SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#21612 - 12/02/99 02:11 AM S-550 system disks
Bud Maness Offline

Loc: US
Hello, everyone
I have a question: I recently purchased an S-550 sampler with no manuals or disks of any kind. I managed to find some samples on the net that seem to work without any problems, but I can't actually do any of my own sampling. My question is what disks should I have to use this thing? I'm not asking anyone to infringe any copyrights...I just need to know what I should have and, hopefully, where to get it? I've already spent $30 on a manual from Roland and I really don't want to shell out a lot more money just to get basic usage out of this sampler. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take care

#21613 - 12/02/99 01:08 PM Re: S-550 system disks
Majik Offline

Loc: Wakefield, RI. USA
Bud
I think the S550 and the S330 work the same in this respect. There are two disks needed. one is the system disk, used to boot up the unit. The other is the UTILITY Disk, used to make samples. You can download the disks from http://w30.msoft.it/s550.html. I understand that the file called system is actually the utility disk. You also need to use SDISK to set them up for use. If I'm in error here, I am sure that someone will correct me. If you have no success with the download let me know and I can email the Utility file from my S330 to you and see if that works with your S550.
Also check the reply from Mgomes in the "S-50 OS" 11/27/99 posting in this forum for another source for the system and utility disks. (I actualy think the name screwup is at this location, not the one I listed.)
Majik

[This message has been edited by Majik (edited 12-02-1999).]

#21614 - 12/02/99 08:08 PM Re: S-550 system disks
Bud Maness Offline

Hi, Majik
First, thanks for the info. It is appreciated. Second, Unfortunately I've already tried using the S-330 Utility disk on my S-550 and it won't accept it. Just keeps asking for the utility disk. Hopefully some kind soul will make an .out file from their disk and tell me where to find it (I'll beg if I have to), or maybe Roland will send one with the manual I ordered, but I doubt it.:-( Again, thanks for everything. I'll just have to look harder. Take care

#21615 - 12/02/99 08:38 PM Re: S-550 system disks
Mgomes Offline

Loc: São Paulo (SP)/Brazil
Bud Madness,

Take a look at the Roland Samplers Users Group at www.generalconcepts.com/sgroup

They have a "semi-permanent home" (in their words) for the Sgroup FTP Archive. Maybe you'll find the disks you need.

Mgomes

#21616 - 12/03/99 11:10 AM Re: S-550 system disks
Majik Offline

Bud
If all else fails you might check out the EBay listings for S550 buyers and sellers. You might be able to convince one of them to Email an utility file to you. I would do the same for all the links listings at the Roland links page. It must be a bummer to have a unit like the S550 and not be able to use it. If it were not for Mgomes, down in Brazil, I would be in a similar situation. I will never be able to thank him enough for his patience and understanding. Hopefully, you will find someone like him to help with your situation. Onward, and upward.
Majik

#21617 - 12/03/99 11:29 AM Re: S-550 system disks
Majik Offline

Bud
You might check with RPG. He has a S550 and might be willing to provide you with an Utility Email. rpg2@ix.netcom.com As S550 owners, you may be able to help each other.
Majik

#21618 - 12/03/99 12:46 PM Re: S-550 system disks
Bud Maness Offline

Hi, Mgomes and Majik
Thanks for the help guys. I'm almost there! I followed the link that Mgomes provided and found a utility disk there, but it won't load because it's version (v 1.15) is higher than the version of the Operating System that I'm running (v 1.12). I've tried starting the S-550 from a system disk with a higher version (v CD-5 1.0), but it just keeps shutting down and restarting. Maybe I just need to wait for the manual and see how to install a new operating system. That's my only problem right now. Again, thanks alot, guys. --Bud

P.S. I love what you did to my last name, Mgomes ;-)

#21619 - 03/18/00 04:47 AM Re: S-550 system disks
dog rox Offline

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY, USA
I TOO am looking for the UTLITY DISK that is compatible with my SYSTEM version... (version 1.13). I am having the same troubles as BUD is..

EXACTLY the same!!

as i have tried downloading the 1.15 UTLITLY disk it would boot up saying ULITLTY VERSION ERROR.

I have the manual and it only says use the CHANGE SYS command.. with the cd-5 system disk i put in .. the system resets it self in a loop.

The manual does not tell you any other way how to upgrade!

if anyone can help me find the correct version of the utility disk..i would greatly be appreciated!

I am also working on saveing ALL my patch disks to cd. i have over 150 of them and alsio downloading them off the net! I would like to also back up a working version of the UTILITY disk also!

PLease help!

Butch

aka dogrox

#21620 - 03/18/00 05:33 PM Re: S-550 system disks
dog rox Offline

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY, USA
Thanx BUD MADNESS ;o)!!! IT WORKED!!!... GET MY EMAIL?!?!?

DOG!!

aka butch

#21621 - 03/15/02 01:03 AM Re: S-550 system disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

[how are you planing to connecct a cd rom to the s550 please explain it would be a great help SOS(save our synths)PLease reply to jazbomann@yahoo.com

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online