SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217636 - 06/28/01 03:46 PM Question for 'Uncle Dave'
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
A few days ago (before the BIG crash), you were telling us about your setup -"go to" set
up patches for example 'Rhodes/bass', 'Piano
&Strings/bass' and so on- Then you typed-
"These are the staples of my rhythm sound. If I turn the arranger on-I mute the bass part and play NOTHING in the left hand. I don't want to clutter up the arrangement any further, since I'm playing full chords with the right hand and singing the melody. I sing about 90% of each song -I take very short solo runs, and I only play a handful of instrumentals, so vocals, piano, bass & drums are the "band" most of the time"

As I don't have an arranger keyboard at this time, I'm trying to figure out the different
ways these keyboards can be used.
With reference to your "band" info above does this mean that in this case you
1 Pick a 'style', select the speed and instruments to be played and save it as a patch.
2 Set up the keyboard so that the arranger follows your chords in the right hand.
-Now this is what it SEEMS to me that your doing in this case- please correct me if I'm wrong. The part I don't understand is when you play a lead- even a short one, don't you have to transfer the chord recognition to the left hand-so you can play a few 'lead' notes with your right hand-and still have the
'arranger' follow your chords? It seems to me that is what you have to do -yet I can't figure out how its done.

------------------

#217637 - 06/28/01 08:06 PM Re: Question for 'Uncle Dave'
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Most keyboards have a mode in which you can play chords over the entire keyboard. You must hit at least 3 notes at the same time to change chords. You can play individual notes without changing chords unless you hit three at the same time. It is a technique that I personally have trouble doing, but it is usefull in many cases--obviously in Dave's application.
I'm sure Dave will elaborate when he gets home and sobers up.
DonM

#217638 - 06/28/01 10:16 PM Re: Question for 'Uncle Dave'
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hic....................cup! Hey...Masoooon, I resemble (hic!) that remark...I think.
OK here's the answer for real:
when the arranger is "on" I am using left hand triggers...almost always. I have developed a style of play that usually voices the chords (right hand) so I can pluck out the melody if needed. I arpegiate a lot, and sort of "strum" the chords on the piano...more like the rhythmic motion that a guitar does. This is why I like a "lean, open" arrangement so there is room for me to play over top. I almost never use the FULL KB mode, except in rare cases that are difficult to play one handed arrangements. New York State Of Mind, Whiter Shade Of Pale are a few examples. And not always, either. They are a good example of the kind of two handed style I like to play.
My whole reason for using arrangers at all, has always been to have access to a drum machine. I still prefer to play my own bass lines as often as possible, but I admit - there are rooms that respond more to a fuller sound. This is when I incorporate the sequences and auto arrangements. In an intimate setting, or on classic jazz standard tunes by Gershwin or Porter - the piano, bass & drums sound is my favorite. It's easy on the ears and leaves lots of room for vocal interpretation. It also makes a "fresher" sound because tunes never sound like each other.
Using the arranger is both a blessing and a curse for me - sometimes it's wonderful, and other times is sooooo hokey that I can't stand it. I'd much rather hear a good "live" arrangement than a stock keyboard arranger anyway.
Is that the answer you wanted?

#217639 - 06/28/01 11:32 PM Re: Question for 'Uncle Dave'
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Now why would I attempt to answer a question that wasn't even meant for me?? Maybe I'm the one that's drunk...I can't seem to follow what you're saying. Are you triggering the chord with left hand, then shifting both hands to the right side of the keyboard to strum chords and play riffs, fills, etc.? That's the way I do it most of the time, but with the autobass ON. Are you using full fingered chords, single finger chords, or no chords and just left-hand bass? Do you ever actually hit notes with either foot (Jerry Lee Lewis does sometimes)? When playing by ear, which ear triggers the. . .oh never mind, it gets really silly late at night in Louisiana. I should receive the bag tomorrow, but that's another story.
Nite all!
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 06-28-2001).]

#217640 - 06/29/01 08:24 AM Re: Question for 'Uncle Dave'
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Thanks DonM and ‘Uncle Dave’for the replies. Your explanation U.D. –--“when the arranger is "on" I am using left hand triggers...almost always. I have developed a style of play that usually voices the chords (right hand) so I can pluck out the melody if needed. I arpeggiate a lot, and sort of "strum" the chords on the piano...more like the rhythmic motion that a guitar does”—cleared it up for me. I just assumed the arranger ‘sensing’ would get ‘confused’-if you played other notes with a chord (on the ‘trigger’ side of the keyboard). I’m sure a lot of this ‘stuff’ will come clear to me when I actually get my hands on a keyboard for awhile.

#217641 - 06/29/01 08:37 AM Re: Question for 'Uncle Dave'
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Basically - I do the same thing with my right hand ALL the time. Whether or not the arranger is on, I still play full chords and rhythms with my right hand. Never just a melody line....well, maybe for "Moonlight Serenede" or a classic instrumental like that, but if I'm singing - I'm strummin' the pianna.
The advantage to that mind set is that I can go from a simple trio sound (manual bass) to a larger arrangement (auto junk) and still control the "feel" of the arrangement by what I add with the right hand. I play the kicks and stabs that I need, WHEN I need 'em!
It's a beautiful thing.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online