SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#218192 - 04/30/06 06:22 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
Dnj Offline

Eric thanx for the links....

I saw the pics of the Bose 161's....
I guess the satelites are powered by the sub correct?

#218193 - 04/30/06 06:29 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Donny,

"I guess the satelites are powered by the sub correct?"
Donny; I only have the same info that you have through the link.
Sorry I don't know.
But you could post the question on that forum and you might get the answer.

Good luck with your T2 decision...

Eric

#218194 - 04/30/06 06:33 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

I saw the pics of the Bose 161's....
I guess the satelites are powered by the sub correct?

Bingo

#218195 - 05/01/06 12:43 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
Dnj Offline

Ok ROUND #2 TYROS2 Questions........I was honered today by actually Playing a TYROS 2 with the kindness of SZ member & pro KB Player Alex Green who lives in my area & has always been a great friend. Now that Ive played a T2....What can I say? I was pretty much blown away at the fantastic sound & styles, ease of use out of the box, navagational layout, quality build, nice weight, excellent color display screen, big lit buttons, vocal efx, improved keyfeel, recording ability & much more......I really enjoyed the T2 experience today. I do have a few more questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer them...........?

1-While trying sounds in the sound banks I cam across Trumpet Shake & other(SA) sounds but when I tried playing them it was just a normal trumpet without the shake.......is there some way to access & use these new SA sounds or did I do something wrong when playing them? I read that you need to use the Mod wheel....or a Pedal fopr SA sounds....is this true?

2- Can someone explain what the extra opional RAM will let a player benefit from?

3- I tried recording a song w/ vocals but only the music was recorded.....I would assume you need a HD installed to get the benefits of Voc Recording also with the music w/2 Tracks? & would it save it afterwards as a WAV file on the HD to be able to play/or?

4- Can the multipads be saved to memory to be used with a certain registration?

5-Can OTS sounds be saved & recalled to a style without having to save the styles to USER first & renaming it like on the 3k?

6- I guess you need to install the CD in order to use the USB transfer program....does the tyros 2 come up as a extra drive on the PC?

More to come ......Thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-01-2006).]

#218196 - 05/01/06 07:02 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I am fortunate enought to possess a CD of Alex Green, which he did some years ago on Technics KN6500. I can only imagine how good he makes the T2 sound. Any new CDs, Alex?
DonM

#218197 - 05/01/06 08:29 PM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
Dnj Offline

Yes Don.....Alex has a new CD Out....
I'm listening to it as we speak....
Recorded on the T2 wonderful stuff!

he also has 33 Vol. of songs here...
http://www.psrtutorial.com/P/Green.html

#218198 - 05/02/06 03:42 AM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ok ROUND #2 TYROS2 Questions........I was honered today by actually Playing a TYROS 2 with the kindness of SZ member & pro KB Player Alex Green who lives in my area & has always been a great friend. Now that Ive played a T2....What can I say? I was pretty much blown away at the fantastic sound & styles, ease of use out of the box, navagational layout, quality build, nice weight, excellent color display screen, big lit buttons, vocal efx, improved keyfeel, recording ability & much more......I really enjoyed the T2 experience today. I do have a few more questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer them...........?

1-While trying sounds in the sound banks I cam across Trumpet Shake & other(SA) sounds but when I tried playing them it was just a normal trumpet without the shake.......is there some way to access & use these new SA sounds or did I do something wrong when playing them? I read that you need to use the Mod wheel....or a Pedal fopr SA sounds....is this true?

For some sounds, you need the wheel or a foot pedal, but most other sounds like the trumpet are velocity sensitive. When I first got my Tyros2, I had to bang the keys hard to get that effect. I had to adjust my velocity settings as I play with a light touch. Works like a charm now. Another nice feature on the T2, there is a HELP button under the LCD which describes the voice and SA effect and describes how to play it.

2- Can someone explain what the extra opional RAM will let a player benefit from?

The Optional RAM will allow you to load custom voices from WAV files. That's IT!
For the song, "Man I feel Like a Woman", I actually sampled the signature intro into a WAV file and now sync that to a registration and call it up on demand. Very Cool. You can actually do drum loops this way.

3- I tried recording a song w/ vocals but only the music was recorded.....I would assume you need a HD installed to get the benefits of Voc Recording also with the music w/2 Tracks? & would it save it afterwards as a WAV file on the HD to be able to play/or?

Yes...you need the hard disk. Recording to the HD is so easy. Very Clean and powerful. I rehearse with this on all the time and playback my performance just to hear how crappy it really is and what I need to work on.

4- Can the multipads be saved to memory to be used with a certain registration?

Yes. But you want to save to hard disk as well so you have them backed up properly.

5-Can OTS sounds be saved & recalled to a style without having to save the styles to USER first & renaming it like on the 3k?

When editing the OTS sounds, I save to a registration which doesn't alter the original style, so I guess it's not really a user style.

6- I guess you need to install the CD in order to use the USB transfer program....does the tyros 2 come up as a extra drive on the PC?

I did not use the CD in order to transfer files to the Tyros. Windows Explorer simply sees it as an L: drive on my machine. You can Drag and Drop files, manager folders, etc etc. You must hold down the Musicfinder button while you power on the T2 in order to get into USB/PC connection mode. Then simply hit the Exit button when you are done and the Tyros will setup in regular music mode. I'm very careful here because of the hard disk. If you power off and power on the tyros too quickly, I'm afraid of damaging the hard disk. I have not heard of any reports of this, but I'm very cautious by nature.

More to come ......Thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-01-2006).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#218199 - 05/02/06 04:35 AM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Dnj - Just a clarification on some of the points.

The additional RAM is for loading user samples and mapping them to the T2 Keyboard. These can be real drum loops (ala Ketron), intruments, vocals or special effects. You use cheap (old) 16pin PC100 or PC133 memory.

I bought 1 Gbyte second user memory on Ebay - its cheap and works fine. The more memory you have the more samples you can map. Just remember you need to populate both slots with the same type and value memory SIMMS. You load the memory with samples stored on your HD so bear this in mind when selecting a size of HD - I put in an 80Gyte (agin second user from Ebay).

Yes you can store a multipad set to a registration - I use this quite a lot as I often mute the accompanyment guitar(s) and use one of the new electric or accoustic guitar strums in the m/pads. However, The registration doesn't store which if any of the 4 buttons you have selected which is a tiny oversight on Yamaha's part..

The vocal harmoniser is definately improved as Scott reported. I now use the "LOW" setting for vocal range on the MIC settings page and get better results. It's not perfect but it's very useable now for gigging and recording. I must admit I had not even notices this setting until Scott told me about it.

The lyrics display uses a variety of fixed or proportional fonts. The fixed fonts are a must if you also display chord symbols either above or below the words in order to show the chord changes in the correct places.

You can call up the lyrics from a dedicated "Text/Lyric" button on the T2 and view different pages by either using the forward and back buttons on the screen or a footpedal.

I use neither as I use multiple registrations for the words. I tend to build voices or variations for each verse or chorus so I put just the words for each section on to a different registration. This also allows me to use the largest sized fonts for the words as I am a little batlike with my vision. This works great if (like me) you want to keep a good song going as you can go straight to another chorus or verse and when you change the registration the words change also.

Is is difficult to be precise about the improved keyfeel. When I first got the T2 I noticed the difference at once but soon got used to it. However. I tried a T1 in the store the other day and boy did that feel like a backward step. Having said that, I never found the T1 keys to be a problem.

I also had to adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard for my playing style in order to get the best out of the SA voices. The footpedal or wheel is not the main control for the SA voices - your playing is.

In addition to velocity, it makes a difference as to whether you play legato or not. The guitars are particularly good if you play a legato upper interval of a fourth or less as this then slides up to the new note from the lower one. In addition, some of the SA effects are random or occur when you play the last note of a phrase (like string noise). It's surprising as to how quickly you can adapt your style.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards - Keith F

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 05-02-2006).]

#218200 - 05/02/06 10:47 AM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
HI DM;

Email me your home mailing address and I will be happy to send you my latest CD on Tyros 2.
The sounds are awesome. Best sounding keyboard I have ever owned.

It was my pleasure to have Donny down. The time went by so quickly. A sure sign we were having a great time.

Donny made my T2 really swing. He played it like he had it for months not for the first time.
I had mine for a few days and I was able to record 10 songs for Joe Waters great PSR site. Thats how easy it is to navigate this outstanding keyboard.

I have never enjoyed playing a keyboard as much as I have with my Tyros 2.
The best investment I have ever made.

Alex

#218201 - 05/02/06 11:35 AM Re: Tyros Questions for Scott Yee & All Users.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Alex, I sent you an email. Thanks! When I get a new CD ready, you'll be the first to get one, so be warned.
DonM

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online