SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217947 - 10/21/07 05:04 PM Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Traynor K4 sounds ok but i'm finding I prefer pole mounts. I already have a Makie 808S so I figure I'd spring for a pair of good sounding non-powereds. Cheap, er inexpensive, would be nice. There's been some stir lately about the PR15N. I don't feel I need a 15" but at 199.00 and lite weight, what the hell. Any other suggestions as I plan to get them off the 'net (free shipping + no tax). They'll be used to drive my C1 organ and SonicCell. Probably no vocals (certainly no;t by me).

thanks,

chas

PS: I have a pair of Cerwin Vegas (12's) but they sound pretty crappy with the 808s.

#217948 - 10/21/07 05:23 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
a friend of mine has a pair of the pr 12's with a powered mixer they sound great for the money and weight, he sings plays guitar and backing tracks through them.

#217949 - 10/21/07 05:31 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
miden Offline

Loc: The World
EV SX300, imo the best speakers for vocals in the inexpensive range, and light...(they have been out for a while now so the prices are tumbling, must be a new model coming out..

#217950 - 10/21/07 06:08 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by miden: EV SX300, imo the best speakers for vocals in the inexpensive range, and light...(they have been out for a while now so the prices are tumbling, must be a new model coming out..
are those the same model EV spkrs Scotty Yee was recommending?

#217951 - 10/21/07 06:25 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
wondering how the PR10N (20 lbs, $150) compares to the JBL EON 10 sound-wise?

#217952 - 10/21/07 07:07 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I heard the PR10's and they don't have the sound or drive of the JBL 10 Eon G2's.

The PR12 both powered and non-powered sound good and can get really loud.

The non-powered 12's are only 24 lbs and the powered 12's are only 34 pounds now.

I'm considering some presently.

#217953 - 10/21/07 07:18 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Chas,

I used the Peavey PR15's mounted on poles this summer and they kick. It's too bad they weren't mine. I loved the sound AND the weight.

Tom

Tom

#217954 - 10/21/07 07:24 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Scott Langholff Offline

Am wondering if anyone has compared the Peavey PR12's yet with the Behringer B212's.

The Behringers are about 26 lbs unpowered and 36 lbs powered.

The dimensions are:

Peavey: 18w x 23.75h x 14d
Behringers: 14w x 22h x 11d

Interesting to see that Behringer is supposed to be made in the same factory as Mackie these day's. I knew they had switched to making them in, what China I believe, but I hadn't heard about being made in the same factory as Mackie. I wonder if that part is truly factual. http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR12N
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR12PN
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212A

I noticed some of the weights listed at zzsounds are incorrect.

I understand the PR15's sound good from people who have used them. I decided not to even try them because of there size. Way too big for my taste.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-21-2007).]

#217955 - 10/21/07 07:27 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
In order of preference:
EV SX300 (200)most expensive of the three
Mackie i300
Peavey PR12 (15)least expensive.

All three would benefit from a powered sub like the EV Sba120, especially if you're running your keys and sounds thru them.

I think I said the first time you mentioned those Cerwin-Vegas that you should dump them. I'm not a fan of JBL's, tho they are good speakers. I think the EV's are livelier, while the JBL's are rawer and deader. The Mackies are a nice compromise and the Peavey's are a great bargain for the sound.

#217956 - 10/21/07 07:34 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I'm not a fan of JBL's, tho they are good speakers. I think the EV's are livelier, while the JBL's are rawer and deader. The Mackies are a nice compromise and the Peavey's are a great bargain for the sound.

Interesting that I like the sound of the JBL 10 over the 15. As a matter of fact, when I tried the 15" sound speakers of all the big names it, to me and my wifes ears added more crud to the sound. They were loud but not so pretty to the ears.

#217957 - 10/21/07 07:48 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi keysvocalsax,
sorry i dont know...but if he was, he seems to know what's what, so his view would be valid too...i agree with another post on this thread, and that is when playing keys and say, midi files, you do need a sub with them, although in small venus i can get away with just them as the yammie amp has a special "YS Processing" switch which pumps the lower end a little more...my system is a pair of 15 subs, the ev sx300's on top driven by a yamaha P5000s amp..
dennis

#217958 - 10/21/07 08:00 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

#217959 - 10/22/07 04:18 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
wondering how the PR10N (20 lbs, $150) compares
to the JBL EON 10 sound-wise?

I have the pr 10p, the powered version and side by side you can't tell the difference.

But if you're going to use them for the organ I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15 unless you play real small rooms at real low volume. Unless, of course, you plan on using a sub.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-22-2007).]

#217960 - 10/22/07 05:16 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cgiles Offline

Thanks guys, I'm too lazy to do much more reasearch so I'm sure I'll buy something from the selection you provided.

Cassp, you're right. The CV's ain't cutting it anymore. Maybe they never did but I always liked the size, weight, and the fact that the charcoal grey carpeted cabinets exactly matched my gig rack cabinets. Funny, I always thought it was the Mackie 808S 'cause they (speakers) sounded a lot better hooked to an old power amp and mixer, but with all the tweaking controls available on the 808s, I should be able to get it to sound good with a decent pair of speakers.

I like all the positive feedback on the PR15's (BTW, is the PR15"N" an upgrade?) but the size is a little intimidating. I'm sure the "12" is large enough for my needs but haven't heard much mentioned about them. I don't want to use a subwooofer, so whatever I get has to have a nice tight bottom (shut up, Diki and Ian) suitable for organ bass (ie. no "mud" or boominess). I'm more concerned about how organs and synths sound through them than vocals.

I'll start today calling around to see who has all or most (of the ones you mentioned) on display in the stores. Donny, the Yorkvilles (especially the 12's) look interesting but I don't know anything about them. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks again,

chas

#217961 - 10/22/07 05:24 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Donny, the Yorkvilles (especially the 12's) look interesting but I don't know anything about them. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks again,chas

Chas......go to Pro line music on RT1 & take a listen to the Yorkville line....
I haven't heard better between the two companies I mentioned above especially for tightness & bass that goes down deep....
do an A/B with the rest & you'll see & hear the real deal....

Good Luck

#217962 - 10/22/07 05:35 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
'
(BTW, is the PR15"N" an upgrade?)them. Anyone with any experience with these?

chas

Thats the latest, Lightweight neodymium magnet, a pr without the "n" is old stock I believe.
Read the reviews at musicians friend some talk about the lack of low end.
I use a sub with all my stuff so I've never noticed a problem.
But with that organ bass... well you know.

#217963 - 10/22/07 06:05 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cassp Offline

If you can't get enough bass out of two Peavey 15's then you have some unusual needs. I would think two PR15 cabs would do the trick; stack them for a little more bass, if you need. Otherwise, look for an old Ampeg B-18 (not the B15). I've never owned an amp or speaker cab that could do better with organ sounds and bass.

Having said that, today's amps and speakers are more efficient and better suited especially for digital keyboards.

And, I believe the "N" was always part of the Peavey model designation; it just wasn't used. This series of speakers has always had "neo" speakers.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-22-2007).]

#217964 - 10/22/07 06:52 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

And, I believe the "N" was always part of the Peavey model designation; it just wasn't used. This series of speakers has always had "neo" speakers.

That is funny, now that you mention it mine Doesn't say neo on it and the ones I see online don't say neo on the faceplate either.
I guess I stand corrected!

#217965 - 10/22/07 09:26 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I have the pr 10p, the powered version and side by side you can't tell the difference.

But if you're going to use them for the organ I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15 unless you play real small rooms at real low volume. Unless, of course, you plan on using a sub.

Hi

Are you saying that the Peavey PR10's have the same kind of volume and sound as the JBL 10 Eon G2's??

That's very interesting. Although when I tried the Peavey 10's a couple years ago, I don't remember if they were powered or not, but I did have my JBL's right next to them and the ones I tried weren't even close.

I wonder why the dicrepency here? Difference in hearing taste, a change in sound with the new speakers, or possibly I tried the non-powered ones and the store owner didn't have the EQ set right.

Anyway, they didn't sound good at all to me or my wife.

The PR12's sounded quite good and did add a lot more volume and depth to the sound that that was better than either of the two 10's.

Scott

#217966 - 10/23/07 03:42 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi

Are you saying that the Peavey PR10's have the same kind of volume and sound as the JBL 10 Eon G2's??

That's very interesting. Although when I tried the Peavey 10's a couple years ago, I don't remember if they were powered or not, but I did have my JBL's right next to them and the ones I tried weren't even close.

I wonder why the dicrepency here? Difference in hearing taste, a change in sound with the new speakers, or possibly I tried the non-powered ones and the store owner didn't have the EQ set right.

Anyway, they didn't sound good at all to me or my wife.

The PR12's sounded quite good and did add a lot more volume and depth to the sound that that was better than either of the two 10's.

Scott

I have both the peavey and the jbl and it is so tough to do a good comparison in the store. When you have them home or on the job you can set them up the way you want tweak them and make them sound the same. If I demoed them for you you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.
The music stores can use all kinds of little "tricks" to make you believe anything. How many times have you bought something got it home, used it, and was disappointed.
I used to know a guy that would compare his cheap mics with the sm58 by taking all the mids out of the 58 and adding it to his mic. Of course the 58 sounded terrible and his $40 mic sounded comparable, until you got it home set the eqs the same and listened.
He also did the same with speakers.

#217967 - 10/23/07 03:51 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

why let some salesmen who dont know squat except talk to his girlfriend on his cell phone show you anything today in a store .....dont be affraid to go look and demo stuff & "make sound adjustments YOURSELF"...use your own EARS.....readup on products your interested on online, talk & ask other users & bring YOUR instrument INTO THE STORE & play thru it.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217968 - 10/23/07 06:05 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

I meant a factory rep. we all know the big box music store employees don't have the time or knowledge to deal with the public.

SO CHAS did you decide yet?

#217969 - 10/23/07 06:26 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

SO CHAS did you decide yet?

Not yet. I'm mulling over Donny's suggestion of taking the piece of equipment you plan to play through it, to the store (in my case, the C1). Provided the equipment isn't too heavy, I think this is an excellent idea. I don't have a case or even a gig bag for the C1 yet, plus it's a rainy day ("a rainnnny night in Jawja") so probably not today. Frankly, I'm hoping the PR12's will work but I won't compromise on price since I know they will be trying to take the place of two 8 million pound Leslies. I'll let you know after I've done a good comparitive listen. Right now, I'm looking for a store that carries those Yorkvilles Donny was talking about.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217970 - 10/23/07 08:06 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cassp Offline

Don't go takin' your C1 into a GC; you may never get out alive. The stores and salemen around here are dieing to get their hands on any Nord product. It seems the Michigan area stores don't stock 'em.

My experience with the big box stores is that all the speakers are wired into a junction box so that any speakers can be A/B'ed. I'd be more concerned with the mixer or amp being used; a simple EQ adjustment could be the difference between a speaker sounding great or terrible. Don't discount something just because you have to adjust a slider or two.

With the 808s the Mackie speakers sound great at a flat EQ, but very small incremental adjustments can make them sound fantastic. MY SUGGESTION IS to A/B the Mackie and the EV, then try Peavey and JBL. I think you'll stop right there. You'll love the EV's and then have to decide among the rest. If you have the money, go EV. If you haven't got the muscle, go Peavey. I have the Mackies and am very satisfied with them (because I couldn't afford the EV Sx200's).

#217971 - 10/23/07 08:26 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas-been using Carvin speakers for years. Mostly outside. They're durable as hell, sound great, are light, inexpensive, etc.

Have 2 sets of 10's, 3 sets of 12's, a set of 15's and a monster set-up with subs, three ways, etc.

Mostly, I use two 12's and the new little Roland CM-30 for a powered monitor. Use either a Carvin 200 watt head or a 300 watt Yamaha stereo head for one nighters.

Works for me. Been buying Carvin gear since mid 60's. Hey, if it was good enough for Zappa, it's good enough for me! Check it out on-line. Wish I could get away, I'd let you try mine.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217972 - 10/23/07 08:51 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
For what its worth I use 2-15" EV Force Ones for my regular PA and recently purchased 2 Behringer 15's for back ups.

The EV's pack a louder punch, but both seem nice and clean to my ears.

Behringers, especially are a great value for the buck...($189 each)

Good luck...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online