SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#215239 - 10/07/03 05:50 AM Re: Putting together demo/mktg CD ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for the input - exactly what I was looking for -
Donny, someone else here in town suggested the "free Hour" thing as well, and I may just try that.

For some of us that are not actively "gigging" right now, that could be a good route to go, especially if, like Glenn, your last event was many years ago!

I'm going to start "soloing" again for the first time in many years, thanks to my new psr2100, and all the great help/guidance here. As I'm currently unemployed, any work is good work right now!

I've already been asked to provide a cd/demo to one local spot, so thus, the recording flurry this week. I'm getting better at it, adjusting, tweaking inputs, etc, so as to reduce the distortion - I'm also using a better software program now.

Thanks again to all!

Jill

#215240 - 10/07/03 07:14 PM Re: Putting together demo/mktg CD ??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jill,

The best and easiest to use recording program I've used in years is ironically one of the least expensive. Cakewalk's Music Creator 2003, which is designed to work with everything from windows 98 to windows xp, only cost $39 at Best Buy. It has everything you'll need to make great demo CD's and the ability to do some creative editing with unlimited undo features.

As for getting a job, Donny is right on the money. Essentially, you must be the performer, sales staff, public relations person and driver of the car all in one. Approach the prospective client just like any person that you want to sell someting. Offer them that free hour of entertainment during a time when they normally don't have entertainment, put everything you have into the performance during every second you're performing, and usually, within the first five minutes, you'll know whether or not you have the job.

Notice I said performance. You're not just sitting there playing music and staring blankly at the wall--you must be a performer that gets the undivided attention of the person you hope does the hiring. Start off on a high note, keep the action going, give them lots of diversity, and make sure you carefully research your perspective audience. You need to play and sing what you KNOW they would like to hear--not just the songs you like best. That's what it takes.

Also, Donny was right about word of mouth advertising. There are a lot of folks in this business that have spent enormous sums of money on yellow pages, newspaper, magazine and internet advertising--none of which seem to generate much of anything other than an added expense. Target your audience with direct mail, then follow the mail up with phone calls directed to a specific person, such as the club manager. This is done merely by calling the location before you do the mailing, ask who is the club manager, entertainment director, etc, then when you put together that mailing list and send out the fliers, you have someone to direct that information to. Then, when you do the follow-up calls, which should be done no later than a week after the mailing, you have someone specific to ask for. This all takes time, so don't expect lots of jobs to just begin coming in faster than you can handle them--it doesn't work that way. However, if you're willing to work at it, you'll eventually build a reputation in your area, and the combination of mailings, plus word of mouth from others that have seen you perform, will eventually prove productive.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#215241 - 10/07/03 08:38 PM Re: Putting together demo/mktg CD ??
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Jill...
All good advice above.
You mentioned having worked with a guitar player...and while I know nothing about your market, I assume you have have friends in the biz there and know your talent. Some may be willing to help.

Fact is, when things get busy down here in Florida, most of the guys in the circuit I play refer work to each other when they can't personally make a date. In the slow season, it's a different story. We are all scrambling for whatever we can get.

Eddie

Eddie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online