SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#215560 - 08/31/06 07:29 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Craig,
Second part guitar with effects is pretty good in my opinion, especially regarding it was played live. Drums could be a little "toned-up" (more prominent).

First part I think it was a little dull, but perhaps so because Freddie had so much power in his voice and a simple guitar although well played is not a substitute.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Theodore

#215561 - 08/31/06 07:46 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:

The drums sound far better and more upfront on the 45mb WAV version of this, doing a MP3 does lose quality.

Maybe I am really getting deaf. The drums... I could barely hear them.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#215562 - 08/31/06 08:33 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Craig,
first of all, congratulations for your song!

Speaking of the first guitar, I can understand what the others were trying to say. Emulating the voice of Freddie Mercury is not an easy task indeed! I think that the sound you choose is maybe too clean and lacks a bit of sustain; to compensate for this you had to play more notes, to "fill the void", so to speak. This did not happen with the second guitar, where the distortion leads (of course) to a more prolonged sustain and a more realistic effect.
Have you thought to substitute the clean guitar with a synth lead? There are plenty to choose from in the "Synth" bank; try one of the first three, for example...

#215563 - 08/31/06 09:02 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
I would think that style would also work quite nicely for U2's With or Without You.

Wouldn't that be cool if you found a nice sample of Brian May's Red Special to import?

-mike

Hi there.
I already posted With or without you as my last song which did actually use that same style but edited slightly hehe. The drums to be honest on that style are not terribly loud so I do see peoples points about them. Even swappig to a different kit makes no difference, it's just the way the style has been done, but the WAV which I sent to Scott Yee is definitely more prominent in the mix.
On the original Queen version of the song, the drums are not terribly loud or powerful either.
I was going to play Freddies part with a synth instead (similar to the one used for the intro) but I like my guitars lmao I agree with Dreamer that the first guitar sound is clean, it's an edit I made with 2 elements using different guitar voices.
Stay tuned as i will post a far different version of this very soon.
Cheers guys for the feedback

#215564 - 08/31/06 09:06 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
The first guitar sound has no distortion effects on it so more feeling can be heard in the song using this. The drums sound far better and more upfront on the 45mb WAV version of this, doing a MP3 does lose quality.

Having the opportunity to listen to the original 45mb uncompressed WAV file, I conur that the compressed MP3 significantly reduced what is actually heard in the original WAV. Listening to the original WAV file on my iPod thru a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones, I'm able to fully appreciate the CONSTRAST between the more intimate acoustic expression heard in the 1st guitar, and the gut wrenching passion heard by the distorted guitar later.

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Maybe I am really getting deaf. The drums... I could barely hear them.

No problem with the drum mix when listening to the original WAV on my system . I even A/B compared it with similar songs heard from a Queen album, and their drum volume levels sounded pretty simlar to my ears.

Though Craig's rendition, as he stated at the onset, is a bit different than the Queen original (it's an instrumental afterall), I really like it (a lot), as it not only showcases the sound of Tyros2 in a rock music format, but Craig's terrific arranger keyboard chops as well. Bravo!

Scott

#215565 - 08/31/06 09:23 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
Craig_UK Offline

Gut wrenching passion cheers Scott

I put passion into everything m8 including my women. I know how to press all the right buttons lol mmmm Talk about 'Magic Moments'

#215566 - 08/31/06 11:21 AM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
tyrosman Offline

Loc: scotland
brilliant as always craig the giutar is brilliant & im sure your sounds will be back to normal m8 when you get your dimms & as scott has said freddy lives

#215567 - 08/31/06 02:15 PM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Craig: Fun to listen to. I enjoyed listening to your up-beat piece.

I liked the guitar work. Would have liked more happening in the background. However, if your goal was to play real-time you have some limitations as to what can be done. Maybe some multi-pad fills or some complimenting organ chords in the left-hand voice may have been helpful.

Thanks for sharing your work

#215568 - 08/31/06 02:41 PM Re: Do you feel like you want to 'Break Free' from all the recent postings
Craig_UK Offline

Thanks Robert.
The left hand had an evolving synth sound, sort of like an anaolog sweep but as I've said before for some reason converting down to MP3 takes quite a few sounds out of the mix, drums for example.... At least it's better than having to download 45mb of WAV I suppose

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online