SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#214468 - 11/15/04 04:24 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
smythrocks Offline

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI. USA
You're absolutely correct. It is BROKEN. I've tried 7 different mics and have spent countless hours "tweaking" the settings. I finally said screw it, and purchased a TC Helicon Voice Works. My PSR9000 harmonizer was much better.
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Hey people! I don't mean to be rude, but some of you just don't seem to be reading what we're writing!

Its not the mic. Its not the input. And its not just "mediocre". IT IS BROKEN!! The kind of distortion levels I am getting on this machine - are crazy. As soon as you add VH and / or effects to the original voice, it suddenly sounds like you're listening to yourself through smashed speakers!

Okay, now I'm calm(er).

Chony

#214469 - 11/15/04 06:27 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think I should look into a new carreer. Hey, why not! At 64 years of age, I don't have a lot of years left, and there are things I have not done yet.

In this particular instance, I think Yamaha should provide me with a large quantity of repair parts for the PSR Tyros series of keyboards (assuming they'll come out with another Tyros), unlimited travel expenses and fly me all over the world to diagnose and solve keyboard problems. I know that many of us are doing this at no expense to Yamaha right now, but what they really need is an airbourne agent, one that knows the musical entertainment, OMB biz, has sufficient technical expertise to diagnose problems and fix them on the spot, plus the ability to communicate with individuals around the globe in a reasonable time frame.

OK Steve Demming, the ball's in your court. Pass this along to upper level management, tell them there's an old man out there with those credentials who can perform this service for a reasonable salary, plus travel expenses. Time's running out--I'm an old guy, so keep this in mind.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214470 - 11/21/04 06:28 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Hey There,
All of a sudden topic just dies..
after all that discussion...is there no confirmation out there that LeoD suggested settings ..work.
ESPECIALLY SILENT ON ISSUE IS STEVE i.e Mr YAMAHA....if you're lurking there Steve...I did send you a private message, which to my dissappointment has not been acknowledged...perhaps you or your minions(should you be on vacation) would care to comment.
I have been using the concept of increasing high end Master EQ settings now on last 5 gigs ...very successfully, so I do believe that this one is now sorted on your behalf...with of course lots of help from other Forum Members.....
So Steve I dont think you should remain silent on the issue.

Respectfully,

LeoD...Long established YAMAHA Customer.

#214471 - 11/21/04 08:12 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
LeoD,
I appreciate your efforts on this, but I haven't really had any problems with my VH using my own e.q. settings, which by the way DO increase the highs quite a bit.
I seldom have time to bring the Tyros into the house and "play" with it. Our moderate weather this time of year allows me to leave it in the van for the next day's job. However, I will try the settings exactly as you say, to back up your research as soon as possible.
Regarding e.q.: The long-time accepted theory of e.q. is that it is best used for cutting frequencies that are not wanted, rather than increasing frequencies, because increasing the highs artificially can add noise to the sound. It has long been acknowledged that it is best to create the "curve" that you want, for example, by cutting the lows more than increasing the highs, or at least a combination of both rather than boosting all highs. Having said this, the Tyros e.q. setup might well be an exception to this theory, but looking at my "curve" it seems to mirror yours, but by decreasing instead of boosting some of the bands.
In any case, if it works for you, don't try to fix it!
DonM

#214472 - 11/21/04 11:57 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
LeoD,
Our moderate weather this time of year allows me to leave it in the van for the next day's job.

DonM

Man, oh Man!! Don, I hope you have a good security system on that Van of yours. And I hope you keep it garaged and not in the driveway overnight.

If it's in the Driveway overnight it might be a good idea to chain a BIG guard dog next to the Van with just enough slack for it to reach around all four corners. And don't feed the dog 24 hours prior to chaining him up.

Another idea may be to rig a sawed off Shotgun with a hair trigger next to where the Tyros sits.... When the guy opens the Case for the Tyros - Whamo!!

Uh... On second thought... That would probably kill the sucker. It would be better to just maim him some so he has time to think about what he almost got away with, all the while writhing in excrutiating pain from his attempted heist of a $3,000 machine. - The Tyros NOT the Van. So you may want to pack the shells with rubber pellets instead..

Just kidding of course... But I do hope that Tyros of yours is safe and secure in your Van when unattended Don.

Now, about the Tyros VH, I'm glad that LeoD has solved a majority of his problem by boosting the High EQ settings. My problem was basically solved [not entirely though] by turning off the Effects button on my Tyros. I've noticed as Don Mason mentioned, that the Tyros VH unit does not like external sounds/music/noise, etc. from a PA system or Speakers that feeds into the Mic. That noise/music or sound combined with the users Voice can wreck havoc with the Tyros Vocal Harmony unit when the VH is turned ON. So I think the Tyros' VH is just very finicky and pre-cautions should be taken to minimize that "flakiness" that the Tyros' VH seems to commonly exhibit on a lot of Tyros'.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-21-2004).]

#214473 - 11/21/04 08:55 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Dnj Offline

#214474 - 11/21/04 10:57 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mike, the van is pretty secure at my house. After all, this isn't California!!
I'm not real certain we even have a key to lock the house. I only know of a couple other guys around here even interested in arrangers. Hank the Lurker wouldn't steal mine!!
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-21-2004).]

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online