SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#215574 - 10/24/06 09:28 AM Multip Pad and Style in cakewalk
coca Offline

Hi,

I heard sometime ago in this forum that you can create multi pad or style using cakewalk. Does anyone have detail instruction on this?

If I import a midi file into cakewalk and if I like certain track…Can I cut and paste a section and save it as a multi pad.

If I connect my ipod to the line input of my PSR-3000 and play a riff, phrase or sound through the ipod. Can I record what I hear from my ipod into the pad section? Please advice.

Thanks for your help in advance.

coca

#215575 - 10/25/06 11:39 AM Re: Multip Pad and Style in cakewalk
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
To make a multipad using Cakewalk:

Start Cakewalk and File/Open PadTemplate.mid (available from SVPworld: http://www.svpworld.com/2000world.htm ).
File/Open the midi file you want to use for pad 1. This will create a second window with the midi in it. Click the track number to select it. Drag the mouse along the measure bars to select the measures. Depress the Copy button (5th from left in the toolbar). Click OK to Events in tracks query. Click the Window menu item and then the PadTemplate.mid that is listed. Click the number 1 on far left of screen. This should select channel 1. Click Paste (6th from left in toolbar) and then Ok. Repeat for Midi2, Midi3, Midi4, placing them in channels 2, 3, 4, respectively.
If you intend on having the pad repeat, choose a segment to cut/paste that fits between measure boundaries. Pads repeat at the end of a measure, not at the end of the note events. Having only a few notes in the beginning of the last measure will trigger the measure to play and cause a soundless gap in the pad. Open the track in Piano Roll and trim any final notes as necessary.
If you intend upon having the pad follow chord changes, you are limited to the notes: C, D, E, G, A, B. Open the track in Event View to change the notes. It might be easier to transpose the style. If you know how many semitones it is to be shifted (e.g. key of D is -2), then select the track data, click Edit/Transpose, and enter the number. Getting the data to be in the right key and with the allowed notes is probably the biggest headache in making multipads. Starting with midi data in the key of C simplifies things.
Open the Info page (File/Info) and change the flags that set the chord follow and repeat settings. “0” means off and “1” means on. The default for both Chord Follow and Repeat is on.
Save the PadTemplate.mid to a new file name so as not to overwrite the template.

Regards,

Michael

#215576 - 10/25/06 11:46 AM Re: Multip Pad and Style in cakewalk
coca Offline

Michael,

Thank you for your instruction. I will give it a try. Also, do you happen to know if I can import or record a wav (sample/loop file) format with cakewalk. I have a lot of loop and sample file in the wav format and I want to create it in the multi pad format.

Also, I can import a midi file into Cakewalk and save as Yamaha style format (.sty).

Thanks,

coca

#215577 - 10/25/06 04:33 PM Re: Multip Pad and Style in cakewalk
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
You can import wav files into Cakewalk, but there is no way to convert them to the midi that most PSRs require to make styles or multipads.

A work-around is to use the Tyros 2. Here,in the T2, you would make a voice from your wav so that it can be triggered (among others, if desired) by depressing the appropriate keyboard key. Once in the instrument, you could also make a multipad using this 'voice'.

A style file is a special form of a midi file and Cakewalk does not create it directly. You can use a program such as StyleMaker in conjunction with Cakewalk to assist in the process, but there are other options. See: http://www.svpworld.com/forum/faq/faq_body.asp#_Toc139103991

Regards,

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by coca:
Michael,

Thank you for your instruction. I will give it a try. Also, do you happen to know if I can import or record a wav (sample/loop file) format with cakewalk. I have a lot of loop and sample file in the wav format and I want to create it in the multi pad format.

Also, I can import a midi file into Cakewalk and save as Yamaha style format (.sty).

Thanks,

coca

[This message has been edited by Michael P. Bedesem (edited 10-25-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online