SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#217967 - 10/23/07 03:51 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

why let some salesmen who dont know squat except talk to his girlfriend on his cell phone show you anything today in a store .....dont be affraid to go look and demo stuff & "make sound adjustments YOURSELF"...use your own EARS.....readup on products your interested on online, talk & ask other users & bring YOUR instrument INTO THE STORE & play thru it.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217968 - 10/23/07 06:05 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I meant a factory rep. we all know the big box music store employees don't have the time or knowledge to deal with the public.

SO CHAS did you decide yet?

#217969 - 10/23/07 06:26 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

SO CHAS did you decide yet?

Not yet. I'm mulling over Donny's suggestion of taking the piece of equipment you plan to play through it, to the store (in my case, the C1). Provided the equipment isn't too heavy, I think this is an excellent idea. I don't have a case or even a gig bag for the C1 yet, plus it's a rainy day ("a rainnnny night in Jawja") so probably not today. Frankly, I'm hoping the PR12's will work but I won't compromise on price since I know they will be trying to take the place of two 8 million pound Leslies. I'll let you know after I've done a good comparitive listen. Right now, I'm looking for a store that carries those Yorkvilles Donny was talking about.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217970 - 10/23/07 08:06 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don't go takin' your C1 into a GC; you may never get out alive. The stores and salemen around here are dieing to get their hands on any Nord product. It seems the Michigan area stores don't stock 'em.

My experience with the big box stores is that all the speakers are wired into a junction box so that any speakers can be A/B'ed. I'd be more concerned with the mixer or amp being used; a simple EQ adjustment could be the difference between a speaker sounding great or terrible. Don't discount something just because you have to adjust a slider or two.

With the 808s the Mackie speakers sound great at a flat EQ, but very small incremental adjustments can make them sound fantastic. MY SUGGESTION IS to A/B the Mackie and the EV, then try Peavey and JBL. I think you'll stop right there. You'll love the EV's and then have to decide among the rest. If you have the money, go EV. If you haven't got the muscle, go Peavey. I have the Mackies and am very satisfied with them (because I couldn't afford the EV Sx200's).

#217971 - 10/23/07 08:26 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas-been using Carvin speakers for years. Mostly outside. They're durable as hell, sound great, are light, inexpensive, etc.

Have 2 sets of 10's, 3 sets of 12's, a set of 15's and a monster set-up with subs, three ways, etc.

Mostly, I use two 12's and the new little Roland CM-30 for a powered monitor. Use either a Carvin 200 watt head or a 300 watt Yamaha stereo head for one nighters.

Works for me. Been buying Carvin gear since mid 60's. Hey, if it was good enough for Zappa, it's good enough for me! Check it out on-line. Wish I could get away, I'd let you try mine.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-23-2007).]

#217972 - 10/23/07 08:51 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
For what its worth I use 2-15" EV Force Ones for my regular PA and recently purchased 2 Behringer 15's for back ups.

The EV's pack a louder punch, but both seem nice and clean to my ears.

Behringers, especially are a great value for the buck...($189 each)

Good luck...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online