing the cards in.
Terry

#218402 - 11/18/02 07:56 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
One of the reasons the company warranty is valid only to the original purchaser, is because of "transshipping." A shady dealer can order 10 times the product he can sell and ship the excess to a non-dealor a long distance from him. He thinks that dealor will not effect his sales, because he is far from his territory. The unauthorized outlet, can then sell the product below the price that a small family business can purchase it for from the company, because he bought them at slightly over dealor cost, and with no service, requires little profit from each sale. The shady dealor in turn can make a better profit, because his volume increase from the manufacturer, allows him a better price. The more you buy (within reason) the cheaper you can get them. This practice is widely abused in the U.S., and the only loser of course will be the customer, because he will have no factory warranty. This unethical method of merchandising is difficult to stop, because, when the authorized dealor purchases the product, it belongs to him, and he can give it away or do anything else he wants to with it. The Supreme Court confirmed this, in a case brought by Argus Camera Company, years ago.
So, when it comes to warranties, you had better be sure exactly who is giving the warrantee, exactly how long it is in force, and how long has the source been in business.
Remember-----buyer beware----------ARJ

#218403 - 11/18/02 08:08 PM Re: Question re: Non-Transferable Warranties !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
. . .Then the companies (Yamaha for example) should offer ALL dealers the same price, regardless of the number ordered. That way the small local dealers could compete fairly with the internet "giants".
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online