SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#215129 - 06/03/07 01:19 PM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Thanks I didn't think about that.

Can you tell me approx what I am looking for in the Bios. My computer didn't show anything about display devices or monitors but also my computer is not the one with the problem.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 06-03-2007).]

#215130 - 06/03/07 02:23 PM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It depends on the model, the best way is to go to the Dell web site and do a search for the problem in the Technical Support section. (I had a look, but without knowing the exact details of the laptop it is difficult to ascertain the correct solution)
Normally if you go into the bios and select setup defaults, (The actual wording differs between different makes) this will set the bios as it left the Dell factory.
Hope this helps

Bill

#215131 - 06/03/07 02:41 PM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Thanks alot I'll tell him to try that.

#215132 - 06/04/07 12:50 AM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Some notebooks allow you to disable the external monitor port as a power saving measure, this might be in the BIOS but usually it will be somewhere in the Power options in the Control Panel. I don't remember seeing it in the bios on Dell's I have fiddled with but then again I havent looked that hard.

Use of the external monitor port is also controlled by a keyboard hotkey, possibly Function + F4; you can just see a symbol a bit like |O| on the appropriate FKey. Successive presses of the key cycles through "Notebook", "Both", "External Only" so don't panic of your notebook screen disappears!

I'd download and install the latest graphics drivers; the XP default ones are very generic.

Dells website is pretty good. The best way to get updates is to use the Service Tag which is somewhere on the bottom of the laptop, usually near the model number. Go to Dells service site (heres the UK one which ought to do:http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen) select "Service Tag", enter your value and hopefully you get to the master page for updates to the laptop. Trawl and select!

Hopefully you will then "Graphics Properties" pages that allow you to define the characteristics of the external monitor. The style used depends on the manufacturer of the graphics chip. The ATI / Radeon method is more intuitive than the "Intel Express Graphics" method (and I'd expect the laptop to have one of these two options) but both do the job. With the Intel drivers theres a "Clone" option; if you want to drive the external monitor at a different resolution to the notebook turn this off!

#215133 - 06/04/07 01:02 AM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England

#215134 - 06/04/07 05:18 PM Re: OT: widescreen monitor.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Finally got it to work with the function key (f8) thanks to everyone.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online