SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214198 - 09/24/07 05:41 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Ian,
So you had the X4500 !

You know to this day I still can`t figure out why Yamaha made a KB with only 8 note polyphony !

The 510 had a really great blues style that had a running bass line that was perfect for "House of the Rising Sun".

I really miss that style.

Speaking of styles , do you find that the styles are on the flat side ( non expressive ) as compared to the Y2K or even the Y3K ?

I really didn`t have time to tweak them , but they just sounded a bit on the bland side.

You know you almost have me wanting another go at the S900 !!

Thanks !!
Gary

#214199 - 09/24/07 06:17 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Gary,

Yep, the X4500 was a bit wanting in poly...but it sure looked cool...and those huge wheels...

And, yes, I remember that blues style on the 510, and also on the PSR-1700 which I bought later...I think you can find it on one of the style sites.

I think I sort of got used to the styles in the 3k, and when the S900's styles weren't much different, I was not as impressed as I was with the former when I first heard them.

The 3k's(and S900)styles were more realistic than the 2k to me, mainly because of the Mega Voices.

I got the S900 mostly for the SA sounds...the Sax is sumptuous, and the Guitars are groovy.

No regrets.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-24-2007).]

#214200 - 09/24/07 06:45 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
jedi Offline

Thanks Ian , for the added info about the styles , maybe thats it , the voicing , being a different kind altogether would affect the styles. I should have another look I think !!

Yup !!
Those huge "roll bars" on the X4500 were something , I found that it actually worked quite well , once you got used to it. But still , I had notes dropping all over the place !! LOL
They could have given it at-least 16 poly !!

Hi have tried in the past to find that 1 blues style from the 510 , and so far no luck , some that were close , but not the exact style , my search continues.

Well thanks again, take care.
Gary

#214201 - 09/24/07 07:53 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You forgot to mention USB 2.0 jedi. It is a "must" have for the T2 replacement. Considering that the new USB '3'.0 specification will be out in the second half of 2008 I would hate to see Yamaha make the 'fatal' mistake of giving the T2 successor the antiquated USB 1.1 again.

FWIW, I recently purchased a Roland Sonic Cell PRO that has the ability to load .wav, .aiff, .mp3 and SMF's. It uses USB 2.0 and the data loads very quickly. I can load 200 megabytes in just a few seconds, versus the Tyros2 with USB 1.1 which takes an excruciatingly long time to accomplish the same task.

All the other suggestions on your wish list are things that I hope Yamaha implements also. Just the idea of Yamaha boasting of a 256 note polyphony Arranger would ignite extreme curiosity in the music world since it would be an industry first. That feature alone would go a long way in making the T2 successor a hot item and needless to say a huge hit for Yamaha in my opinion. And in my opinion they couldn't go wrong if they offered both a 76 key version and a 61 key version. Yamaha might even be surprised that a 76 key version out-sells the 61 key version. One thing for sure, you would make both camps i.e. (those who want 61 keys and those who would rather have 76 keys) happy. >> Happy Campers. The way Yamaha could make it feasible from a financial standpoint would be to initially produce more of the 61 key version and hold back on the production of the 76 key version until the market indicates a ramp up of either one or the other.

It's been said that you can make some of the people happy all of the time and all of the people happy some of the time but wouldn't it be a novel approach if Yamaha strived to make ALL of the people happy ALL of the time? They could actually accomplish this feat in my opinion if they made both a 61 key and a 76 key version of the T2 successor.

That.. and give it USB 2.0.
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-07-2007).]

#214202 - 09/24/07 08:00 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
Dnj Offline

And Yamaha dont foget to put in to the T3/or Psr/S whatever a much better Vocal harmonizer TC Helicon like Korg or Roland g70's. & add Transpose save to the MFD too sheeeesh.

#214203 - 09/24/07 11:54 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The hardware of a new board is decided in the very early stages and matches the common equipment in computers at that time, (It takes 2 – 3 years to bring a new board to fruition) which is why Tyros 2 has USB 1.1 as it was the most prevalent at the time.
As to 76 notes, Yamaha research has told them that there is not enough demand for a 76 note Arranger, and this combined with the Unmitigated sales disaster of their last 76 note Arranger, means 76 notes are unlikely to see daylight.
As a rule of Thumb if you want to guess the hardware on a New Hardware based Arranger (From any manufacture) look back 2 -3 years in computer history.

Bill

#214204 - 09/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
jedi Offline

O-yes , USB 2.0 is important but...

It should also have FireWire !

Tyros 3 ( 76 key ) / FW 400 or 800

Tyros 2.5 ( 61 key ) FW 400 & USB 2.0

Also after much thought , the T - 2.5 should also have built-in speakers.
Similar to the S900 only better , say 30 watts per side , or even 25 WPC.
Ported acoustic designed enclosure , with in the body of the A/KB.

USB ports ( 2 ) one in the FRONT !! , that`s important !!

Real plastic buttons and real switches ( like a Motif or Tyros is now ).

Well , that`s it for now , back to the drawing board !!

Gary

#214205 - 09/25/07 02:19 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
I would be most happy if a new board did not have onboard speakers. I would rather have a board that does not carry the extra weight of speakers and amplifier but was much lighter. For a pro sounding board, you would want to get decent speakers anyway and place them appropriately. I don't see why they are such a popular requested item.

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#214206 - 09/25/07 03:57 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
jedi Offline

Hi,
I like on-board speakers because the KB stays put !!

I would use the KB for home and studio use , so weight would not be a big problem.

I defiantly see your point and it`s a good one , a lot of people make there living by playing out and giging , I did the same a few life times ago , so I know where you are coming from.

But for my use , on board spkrs works best for me,

That is not to say that a Tyros 2 is completely out of the question , still thing about it.
But when you consider the cost and the S900 with almost the same stuff ,( lack build quality ) it`s really hard to justify the added expense of the Tyros , but after trying the Motif XS , I really like the action and the quality build and if I`m not mistaken the Tyros 2 has the same build quality as the Motif XS. I know it has the same key bed.

O__ well , more sleepless nights !! LOL

Gary

#214207 - 09/25/07 04:13 PM Re: Is there a T2 replacement on the horizon?
Dnj Offline

30/45 day return policy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online