SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217361 - 12/19/04 06:38 PM The most POPULAR Christmas song
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What do you think the people like to hear most? Mostly, I mean pop Christmas songs, not Christmas carols. Like Elvis' "Blue Christmas," etc. Hurry, have another gig tomorrow night! I got George Strait's "Christmastime In Texas" down pat now. Western swing.

#217362 - 12/19/04 07:24 PM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
What kind of gig? I wouldn't do 'Blue Christmas' for seniors... bad vibes there! Can't go wrong tho with 'White Christmas', 'Rudolph', J Bells, S Nite. They'll sing along and love it.

#217363 - 12/19/04 08:17 PM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
What do you think the people like to hear most? Mostly, I mean pop Christmas songs, not Christmas carols.

SemiLiveMusic: 'all time' xmas pop classics like: The Christmas Song, Winter Wonderland, Blue Christmas, It's Begining to Look Like Xmas, Silver Bells, Rockin Around The Xmas Tree, Let It Snow, I'll Be Home For Christmas, White Christmas, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, and Merry Christmas Darling remain my audience favorites (both old and young alike) year after year, and can be performed in just about any style (from swing or country to reggae or hip hop) providing a more contemporary or specific genre flair . . . thanks to ease of selecting/changing arranger styles.

As far as current contemporary Christmas songs go, "Believe", performed by Josh Groban, and featured in the new hit movie "Polar Express":
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3103964

tops this years Adult Contemporary Xmas hit list. I've added this one to my xmas repetoire song list this year and have been receiving terrific response. - Scott

#217364 - 12/19/04 08:45 PM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Love Josh's voice, but that song does nothing for me. I really like "Where are you Christmas" from the Grinch ...... especially the little girl's version in the movie. Faith Hill is another so-so singer in my books, so her rendition leaves me wanting more emotion in the song.

Far and away - the most popular Christmas song in my circle has been "The Christmas Song".....it's just not Christmas till I hear Nat Cole sing that one. Then I need to hear Santa say to Ralphie:

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid !"

Ah ... good times, good times........

Merry Christmas!

#217365 - 12/19/04 09:02 PM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Its almost history by now....but my "Christmas parties" this year have included a minimal amount of traditional Christmas music.
1. Rarely do they dance to it
2. Sing-a-longs have been spotty at best
3. and one client told me "we hear all that christmas stuff in the malls and radio..just do a couple and get back to dance music."

Sounds like "Bah Humbug",....but that is the way it was for me this season. However, the "Christmas Song" is my favorite...so, if I am limited to one Christmas song...that is the one they get.

Eddie

#217366 - 12/20/04 12:18 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
For general audiences, I do:
Blue Christmas
White Christmas
Christmas Song
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Please Come Home For Christmas {essential around here}
Pretty Paper
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
All I Want For Christmas Is You (Thanks DNJ)
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Jingle Bell Rock
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Silver Bells
Christmas In Dixie
Winter Wonderland
Let It Snow, Let It Snow
Felize Navidad/We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Christmas Time Reminds Me Of You (original)

When appropriate:
Jingle Bells
Rudolph
Frosty The Snowman
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Silent Night
Oh Holy Night

The religious ones are not for dances and clubs of course. Naturally you don't do sad ones for Nursing Homes.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
I have lyrics/chords for most of these. Let me know if you want some.
DonM

#217367 - 12/20/04 04:37 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been doing tons of Christmas songs in a Sinatra style swing ....... the dance floor loves it, and I love it!
My favorite one to swing include some of the ones that you'd never expect to hear in a club, like:
Jingle bells
Frosty, Rudolph etc ....

It's all in the drum beat!

#217368 - 12/20/04 06:00 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I've been relying heavily on Vince Guaraldi's music for the classic Charlie Brown Christmas Special - instantly recognizable by both young and old and not the easiest stuff to do so you don't hear it played live much if at all. I do almost everything Vince ever did for holiday music but "Christmastime is Here" is a fav. I've also been doing some swing arrangements of standards like "White Christmas" and "Sleigh Ride" and some deep jazz versions of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". But to answer your question, the song that gets the biggest reaction is "I'll Be Home For Christmas".

#217369 - 12/20/04 07:03 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Semi live: White Christmas is probably my most requested Xmas song...

Glenn: I've been playing Blue Christmas at every nursing home show I do and its gone over pretty well. I use a country style...not too busy, a nice gentle swing...and add the Xmas 1 multi-pad to it after the 1st verse. I start the song with a harmonica solo of the theme...then begin the vocal. I use a soprano sax solo in the middle, too. Maybe its just bouncy enough to not bring anybody down.

Between gigs: I've been closing out most of my dances and other xmas shows as well with White Christmas. It's seemed to pack the floor more often than not.

DonM: My list looks very close to yours. A few other songs I've been playing alot this year are We Need A Little Christmas, Silver & Gold and Marshmellow World.

Uncle Dave: I've used a big band style for several of the xmas tunes with good outcomes.

Pro: "Deep jazz" is a concept that frightens me, lol...

The song that has been getting the biggest reaction this year is either the Christmas Song or Rockin Around The Christmas Tree. Torme's song is just a fabulous piece of work...the appeal of Rockin is probably the blues/shuffle style I use.

Have a good week gang...

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-20-2004).]

#217370 - 12/20/04 08:46 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ii would expect most of our Christmas song lists to be quite similar ... last week the one that seemed to get the most attention was "Felize Navidad", and this was at a pretty WASPy seniors club ...
I will change the rhythms & voices from a 'Christmas' style to light jazz or swing or whatever depending upon the feel of the crowd ..
My personnal favs: "White Christmas" and "The Christmas Song" ...
t.
PS Never did, Never will do 'Grandma got run over' ... something about that tune turned me off from the first time I heard it ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-20-2004).]

#217371 - 12/20/04 09:45 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
This is not a song you could really reproduce to well, but I really like the rendition of Little Drummer Boy "Bing Crosby & David Bowie".
Merry Christmas

------------------
...L

#217372 - 12/20/04 09:49 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Never did, Never will do 'Grandma got run over' ... something about that tune turned me off from the first time I heard it ...

Though 'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer' isn't among my favorites either, for better or worse, both the constant requests and BIG tips have made it now an annual mandatory Xmas 'sing-along' prerequisite. This is THE christmas 'NOVELTY SONG' in which EVERYONE in the entire audience seems to enjoy getting into the act. Yes this song has really ridiculous lyrics & simple chords & melody, but that's just the reason for it's continued popularity. Not only do general audiences request this song, but I get a LOT of Grandma aged audience members asking for it as well, with them first to join in & get into the act.

That said, my all time favorite Christmas songs are: "The Christmas Song", "Merry Christmas Darling", "Sleigh Ride", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "White Christmas", and "Christmas Time is Here".

Scott

#217373 - 12/20/04 10:33 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Has anyone else out there heard the comedian doing Porky Pig's rendition of "Blue Christmas". The poor guy in the audience just breaks me up.

http://members.aol.com/jesusandsue2/Page2.html

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 12-20-2004).]

#217374 - 12/20/04 11:35 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Not only do general audiences request this song, but I get a LOT of Grandma aged audience members asking for it as well, with them first to join in & get into the act.
Scott

As you know, Scott ... whatever works ...
t.

#217375 - 12/20/04 11:49 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tony, unfortunately (for me) it 'does' WORK, and as fortunate as we are to be able to make a living as musician-entertainers, it's 'still' is WORK afterall, and our #1 job is to satisfy the audience. though I do set my PERSONAL limits, 'that one' being close to the edge. - Scott

#217376 - 12/21/04 07:23 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
DonM Offline

I have to do "Grandma" but I refure to do "Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas" by John Denver any more.
DonM

#217377 - 12/21/04 07:51 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I refure to do "Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas" by John Denver any more.
DonM

Oh come on Don, just ONCE for ol'time sake. See that $100 bill in the tip jar?

#217378 - 12/21/04 08:13 AM Re: The most POPULAR Christmas song
DonM Offline

I CAN be bought.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online