SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#218254 - 02/23/04 06:30 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
Dnj Offline

I'v thought about a 61 Fatar KB & LT arr software combo for my stage gigs....but it seems the technology isnt ready for that yet.....I hope it will be available in the near future..I'm a stickler for Lightweigh, asy transport when it comes to my gear!

PS.. Welcome to the SZ

#218255 - 02/23/04 06:32 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the asylum. A little insanity seems to go a long way here, but we all have lots of fun. As for the key feel, it's an issue with some folks here, but the main features that most seem to want are quality voices and a variety of great sounding styles. As for packing an 88-key rig on the job, it would be too cumbersome for the vast majority of the performing artists on this, or most other sites.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#218256 - 02/23/04 07:55 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The key feel on the Casio WK3500 is great. On a Casio!!! There is no reason (other then greed) for Yamaha not to match the Casio quality of keys.
Bluezplayer said, "I thought that the 2k's organs needed updating too". The PSR1500/PSR3000 are to have organ modeling. We'll see if that makes a difference.
Starkeeper

#218257 - 02/23/04 07:58 PM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi Carrie, what kind of music are you performing on your Fatar?

For 2 years I gigged with a Roland A-80 master keyboard, along with a Yamaha EMT-10 sound module. It was really nice having the 88 weighted, piano action, ivory keys, but...

As Gary mentioned, in the end it became just too cumbersome (about 100lbs in its flight case) requiring two people to move.. and an estate car!

I later switched to a 76-key Roland D-70/PRO-E combo.

I still have the A-80... they don't make 'em like that anymore...

All the best,
Rich

#218258 - 02/24/04 12:04 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
Carrie-uk Offline

Hi Rich,

I don't perform anywhere at the moment. I was in a goth/rock band for a while and used my Yamaha CS6x for gigs as it was mostly strings and synth sounds.

While I was still living in America (moved to England 3 years ago), I used to play for a restaurant occasionally which was great cause I played all my own stuff on the piano. I threw in the odd Jim Brickman, Yanni and show tunes too. lol.

I guess I'm not as bothered about key feel as some people because my keyboards tend to stay in my little home studio most of the time, and all I ever play is the Fatar SL-880 controller!

Your music is really good Rich! I was pleasantly surprised when I listened to it. You look like Keanu Reeves too, which is never a bad thing in my book. lol.

Carrie

#218259 - 02/24/04 08:17 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
RichUK Offline

Hi Carrie,

I'm not performing anywhere at the moment either...

It seems you used to play the same sort of music at your restaurant gigs as I did at mine (a Chinese restaurant in Southsea). I also found it the right kind of environment to play my own music (which is mostly instrumental piano-based music anyway).

Regarding key feel... I played my niece's Yamaha PSR290 last week... didn't even think to notice what the key feel was like, we were having too much fun! heheh

I'm glad you enjoyed the songs on my website, thanks Do you have anything available to listen to?

All the best,
Rich

#218260 - 02/24/04 09:28 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Carrie,

A BIG welcome to the Synthzone forum !

Getting my start as a piano player, I used to gig with a 76 note fully weighted piano action Fatar 1176 , but even that got too much of a pain to drag around. Admittedly, it took a some (a LONG) time (months) to adjust o playing on a synth action board, but now feel the time wood shedding was well worth the time & effort. I had no problem adjusting to the squishy feel synth weight keys of my PSR2000 (rumored to be the same feel as the PSR3000). Just take the approach to playing synth keys different than playing piano keys and you'll be fine with the PSR3000 or Tyros (the one I own).

Carrie, Would love to hear your music.

Scott
http://scottyee.com

#218261 - 02/24/04 11:46 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
No dis-respect intended but the PSR2000 keys felt like utter crap next to my Roland VA5.

#218262 - 02/24/04 11:51 AM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
YamBox Offline

Loc: Finland
I don't quite understand the fuzz about the keyfeel... Allthough I find 2k's keys easiest to use so far, I'm not scared of different keyfeels. I set my priorities, when upgrading, in sounds mostly, styles and OS. And of course at least 61 keys... And so on and so on...

I'm sure everyone has his/hers own priorities in these things and others too.

And keyfeel gets the most fuzz... I just don't get it.. But I don't even have to!

#218263 - 02/24/04 03:41 PM Re: Is the PSR3000 going to be worth it
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Well said YamBox!! The sound is what counts the most...........If key feel is such an issue, why can't one use a midi controller keyboard with the PSR? I get tired of keyboards always being compared to a piano. I was never a piano player. Our home always had a console organ. Key timing and release were more important than velocity and "feel". Don't blame YOUR instrument because it doesn't behave like a different one..................

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online