SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214438 - 11/10/04 10:23 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Leo, at this point, it sounds like you better take MY suggestion, and contact Yamaha Europe RIGHT AWAY to get an official case number initiated. It's sounding more & more like a "hardware (batch?) defect" that could be corrected with a VH board replacement. Until you (and the rest of you guys with this problem) do this, nothing said here is going to fix it. Believe me. I've been there.

Chony, the problem in my situation was that (according to Steve at Yamaha USA), there were'nt enough (or any) other people complaining to get Yamaha Japan to take notice. In your case here, there may be enough of you out there to force the issue and get quicker action. Power in numbers they say. I say, at least make the effort and report a case with them on this issue. If you don't 'at least' do that, then (no offense), but you really have no grounds to complain.

Scott

#214439 - 11/10/04 10:38 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Hey Guys..
Additional to my last post above..

Can anybody confirm for me that the wiring as stipulated by Yam & described by me above
is actually working fir them...

If YES then that means that my T is miswired
probably at the Mic in stage...What annoys me is that all efforts by me to clarify this with Yam have been ignored and I don't like that.

LeoD

#214440 - 11/10/04 11:45 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Leon,

when I clicked the link it said the page have been moved. However, if this is the way they said to wire the cable (XLR-*2hot...to BalPhone -Tip(hot)
XLR-*3cold..to..Bal Phone-CenterRing
XLR-*1Gnd...to BalPhone- Sleeve) something is wrong. Pin #3 is the hot pin on most XLR mic cables. And, in my adapter cable for the PSR-3000 pin #3 connects to the tip, and pin #1 is connected to the sleeve. I have another adapter that pins #1 & #2 of the XLR are connected together and go to the 1/4-inch plug's sleeve. Pin #3 goes to the 1/4-inch plug's tip.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 11-10-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214441 - 11/10/04 05:04 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Garry, yes you have it right per Yamaha ..which is what I've been saying all along...including to yamaha...maybe that's why they moved the page...

If I knew how to upload the page I would do so for all to see failing that ... perhaps I could Fax..to you or to the forum ???

Thanks
LeoD

#214442 - 11/10/04 06:48 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Beakybird Offline

You unlucky fellows, it's too bad you didn't discover this problem during the 30 day return period. It sounds like a sizeable group of people got Tyroses with defective harmonizers.

I remember that many people who purchased the PSR2000 had speakers that buzzed at louder volumes.

If you guys don't want to merely whine, and you want to get this fixed, I would go to my local Yamaha repair center and schedule a date for them to look at your Tyros without leaving it there. Ask them that if parts are needed, if they can close up the keyboard and let you use it in the meantime. This way, you will only be without a keyboard for several days.

Good luck!

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 11-10-2004).]

#214443 - 11/10/04 07:54 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Leo,

Scan the page into your computer, or if you have the page in graphics form, just email it to me at keyboard@bcpl.net

Gary

#214444 - 11/10/04 09:33 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Mike,

Have you removed all effects off of the Vocal Harmony?

Early on, Yamaha recommended removing these effects since the Vocal Harmonizer and the Effects processer are the SAME!!!!!!

That means valuable CPU cycles are being drawn from the DSP processors when Effects are used.

Try that and let me know how you make out?

Al

Al, you are a GENIUS!!

As I stated in my post earlier today, I had the Mic Effects "ON". I tried it without the Mic Effects and the problem went away. For me at least.

Thanks for the tip Al!

I hope others get theirs resolved soon.

There are many things that can be tried to fix it short of having the Tyros shipped to a Yammie repair center. A simple button push on mine did it. My advice is please try and exhaust all avenues before you send it in for repair. For example: you can try another Mic, other Cable[s], other settings, other Mic settings, even other EQ settings.

I would like to mention that my Tyros does NOT like TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) 1/4" connectors into the Mic Input. I had to use a TS (Tip, Sleeve), i.e. MONO 1/4" connector for my Tyros' Mic input. If I used a TRS 1/4" Mic Cable connector the sound would distort, "especially" when the Harmonizer was ON. Yet my PSR 2000 gladly accepts TRS 1/4" Mic Cables with no problems distorting with VH on or off. Go figure...

Yet others were saying that they could NOT use TRS 1/4" Mic Cables in their PSR 2000's because it WOULD distort. Go figure again...

Also, a while back I was complaining that my Tyros was having a volume spike problem when hitting a random Key, with or without Style accompaniment. I tried different EQ settings in the Mixer's Master EQ section and the problem disappeared.

So there is hope. I would have never guessed that the Mic Effects being on when using the VH would be the cause of the distortion I was experiencing when using the Vocal Harmonizer.

I am grateful that others here on the SZ have provided tips and have knowledge that I am/was not privy to and many times that tip or tidbit of knowledge is just the thing needed to get the problem corrected.

Thanks again Al and others for sharing your advice and knowledge with me and fellow SZ members. It is much appreciated guys!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-10-2004).]

#214445 - 11/11/04 12:27 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Chony... If you don't 'at least' do that, then (no offense), but you really have no grounds to complain.

Scott

Ok Scott, you got me. Is the only person to call Steve Demmings or is there an official Yamaha department that deals (and listens) to these problems?

#214446 - 11/11/04 04:37 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Thanks for the tip Al!

Fantastic Mike!!! Glad I could help.

Even with the Effects off, remember, you still have to modify your vocal style somewhat with the VH switched on. As Uncle Dave suggested, your volume levels have to drop a little into the microphone to avoid getting distortion spikes.

Now that you fixed your problem, this does not absolve Yamaha from admitting they goofed when they overloaded this DSP chip the way they did. There are times I want to use Mic effects on along with the VH.

It's a shame we have to work around the issue like this. Perhaps Yamaha can incorrporate a TC Helicon unit in future arranger keyboards.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#214447 - 11/11/04 06:03 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

I just reveived Yamaha's mic cable adapter wiring diagram from Leo, and guess what--it's dead wrong. Every diagram shows an XLR cnnector with pin #2 as the hot wire and pin #3 grounded. I checked every mic I have, which is way too many, and all have pin #3 as the hot pin--NOT GROUND!

I also checked with the local tech and he said "Pin #3 is always the hot pin, at least on every mic we sell at the store, and even if it has a floating output, pin #3 is still hot. If you were to ground Pin #3 with a floating output, this would cause distortion, especially if you were singing at a high level."

Additionally, Yamaha's keboard wiring diagrams, at least the PSR-2000, 740 and 3000, show a mic input jack that is a standard, 1/4-inch, mono plug--not a TSR.

Hope this is of some benefit to those experiencing problems,

Gary

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online