SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217592 - 12/12/03 07:11 PM Soldier Boy
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello All,

Well maybe I am about to set the cat amongst the pigeons but I really don't intend to.

I wrote this song quite a while ago and whilst it may be seen as a comment on the current situation in Iraq it was written long before we went to war and for entirely different reasons.

The original inspiration for this song came from a news report I was watching about some violence that had erupted in the middle east and whilst the newsreader commented on nearly everything else he did not even mention that the kids brandishing rifles could have been no older than 14.

I am quite an apolitical person, I tend to see the good and bad in most points of view but it really does pain me that in this day and age people still die fighting each other. I know it has always been so and I can even see the reasons why war sometimes has to be inevitable or seemingly necessary. This does not mean I have to like the thought of one human being killing another.

Anyway, whilst trying to 'depoliticise' my song I am probably just digging myself a bigger hole so.... just take what you will from it. If I am ever going to post this song it may as well be at Christmas when we all tend to view our fellows with more goodwill and less suspicion.

Hope you like it anyway....
Soldier Boy

Hope you all have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas and that 2004 brings you all health and happiness.

Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#217593 - 12/13/03 09:16 AM Re: Soldier Boy
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tony, great job, and it IS timely. Send it to Elton John!
DonM

#217594 - 12/13/03 10:24 AM Re: Soldier Boy
Dnj Offline

BRAVO Tony!!!!

Another Hit!! Maybe some Background Vocals, Strings & Brass build up towards the end should do it for sure....
Great Tune, Heart Felt Lyrics also...

Thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-13-2003).]

#217595 - 12/13/03 10:38 AM Re: Soldier Boy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Tony, You have a wonderful gift for writing & delivering powerful moving lyrics. Really nice arrangement too. I assume the entire song was produced on your 9000pro, right?

I agree with DonM, You really need to get this to Sir Elton.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

#217596 - 12/13/03 10:44 AM Re: Soldier Boy
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
A very poignant song telling an ever-present story of man's inhumanity to man.
Your lyrics are plain and to the point with a message to the politicians, who should be there on the battlefield not our sons.

Your talent is evident in this one, Tony.

Your particular voice is also special. I remember your "Wish I could sing like Donny"
and we would like to hear more of it
cheers
Eddie J

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#217597 - 12/13/03 08:22 PM Re: Soldier Boy
Tony W Offline

Hello Don, Donny, Scott and Eddie
Thanks for the listen and apologies for the delay in replying. One of those days!!!

I am really pleased you liked 'Soldier Boy.'

Am flattered that you think Sir Elton could make something of this! I love his work and his 'style' (musical ... he is a little flamboyant in other areas even for my tastes!) I suppose this song does have that 'ballady piano' style that he does so well. 'Norma Jean' and 'Sacrifice' kind of thing. (Not that I am comparing my song to these masterpieces...just the style). I might take a copy next time he invites me to dinner

Yes Scott! All done on the 9000Pro. Have not yet managed to persuade he who must be obeyed that a Tyros is really an investment more than a luxury

Eddie! It is so kind of you to say that my voice is special. I would say that it is unique but the two things are not the same In my head I sound wonderful (Like UD singing 'Gigolo'...I love that MP3). What appears on the recordings is always a disapointment to me. Whilst I wrote 'Why can't I sing like Donny Pesce' as a bit of fun .... the sentiment was heartfelt. I long to have the kind of voice that makes people want to listen.

Again thanks all for your kind words and encouragement.
Tony W

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#217598 - 12/14/03 08:34 AM Re: Soldier Boy
trtjazz Offline

Tony,
Of course you and I know this song well together and still remains one of my fav's of yours.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#217599 - 12/14/03 08:32 PM Re: Soldier Boy
Tony W Offline

Hi Terry,
I'm glad your opinion of this song has not changed. It is quite a while since I sent this to you and still have your version of it on my hard drive. In all this time I never did anything with the song but just started singing it one day last week when I was playing around on the keyboard so I polished it up a bit and recorded it! Am quite pleased I did now as people seem to like it!

Did you notice (I know it is a while ago) that I took your advice and took the melody up instead of down on the third line of each verse? (just a boy, as he dies, world of ours) I think it worked well! I may need to credit you on this now Especially so if I relent and let Sir Elton have it
Best wishes
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#217600 - 12/16/03 04:43 PM Re: Soldier Boy
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hi Tony,
I barley caught this on. I saw the title and thought you'd be talk'en about Iraq or something. Didn't know it was a song. And I really enjoy your tunes.. This on was really nice... Great comp...and the Tony flavor... Although, I wish one day you'd belt out a high note... Well, I'm off to visit your site since I haven't been by in awhile and see if you’re hiding anything else...

Good job my friend,
DJ

#217601 - 12/17/03 07:06 AM Re: Soldier Boy
trtjazz Offline

Tony
I did notice you changed it and polished it some and I like the remake better. If Elton picks it up, then we'll cut a deal until then for you it's free input.

BTW: Whatever you're doing on the vocals now is much cleaner and better sounding.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 12-17-2003).]

#217602 - 12/17/03 08:48 AM Re: Soldier Boy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Tony, just listened (again) to your re-make of "Soldier Boy" and both performance & audio quality sound 'top notch'. I like the acoustic guitar fill you used in the 3rd measure of verse 1, and 1st measure of verse 2, finding it 'so fittingly' appropriate. The vocal/instrumental balance is superb and your vocal expression perfectly brings out the power of the lyric.
BRAVO! Your moving song deserves to be heard around the world. I sure hope Sir Elton picks this one up.

Btw: What (Yamaha?) style did you use for this song? Did you record additional midi tracks (piano, guitar?), or are all tracks included in the style itself?

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online