SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214458 - 11/12/04 06:16 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Several months ago, the question of whether or not the mic input was mono or stereo (balanced) came up. At that time, I posted the wiring diagram for the psr-2000/2100, which clearly shows that the input was not balanced, though Yamaha used a stereo input jack. In fact, all of their 1/4-inch jacks were wired in mono, and several Tyros owners did test their board and discovered the mic input was mono as well. If I recall, Steve Demming also responded on that post and said the input was mono. Therefore, using a mic splitter or "Y" and a TSR adapter just doesn't make sense. I wish I were able to come to your Saturday night job, analyze the problem and come up with a viable solution. Short of this, I guess the only thing is to try all of the suggestions posted on the forums and hope one of them works.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214459 - 11/12/04 11:49 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Hi there Gary /Guys..

HOLD EVERYTHING...I THINK I'VE GOT IT....VH PROBLEM SOLVED...at least for me...

BACKGROUND: On Thurs. I was on visit to the Pipeliners Site when I happened to stumble on his suggested EQ sets 'To make 9K Sizzle'

I was gob-smacked when I saw the EQ sets, but at same time remembered Yamaha's note re extraneous noise effect on VH,especially BASS as cause of distortion ..Manual Page 47..small print.

I set off upstairs to do some tweekin'& check out Pipeliners EQ sets. 4 hrs later I emerge with what I believe is a cure for VH distortion...without turning off Revb, or taming the Vocals...and it's all to do with Master EQ settings..see Chart...

.................EQ1 EQ2 EQ3 EQ4 EQ5
-----------------------------
T-PA Preset 0 -3 -1 -2 +1
Pipeliner Sizzle 0 +8 +12 +12 +12
LeoD-Crisp +2 +3 +6 +9 +12
LeoD-Medium +2 +2 +5 +7 +10
--------------------------------------------

Note all T Preset EQs very similar..& quite dull..compared to 8k-9k, but Pipeliner are a little too sizzly for me...so using Crisp & Medium above...have waited until today for my buddy Vocalist to Test same....WOW !

Using SM58 & Ano (name rubbed off)..T was connected to 2-150w Active spks. Mics..2 via Y con direct into T ...no ext mix desk
dont laugh ' cause once you use only 1 Mic at a time on VH..it works. We tried various VHs..& songs incl Masset....es, which really extends my friend especially when he goes falseto at the end...but try as we did we couldn't get the thing to distort....I swear..I swear..so I do!!!

This post may seem a little garbled to you, but I'm not Drunk...I just lost the first half above & had to re start....I just may go out now & get drunk 'cause I've suffered with this problem (no not drink) for far too long...& I'm at last in TYROS ECSTACY !!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I tell no lie...it works...it just needs confirmation from your good selves. The reason I think this works is because increasing the EQ sets...removes Boom & unecessary bass freq. across the whole Frequency range...I'm not technical so can't explain it any other way.

And especially for Gary..I made up a cable per your notes i.e.XLR pin3hot to Jack-Tip,
and it works (I never doubted it would) but guess what...so does my old connector which has Pin*2 to Jack-tip.....nly slight drop off in responsiveness/vol...but 'IT' DOESN'T DISTORT EITHER. What on earth were Yam thinkin about with that Mic Wiring Diagram...I switched from a mono Jack which I used on 9k ...because of this Diag...thinking that it must needed .

I don't think there is any need to give details of other sets..Mic EQ,Comp, Gain, Vols...but will do if anyone wants.

The important thing now is for you guys to try this out and see if you get similar results....Your T will be a hell of a lot Brighter, but low end remains distinct in fact everything is much more distinct & clear.

What I dont understand is why Yamaha havn't
come up with a similar solution.

Lets have the feedback now...am I right or am I right...If I am and Steve..is Lurking
I guess he & mr Yamaha owe me....maybe a T2
or 3 or 4....We'll see. Are you there Steve

So lets have the Feedback guys ASAP ...I just can't wait.

LeoD..Nov 12th.2004
Q.E.D

[This message has been edited by LeoD (edited 11-12-2004).]

#214460 - 11/12/04 12:24 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
I purchased the TYROS last year during November. I was excited because the VH was included and I had less wire to carry including the DIgitech Workstation EX. Using an SM Beta 58, I purchased a monster cable for it thereby having no question of a proper signal. I monitored this forum all year for the different settings. The end result: I PURCHASED A TC HELICON VOICE WORKS. When I sing back-up and use my voice, I want my voice to sound like there are 3-4 more people behind me. Not distortion. When using the Tyros, I had to use my voice very lightly in order to get the harmony out without distortion so I wasn't really singing, only whispering. You guys are right. Yamaha should either compensate us for a defective section of the keyboard. I even tried a Shure Beta 87A, but no phantom power. Why don't they just contact TC helicon and gain an update for the Tyros so we an use the VH. What a waste. This was one of the features I purchased this keyboard for.

[This message has been edited by firehead (edited 11-12-2004).]

#214461 - 11/12/04 02:08 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Hey There ...It's Junior Member LeoD ..again

Since I'm just sittin' here waiting on reaction I thought I'd jot down the rest of the settings I'm using....they may/may not be relevant,as there are so many variables,so take 'em as approximates

Mic Gain Input......12 o'clock (mid Point)
Mic KBD Vol Pot.....12-2 o'clock(mid Point)
Mic EQ..Low.-6...Mid.+2....High.+8
Mic Freq..Low-110hz, Mid-1.6khz, High-7khz
Noisegate...ON...Thresh -72 to -40 variable
Compressor..ON...Thresh -25 to -6 Ratio 1-3 Vol 100 to 127.
Voc Harm...KBD-Lower...Bal to pref...Mode Auto/Chord....chord XF..Mute-OFF.Vol 100-127
Settings apply to SM58...One decent vocalist doin' anything from Ave Maria to Unchained Mel. to Jerry Lee...& one croaker doin' as little as he can...the odd do-do-da-da & a bit of the Blues..

So there you have it guys...now I need your comments, criticism, observations....and if you're happy.....your applause, better still ...all contributions gratefully received.

Thank you, & as they say over here 'May the road ahead rise up to meet ya'

I love it when she talks dirty like that!!

Regards
LeoD

#214462 - 11/12/04 02:39 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
digitalvision Offline

Loc: UK
No matter what they say, the Tyros' vocal harmonizer is an utter piece of crap UNLESS YOU HAVE A NATURALLY GOOD VOICE/PITCH.

#214463 - 11/12/04 04:43 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Leo,

Glad you were able to solve the problem, both for yourself and lots of others--it saved me a long flight to Ireland as well.

Digitalvision,

Your contributions to this site seem to those of a person that has an axe to grind. Your comments, IMO, seem degrading to those of us who spend an enormous amount time perfecting our skills by learning from others, and by trying to aid those in need of help. If you have an opinion based on fact, one that would provide some insight to those of us who are obviously less knowledeable about the music industry than yourself, it would be nice if you would express them in such a manner that the information would benefit other forum members. I'm confident that all of the forum's membership would enjoy hearing a song posted by you, one that included both a musical and vocal performance. We're always willing to learn from talented individuals such as yourself.

Gary

#214464 - 11/12/04 06:17 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Gary,
Will you try out the settings & let me know what you think..& ..it's not that long a flight to Ireland...so on yer bike lad & get over here...We'll look after ya!..you wont even d[need to bring yr KBD..I go 3 of them here.
Thanks again for all the help in the past few weeks...I guess I at least owe you a Guinness.

Regards,
LeoD

#214465 - 11/12/04 06:19 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Gary,

Ditto!

Tom

#214466 - 11/12/04 06:37 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalvision:
No matter what they say, the Tyros' vocal harmonizer is an utter piece of crap VOICE/PITCH.

Digitalvision,
I have suspected that for a long time now, but have had Yam gear for many years, & deep down I couldnt really accept that their Flagship Kbd..could have such a bad VH.
I have persevered with this issue for months, and in recent weeks since I joined this & a few other like Forums, I've had nothing but support & help from many people.

They have spent a lot of time & effort trying to get some solution to the problem, and I am very grateful to all of them for their contributions.

As for your own input above...well it's your opinion & you are entitled to that, but it's really not very much help now is it?...so I guess I'll just echo Garry's comments.

LeoD

#214467 - 11/12/04 08:10 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Leo,

I'll try the settings Monday, which is the only day between now and then that I'm not performing. As for the trip to Ireland, who knows, maybe next summer after the real boss retires.

Cheers,

Gary

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online