SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217957 - 10/21/07 07:48 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi keysvocalsax,
sorry i dont know...but if he was, he seems to know what's what, so his view would be valid too...i agree with another post on this thread, and that is when playing keys and say, midi files, you do need a sub with them, although in small venus i can get away with just them as the yammie amp has a special "YS Processing" switch which pumps the lower end a little more...my system is a pair of 15 subs, the ev sx300's on top driven by a yamaha P5000s amp..
dennis

#217958 - 10/21/07 08:00 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

#217959 - 10/22/07 04:18 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
wondering how the PR10N (20 lbs, $150) compares
to the JBL EON 10 sound-wise?

I have the pr 10p, the powered version and side by side you can't tell the difference.

But if you're going to use them for the organ I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15 unless you play real small rooms at real low volume. Unless, of course, you plan on using a sub.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-22-2007).]

#217960 - 10/22/07 05:16 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks guys, I'm too lazy to do much more reasearch so I'm sure I'll buy something from the selection you provided.

Cassp, you're right. The CV's ain't cutting it anymore. Maybe they never did but I always liked the size, weight, and the fact that the charcoal grey carpeted cabinets exactly matched my gig rack cabinets. Funny, I always thought it was the Mackie 808S 'cause they (speakers) sounded a lot better hooked to an old power amp and mixer, but with all the tweaking controls available on the 808s, I should be able to get it to sound good with a decent pair of speakers.

I like all the positive feedback on the PR15's (BTW, is the PR15"N" an upgrade?) but the size is a little intimidating. I'm sure the "12" is large enough for my needs but haven't heard much mentioned about them. I don't want to use a subwooofer, so whatever I get has to have a nice tight bottom (shut up, Diki and Ian) suitable for organ bass (ie. no "mud" or boominess). I'm more concerned about how organs and synths sound through them than vocals.

I'll start today calling around to see who has all or most (of the ones you mentioned) on display in the stores. Donny, the Yorkvilles (especially the 12's) look interesting but I don't know anything about them. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks again,

chas

#217961 - 10/22/07 05:24 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Donny, the Yorkvilles (especially the 12's) look interesting but I don't know anything about them. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks again,chas

Chas......go to Pro line music on RT1 & take a listen to the Yorkville line....
I haven't heard better between the two companies I mentioned above especially for tightness & bass that goes down deep....
do an A/B with the rest & you'll see & hear the real deal....

Good Luck

#217962 - 10/22/07 05:35 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
'
(BTW, is the PR15"N" an upgrade?)them. Anyone with any experience with these?

chas

Thats the latest, Lightweight neodymium magnet, a pr without the "n" is old stock I believe.
Read the reviews at musicians friend some talk about the lack of low end.
I use a sub with all my stuff so I've never noticed a problem.
But with that organ bass... well you know.

#217963 - 10/22/07 06:05 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
If you can't get enough bass out of two Peavey 15's then you have some unusual needs. I would think two PR15 cabs would do the trick; stack them for a little more bass, if you need. Otherwise, look for an old Ampeg B-18 (not the B15). I've never owned an amp or speaker cab that could do better with organ sounds and bass.

Having said that, today's amps and speakers are more efficient and better suited especially for digital keyboards.

And, I believe the "N" was always part of the Peavey model designation; it just wasn't used. This series of speakers has always had "neo" speakers.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-22-2007).]

#217964 - 10/22/07 06:52 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

And, I believe the "N" was always part of the Peavey model designation; it just wasn't used. This series of speakers has always had "neo" speakers.

That is funny, now that you mention it mine Doesn't say neo on it and the ones I see online don't say neo on the faceplate either.
I guess I stand corrected!

#217965 - 10/22/07 09:26 PM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I have the pr 10p, the powered version and side by side you can't tell the difference.

But if you're going to use them for the organ I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15 unless you play real small rooms at real low volume. Unless, of course, you plan on using a sub.

Hi

Are you saying that the Peavey PR10's have the same kind of volume and sound as the JBL 10 Eon G2's??

That's very interesting. Although when I tried the Peavey 10's a couple years ago, I don't remember if they were powered or not, but I did have my JBL's right next to them and the ones I tried weren't even close.

I wonder why the dicrepency here? Difference in hearing taste, a change in sound with the new speakers, or possibly I tried the non-powered ones and the store owner didn't have the EQ set right.

Anyway, they didn't sound good at all to me or my wife.

The PR12's sounded quite good and did add a lot more volume and depth to the sound that that was better than either of the two 10's.

Scott

#217966 - 10/23/07 03:42 AM Re: Unpowered speaker recommendation, please
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi

Are you saying that the Peavey PR10's have the same kind of volume and sound as the JBL 10 Eon G2's??

That's very interesting. Although when I tried the Peavey 10's a couple years ago, I don't remember if they were powered or not, but I did have my JBL's right next to them and the ones I tried weren't even close.

I wonder why the dicrepency here? Difference in hearing taste, a change in sound with the new speakers, or possibly I tried the non-powered ones and the store owner didn't have the EQ set right.

Anyway, they didn't sound good at all to me or my wife.

The PR12's sounded quite good and did add a lot more volume and depth to the sound that that was better than either of the two 10's.

Scott

I have both the peavey and the jbl and it is so tough to do a good comparison in the store. When you have them home or on the job you can set them up the way you want tweak them and make them sound the same. If I demoed them for you you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.
The music stores can use all kinds of little "tricks" to make you believe anything. How many times have you bought something got it home, used it, and was disappointed.
I used to know a guy that would compare his cheap mics with the sm58 by taking all the mids out of the 58 and adding it to his mic. Of course the 58 sounded terrible and his $40 mic sounded comparable, until you got it home set the eqs the same and listened.
He also did the same with speakers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online