SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#214306 - 03/09/05 05:02 AM Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks to our friends at Bohm, it dawned on me; Why doesn't Yamaha build a high end arranger rack unit?

This would take care of the keyboard feel issue since you could go out and buy your own controller just the way you like it.

Add some speakers, some pedals and your on your way!!!!

C'mon Yamaha, give me my Arranger Rack unit!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#214307 - 03/09/05 05:12 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I second that!

#214308 - 03/09/05 06:03 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I thought of this too but decided it wasn't practical due to the ergonomics needed to use an arranger. Getting to the intro/verse/chorus/fill buttons while playing could be a little difficult if the arranger was rack-mounted... I personally like having those buttons very close to my hands. Certainly you could assign midi controller buttons to this function or use an MFC foot control or some other scheme, but setting up MIDI functions isn't something that a lot of arranger players want to get into. That's why there have been many table-top arranger units made. I would be in favor of Yamaha coming out with a successor to the QY-series and I've seen calls for this in non-arranger forums as well. I think a table-top QY-3000 (based on the PSR3000) would be cool and useful.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 03-09-2005).]

#214309 - 03/09/05 06:05 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Not rack, but modules, Technics did it earlier on, remember i.e. AC80.
Ketron does, Böhm does, and there are more, but who?
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 03-09-2005).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#214310 - 03/09/05 06:17 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Thanks to our friends at Bohm, it dawned on me; Why doesn't Yamaha build a high end arranger rack unit?

This would take care of the keyboard feel issue since you could go out and buy your own controller just the way you like it.

Add some speakers, some pedals and your on your way!!!!

C'mon Yamaha, give me my Arranger Rack unit!!!

I could not agree more. Bring it on Yamaha!! Make it portable and price it like a module and I think you would see good results. Or at least I hope they would see good sales results.

#214311 - 03/09/05 06:35 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That's a really good idea! Yamaha please take this into consideration.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#214312 - 03/09/05 09:15 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
I am with you guys!! I was even considering dismanteling a PSR 3000 and building a module!!!! Got so pissed off with the Ketron XD3 bugs!!!

#214313 - 03/09/05 09:42 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Keep the comments coming! I'll pass them along.

Steve Deming

#214314 - 03/09/05 11:47 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, give me an arranger module with Motif sounds and a sampler and I will replace my PA1Xpro!! : )

[This message has been edited by harosha (edited 03-09-2005).]

#214315 - 03/09/05 01:18 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Great Idea,
I loved my Roland, Korg And Technics arranger modules. Was able to use whatever conroller I wanted ( normally I had them midied to my digital piano). Saved having 3 keyboards plus a piano. Could never work out why they stopped making them.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#214316 - 03/09/05 01:29 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Imagine having an Akai MPC module with synth and arranger capabilities, you really can't ask for more : )

#214317 - 03/09/05 01:53 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Yes, I would deffinitely buy an arranger rack unit. Though I would prefer a surface unit like Ketron (http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm).

#214318 - 03/09/05 01:58 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Remember the Yamaha EX5r?...

I found one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=7305119791&rd=1 its an older model, and not an arranger. But it has Motif sounds i think, sequencer and a sampler.

Phil

#214319 - 03/09/05 02:18 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
What about something like the QY100 with better arranger controls that actually was easy to control live.

#214320 - 03/09/05 03:38 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I thought of this too but decided it wasn't practical due to the ergonomics needed to use an arranger. Getting to the intro/verse/chorus/fill buttons while playing could be a little difficult if the arranger was rack-mounted... ).]

Aaahh, but with the proper midi controller, you will have control surfaces that can be used to send control messages to the Rack Arranger and thus mimic the surface controls of the All-in-one keyboard.

Take a look at this controller: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

Won't this do?

Al

#214321 - 03/09/05 03:40 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
kbrkr Offline

Also, some Rack Arrangers have control surfaces that would normally appear on the keyboard. You simply mount the rack unit ON TOP of the keyboard controller, and your controls are at your fingertips; albeit your left hand fingertips!!

#214322 - 03/09/05 03:58 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Pennywizz6 Offline

The M-Audio controller is fantastic, decent feel, by far the lightest hammer action ive felt. But i like it better than most other hammer action boards. But talk about heavy... eek, over 45 pounds! Plus a 25 pound rack... that gets pretty brutal for heavy gigging! The buttons and knobs feel nice, and the construction is sturdy. Tons of great reviews. And the price isnt that out rageous. It would be my prime choice for a one place only controller.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-09-2005).]

#214323 - 03/09/05 05:20 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Aaahh, but with the proper midi controller, you will have control surfaces that can be used to send control messages to the Rack Arranger and thus mimic the surface controls of the All-in-one keyboard.

Take a look at this controller: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

Won't this do?

Al

Sure it would work... LOTS of controllers would work... but I wouldn't want a rack-only arranger because personally I don't want to haul a rack around just for that purpose. All I'm saying is that an arranger model that could be BOTH rack-mounted or used as a table-top unit would be the ideal solution. Isn't that Bohm rack arranger also a table-top model? It looks like it from the picture. That's why I think a "Yamaha QY-3000", based on the QY-series but with the modern PSR3000/Tyros sounds, would be very cool. The QY-series is overdue for a new model anyway. Add the capability to use some optional rack ears for those who want them and there you go...

I'll bet I could design a "QY-3000" in Photoshop pretty easily.

#214324 - 03/09/05 05:51 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
kbrkr Offline

Ok, I understand you now. The Bohm is a table top model. I've never looked at the Qy series. I'm going to research it some and see.

Tyros in a box would be ideal for me.

#214325 - 03/09/05 07:10 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Penny,
The EX5R was an AWSOME rack synth. I don't know why Yamaha cheesed out on the Motif rack by dropping the sequencer and a few other things. The EX5R was basically the EX-5 synth without the keybed, but still with all the internal features. I think they should add the sequencer to the Motif rack along with all the goodies in the sampling area

Oh yeah Phil, what's the status on that Roland Fantom? Did the guy ever deliver it to you?

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-09-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#214326 - 03/09/05 07:28 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Squeak,

I agree, man. That looked like one great rack module. I would have to concidered one of the Motif racks with a sequencer and a sampler!

As for my Fantom i dont think hes gunna send it! That really pisses me off, i waited about 2-3 weeks now, wasting my time and passed up several other deals that I could have bought. I called him today and got voicemail. I left him a message and hopefully will reply soon, and pray that it includes a tracking number! Ill get my money back the 11th, and will have to look for another. Wish me luck on that. Finding one for the price i got is slim pickins! Ill let ya know what turns up!

Phil

#214327 - 03/09/05 07:43 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
It seems the link didn't work last time. Here's a Ketron - not a keyboard, not a rack -- but a control surface. This, is what I would like from Yamaha. http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-09-2005).]

#214328 - 03/10/05 02:58 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I agree with the point that you need a desktop unit rather than a rack unit so that you can easily get at all the buttons.

Is the Roland DiscoverM desktop unit an arranger module?

I've seen arrander modules from Korg, Gem, and Solton before now. Are any of these still going?

#214329 - 03/10/05 03:31 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
I've seen arrander modules from Korg, Gem, and Solton before now. Are any of these still going?

Yes, i.e. Solton are now Ketron
http://www.ketron.it/prodotti/index.asp?idTipo=2

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#214330 - 03/10/05 06:10 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
to the genesys Offline

But if you have a desktop arranger, where would you put it on a gig?

Could it fit on the controller keyboard or do you have to have a 2 level keyboard stand.

#214331 - 03/10/05 07:55 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
PSR 3000 without the keys, with usb with the output flexibility of the tyros. Same op sys & seq.

#214332 - 03/11/05 01:53 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Shakil Offline

Not the same Seq as PSR3000 or TYROS.. PLEASE!!!!! Put the MOTIF sequencer

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 03-11-2005).]

#214333 - 03/11/05 01:57 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Sequencer, sampler = a MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST !!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!!MUST!!!! MUST!!!!MUST!!!!

Sorry, button stuck

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-11-2005).]

#214334 - 03/12/05 09:21 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Don't know for what you use your arranger, but I play semi-professionally (part-time for money but also have a day job), and have absolutely no use for either a sampler or a sequencer. In fact, I think that a laptop would work for either (or both) better than a dedicated unit in the keyboard. I would like the capability to bring in standard format samples, like Akai, or the like, which can be bought commercially, but an arranger will not have the sufficient editing capability to comepte with a dedicated sampler, nor should it. I don't think anyone in this forum has used sampling features of their arranger keyboard for anything more than recording cheezy sound effects. I think it is fair if the manufacturers do not make all of us pay for these useless features.

I also believe that most high-end arrangers have sequencers which are quite adequate. I am sure that even the sequencer in a high-end workstation will not come close in functionality to a computer-based one, even if the main limitation is the smaller screen, though you must also figure the screen navigation using a mouse vs the much-lower precision of the touchscreen, and having a full QWERTY keys instead of hunting and pecking for the right characters on the keyboard panel.

Regards,

Alex

#214335 - 03/12/05 10:22 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i am not a pro player but i get around numerous Gospel concerts and am asked tohelp produce and arrange for numerous choirs in the Birmingham and london area. I need an all in one unit simply because i do a lot of work "onsite" that is actually with the various choirs making adjustments to songs or arrangements there and then. A decent sequencer is essential on an arranger keyboard. I could do without the sampler if i absolutely had to but i use the one on my Psr 8000 quite extensively although it is rather basic. Maybe i am the exception to the rule but i would like that feature too.

#214336 - 03/13/05 04:20 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
to the genesys Offline

An arranger with a sequencer with editing capabilities is very important for gigging musicians. Sometimes you don’t always want to play with styles but use full songs.

With respect to a sampler, it is not just for creating goofing sounds, but also a way to increase your sound arsenal. A sampler makes a gig more personal to the musician that is you can have signature sounds and effects that you can be known by.

An editable sequencer and sampler is just the minimum that pro musicians expect and demand with a high-end/flagship keyboard whether workstation or arranger.
A module with an editable sequencer and sampler would give a professional musician so much flexibility in terms of creating music and portability of the instrument. You don't have to think about walking with 2 3 4 extra things when you are on the road or traveling locally to a gig.

For those who may not want those important features on an instrument, (and there is nothing wrong with that), there are other types of keyboards that they can get. For example, the PSR 3000 seems to be doing well for those who have it.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 03-13-2005).]

#214337 - 03/13/05 06:34 AM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
mikeathome1 Offline

It seems to me that they already make the dream keyboards with 76 keys, sampler, sequencer, expandability of sounds, etc. But nobody wants to pay the 6 or 7 thousand dollars.
So the real argument is to build the Dream keyboard for 2 thousand bucks.

I for one don't need a keyboard that connects to the internet, and I would rather take the money that costs to improve something else or lower the price. Whose idea was that anyhow?

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 03-13-2005).]

#214338 - 03/13/05 12:04 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

I for one don't need a keyboard that connects to the internet, and I would rather take the money that costs to improve something else or lower the price. Whose idea was that anyhow?

"IDC" Internet Direct Connect on the new Yammie Arrangers is a masterminding concept from the masterminds at Yamaha's marketing division to try and extract as much money as they can out of the poor fellas that own them. LOL..

Actually, (and seriously speaking ) Internet Direct Connect could in the future be used in a much more usable way if it were USB 2.0 or Firewire capable and used for something other than downloading midis or styles, etc.

With high speed transfers, greater possibilities open up like Audio (WAV, MP3, etc.) plus a host of other creative utilizations, one being VSTi implementation. Until then, IDC in my opinion is just a gimmick, and one that is not even operational yet.

But I think in what they're doing, Yamaha at least is 'trying' to be innovative and creative by branching out with new ideas and new concepts to help those musicians who use their products. In other words you have to give them credit for at least trying to stay cutting edge and ahead of the pack. IDC is one such way, but just needs further development to be used to its full (unrealized) potential. And I'm not talking about just raking in more money either..

Best regards,
Mike

#214339 - 03/13/05 12:24 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
mikeathome1 Offline

I think they could accomplish alot more by making them Fast Ethernet compatable, then you could connect to your home computer system, the internet and beyound.
Before ya all jump on me I use Fast Ethernet as an example because it is already so common it is now almost standard on almost all computers.
I have a home network with 3 desktops and a laptop and it cost me about a hundred bucks.

#214340 - 03/13/05 12:39 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
kbrkr Offline

With a keyboard rack unit, you would not need a sequencer or sampler built in to it. The arranger itself is a sequencer on steroids. In using Rack/Module setup, you can just add a specialized sampler to your setup if you need custom sounds.

Just think, you could add top notch Tyros arranging and sound functions to any keyboard with midi capability including the Motif. Wow, what a combination.

#214341 - 03/15/05 06:31 PM Re: Hey Yamaha, build me an Arranger Rack Unit!!!
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Yes, give me a Tyros module that weighs about 7 lbs and a controller keyboard that weighs about the same and I am sold. When can I get one?

Scott Langholff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online