SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217432 - 03/10/04 11:31 AM Newbie question - today compared to 10 years ago
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a guitar player who recently started recording using a Yamaha AW16G hard disk recorder (this is a hobby, I'm a lawyer during the day, and a husband and father to 4 kids during the rest of the time).

I'm looking to add some synth sounds (including drums) and looking for bang for the buck at this point.

I know Casio doesn't have the greatest rep, but I've checked out the WK3000 and it seems pretty cool.

Two questions: is the WK3000 as good as, say, some semi pro KORGS/Yamahas of 10-12 years ago?

Alternatively, what can you recommend for something sub $500?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bluesky.

#217433 - 03/10/04 12:55 PM Re: Newbie question - today compared to 10 years ago
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
It's always the bang for the buck (BFTB) part that's fun.

Considering you have a good recorder, you probably don't need the Tascam Pocketstudio 5 which has a GM synth built-in. This should get more discussion here because it's a simple arranger too! Good BFTB. http://www.tascam.com/product_info.php?pid=274&nav=pocketstudio

You obviously have a computer so also good BFTB would be softsynths and sequencing programs. I would recommend Band in A Box because it's easy and comes with a basic Roland GM softsynth program. Also Power Tracks Pro is one of the best BFTB sequencer packages if you want to do more. http://www.pgmusic.com.

You can do a lot with softsynths now. But first, here's a jewel I haven't shared here until now - I found a nice freeware generic low latency ASIO driver program called ASIO4ALL that will work with any standard Windows soundcard: http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/
This means that you can use any midi or usb controller to play softsynths with very low latency.

My BFTB award goes to Propellerhead's Reason, which is a pro-level softsynth/sample/sequencing studio. It gets double BFTB because it doesn't need a monster computer to run it (doesn't hurt though): http://www.propellerheads.se/

Then you'll want to consider a midi or USB controller keyboard and there's lots to choose from. Several combinations of what I've mentioned would do the job and cost under $500.

#217434 - 03/10/04 01:12 PM Re: Newbie question - today compared to 10 years ago
Dnj Offline

hey Jim.....Can you elaborate on the uses of Propellerhead's Reason in laymans terms if you don't mind. My kids use this program for hiphop, drums/bass, techno music etc etc, but it sure looks interesting.
Can it be used basicly for simpler music too/ Or?

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#217435 - 03/10/04 02:17 PM Re: Newbie question - today compared to 10 years ago
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Donnie:

Reason reminds of the synths, drum machines, step sequencers and effects from the 80's with modern additions and conveniences. It's easy to use... you have a virtual empty rack, and you generally start with a mixer (click on an open space and a menu pops up of what can go in the rack). You add any device from there: drum machines, synths, sample-playback devices or loop players as you go. Every time you add a synth it automatically gets connected to the virtual mixer - and when you press the TAB key the entire rack spins around to show you the virtual cables and backs of the devices, which look as remarkably real as the front. After each instrument you can add effects which are also routed for you. It's very intuitive and you're limited only by your computer's memory as to how many virtual devices you can use in your rack (a lot). Once you've sequenced your instruments and automated the mix, you can export the final file as a WAV or MP3.

I'm still impressed with the quality and usefullness of the synths and samples that come with Reason, but the sky is the limit for adding instrument sounds/samples (called Refills). I recently got a pack of refills called Omnisoundz GM so that Reason can import and use my library of GM files (unfortunately it doesn't respond to program changes - I hope they fix that - but you can change them manually in Reason and save the file). I especially enjoy using Reason with my laptop and Edirol PCR-1. High BFTB and cool factor.

#217436 - 03/10/04 02:31 PM Re: Newbie question - today compared to 10 years ago
Dnj Offline

Yes Jim the virtual rack is so Kool....especialy the back where you can plug in patch cables....looks so real too.
maybe some day I hope we can use something like reason for our playing live purposes on stage with real time styles and a controller KB with no problems technicly.
I thankyou for the explaination also.
Take care....

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online