SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214428 - 11/09/04 11:10 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Hey people! I don't mean to be rude, but some of you just don't seem to be reading what we're writing!

Chony, I'm not sure WHO you were refering to when you said 'some of you', but I for one, read you loud and clear. As I said before, if if yours is not a low output mic or with the Tyros mic trim/mic vol settings, then, as I STATED before, you are gonna HAVE to email or to speak with Steve Deming at Yamaha USA directly (714) 522-9011 to get a CASE NUMBER started for your complaint. You may need to repeatedly plead YOUR CASE to him (as I had to), as well as find others willing to contact Yamaha & start case complaint numbers as well, before you see any resolution, as this is exactly what Steve Deming advised me when I reported the Tyros 'fill to self' & USB port hardware problem. It took (a LONG) while, but it finally got resolved. Good luck and give Steve Deming my regards when you speak with him. I'm sure he's happy not hearing from me lately. - Scott

#214429 - 11/10/04 05:26 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have to say that I have had success using the Tyros Vocal Harmonizer. As with all of these devices, certain cautions must be used. I agree with Uncle Dave. You have to control the Vocal Harmonizer, you can't let it control your voice by screaming into the Mic; It just won't handle the overload.

In LeoD's situation, he fails to mention he is using TWO Shure SM58's Y-Jacked together and input into the 1/4 mic input of the Tyros. This could have a huge impact on his results.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#214430 - 11/10/04 05:43 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
acctjm Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
Y-jacking mic's will introduce problems. I once made a Y-jack adapter to hook up two SM57's for a leslie and it severely changed the freq response of the mics.

#214431 - 11/10/04 06:10 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.... what is the purpose of the 2 mics jacked together? ...
t.

#214432 - 11/10/04 07:09 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hmmm . . . perhaps its for "hi-jacking" 2 singers in a duet of yet another awful chorus of that 70's tune: "Feelings".

Scott

#214433 - 11/10/04 07:51 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Two mics into the same quarter-inch jack will not work. This creates a horrible impedience mismatch that essentially renders both mics useless. Granted, there will be sound generated by the mics, but you must keep in mind that Ohm's Law comes into play here. The mics are essentially made using a moving diaphram with a coil beneath it. That coil of very thin wire has a resistance, which is halved with another similar coil is placed in parallel with it. Consequently, the impedience of the mics, when in parallel, is divided by two, thereby overloading the input device, which in this case is the vocal processor.

I agree that most onboard vocal processors are sub-standard when compared to stand-alone , MIDI-controlled, vocal processors. And, while the effects such as reverb, echo, delay, are just fine, the harmonies leave a lot to be desired. That's why I have a pair of Digitech VRs (one for back-up) and use it whenever possible. As Dave, and anyone else who has used the external processors will tell you, there is no comparison.

BTW, I don't have a powerful voice, therefore, when I use either the onboard or external processor, I don't usually have a problem. However, I did try to mimic the problems using the PSR-2000 and 3000, and both will distort using any mic if the volume is turned up too loud, or if you put the mic real close to your lips and sing extremely loud. The mics I tested were the SM-58, Sennheiser 855-E, Crown CM311-A and Samson Q7. The same mics plugged into the Digitech VR performed flawlessly using normal singing levels. However, if you crank up the input level and sing loudly into the mics using the VR, it too will distort. Dave's statement about voice control is right on the money.

Hope this is of some help to those experienceing problems,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214434 - 11/10/04 08:14 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Well I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Btw, my Effect button is ON when using the VH Al. I have the DSP in Effects on "DSP 6"/MIC/HALL 1. That may well indeed be my problem. I will try it "dry" and let you guys know the results when I'm able.

If after exhausting all other avenues I and/or others still have the problem then it may well be a batch problem and most likely a Hardware problem as stated. It would be interesting to know the approximate 'serial' numbers on the Ty's affected. If they are all in close proximity that would bolster the theory of a batch problem and it should bolster the case with Yamaha I would think.

Also, I have the Shure Beta87A which is a Cardioid Mic but if Yamaha is saying the Shure 58 is ideal I would have no reason to believe my 87A is any less ideal. The SM58 is a dynamic Mic of course but I "DO" supply my 87A with proper Phantom power you realize.

I might try a different Cable going from my Rolls Phantom Power Adapter output to the Ty's Mic input also if turning the Effects button off doesn't correct it.

Best regards,
Mike

#214435 - 11/10/04 10:05 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Hey Guys,
It's LeoD with some clarification on the issue of 2 Mics into KBD.
1) I have successfully used 2 Mics into 8k & 9k without any difficulty ...for years.
2) only one Mic at any time is used with VH operating...I am well aware that any VH is cofused by 2 seperate signals at the same time.
3) On 8k & 9k the only downside to 2 Mics in is a slight drop in power/sensitivity, but definitely no detioration in quality.
4) On 8k & 9k I have also used mikes in via passive mixer..again successfully.
5) On Tyros distortion of VH occurs just the same with ONE Mic Only directly in .

There is a lot of good info on ths thread & I thank you all for that. I am no techie, but I do know when Mic is working properly or not.

The point made about adjusting one's voice, is interesting and I would have thought very reasonable...except it does not explain how the same singer singing the same song, using the same VH selection will cause T to distort (badly) and be clear as a bell through 9k.

Come on guys give me some credit....
I have also made the point that Yamaha's instructions on 'Proper Mic Wiring'..is WRONG...and..DOES NOT WORK.,...Somebody anybody please go to www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/KnowledgeBase..
last Par. with supporting Diag..QUOTE " If using a low imp Mic with a detachable cable, use a cable which has an XLR connector on one end and a Tip/Ring/Sleeve 1/4male plug on theother. Also the jacks MUST be wired as shown...UNQUOTE..diagram
shows XLR-*2hot...to BalPhone -Tip(hot)
XLR-*3cold..to..Bal Phone-CenterRing
XLR-*1Gnd...to BalPhone- Sleeve

The above instructions apply to SHURE SM58 which also happens to be recommended by Yam as SUITABLE.. for use with 8k-9k & T

The fact is that the only way a Mic can be used in any of the KBDs mentioned is if ppins *1 & *3 i.e Cold & Gnd are both connected to GROUND...either at XLR or Jack end .

Now I hope this helps to clarify any misconceptions or misunderstandings I may have created. The fact remains that Ihave 3Yam KBDs...on 8&9k 1&2 Mics in do work-but use only 1 at a time in VH mode...on T no 1&2 Mics work fine but in VH mode even with only i mic in ..VH does not work..distorts.

Respectfully,
LeoD.

[This message has been edited by LeoD (edited 11-11-2004).]

#214436 - 11/10/04 10:10 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Chony, I'm not sure WHO you were refering to when you said 'some of you' ...... as I STATED before, you are gonna HAVE to email or to speak with Steve Deming at Yamaha USA directly .........I'm sure he's happy not hearing from me lately. - Scott

Scott, this is exactly the reason I'm not planning on calling Steve Demming. I'm not interested in having a prolonged and painful discussion until I get this resolved. I watched you try to get to a resolution for six months for your USB problem with very dissappointing restults all along the way. And quite frankly I don't have the time or energy for that kind of perserverence.

Its dissappointing because I know that when I have a problem with my laptop for example, they give me no problems at all. I bring it in, they fix it the same day, and I'm a very happy customer.

Chony

#214437 - 11/10/04 10:13 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
A QUESTION about using those Y plugs.

There's been discussion about using the Y plug for 2 mics. But can a Y plug work the other way? For example can I plug the two prong side into an L and R output, and the one prong mono plug into a mono mixer input?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online