SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#215056 - 10/29/02 05:20 AM Re: Chord Variations in Style...Please read in...
Arbaz Offline

Thank you all who tried to help I have just read the PSR2000 and TYROS manual and it is sad that Yamaha arranger don't let you record different chord variations all you can do is record in Cmaj7 and the keyboard will change the chord when you change the chord but there is no way of recording minor or 7th variations or any other for that matter, even Roland allows you to do that up to 3 chord variations Korg definitely win in the complex style creation department with up to 6 chord variations in each style.

#215057 - 10/29/02 05:44 AM Re: Chord Variations in Style...Please read in...
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Yamaha styles can hold different patterns for the chord types Kari listed in any combination. You have the 16 MIDI channels for this.

In Yamaha style channel 9 and 10 are for drum and percussion. The remaining 14 channels can be used for different patterns to the remaining style parts (bass, chord1, chord2, pad, phrase1 and phrase2).

Lets us say you want to have 4 different bass patterns you will now have 10 channels to the rest of the style parts.

In the CASM section the 4 source channels which holds the 4 bass patterns are redirected to output channel 11, which is the Yamaha specification for the bass channel.

You can read more about this at The Unofficial YAMAHA PSR Resource Site
at http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/

Follow menu PSR Links -> Articles

Jørgen

#215058 - 10/29/02 06:00 AM Re: Chord Variations in Style...Please read in...
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
You dont record the chord variations on the keyboard by playing the different chords, its more complex than that and needs to be done using a midi sequencer. I first recall that my early PSR520 featured this, on certain styles if you played diminished or 7th chords you would get extra instrumental phrases being added or perhaps the bass line would change. Later on Yamaha added a feature called "Virtual Arranger", which apparently added subtle chord variations to the accompaniment (perhaps to trigger these extra bits in the styles?) to the PSR730 (and 630 also). This didnt seem to stick though and was dropped on the x40 series. I haven't noticed on the latest styles that different chords trigger different musical phrases in the style, but apparently it is still possible.
The way in which it appears to work is that in the header data of the style, there are a number of bytes for each track which represent whether or not the track will play or be muted if certain chords are detected. So, it is possible for certain tracks in the style to play if a min7 chord for example was played and others muted, and vice versa. Editing the header data of the style requires 3rd party software e.g. CASM EDIT and also some knowledge of style editing. Its an interesting area but one that is seldomn explored.

Simon

Quote:
Originally posted by Arbaz:
Thank you all who tried to help I have just read the PSR2000 and TYROS manual and it is sad that Yamaha arranger don't let you record different chord variations all you can do is record in Cmaj7 and the keyboard will change the chord when you change the chord but there is no way of recording minor or 7th variations or any other for that matter, even Roland allows you to do that up to 3 chord variations Korg definitely win in the complex style creation department with up to 6 chord variations in each style.

#215059 - 10/29/02 07:17 AM Re: Chord Variations in Style...Please read in...
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Dear Arbaz,

YES, all Yamaha PSR's, even my quite old PSR-500, have the capability of "doing different things" (like introducing different phrases, or introducing different instruments) when chord variations (M,m,7th, etc.) are played. Very few internal Yamaha styles use this feature. I've mostly found it in converted styles from other synth manufacurers. When these styles (Roland, Technics, etc.) are converted so they can be played in a PSR you can here these introduced variations clearly. However, the effect is not very pleasing. You would not like it. Most of us try to MINIMIZE (e.g., get rid of) these features in the converted style (e.g., ELIMINATE the introduced new instruments, etc.) to make it sound better on our Yamaha PSR's.

Bob

#215060 - 10/29/02 01:29 PM Re: Chord Variations in Style...Please read in...
Arbaz Offline

So basically it is possible but not in the keyboard it self but using the 3rd party software? Am I correct? in i30, PA80 you simply choose to record what ever chord variation you want and then assign that particular chord variation to any chord change and then do the same you are allowed to do it 6 times it simply means that each main variation in style is composed of 6 chord variations which are freely assignable to any chord of your choice like say you have recorded a bass pattern on bass track now for simplicity name it "A" now change the chord variation from the menu to chord variation 2 and record again a new bass pattern to the same bass track we are going to call it "B" now we can do it up to 6 time after doing that I can simply assign that if I want to hear pattern "B" when I play a minor chord and pattern "A" when I play a major chord and so on, so basically everything can be done on the keyboard itself, but that is not the case in Yamaha boards you will have to use a software am I right?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online