SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214011 - 09/26/03 12:20 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
AJ,

Now that you have asked, here is what I would expect in the top of the line keyboard:
1. Loads of polyphony - 256 voices would be about right (especially, since Ketron allows us to layer up to 4 voices per program), good allocation to avoid sound drop-outs
2. Eliminate floppy drive in favor of a memory card (allow two slots), do not hamstring them with some artificial limitations of maximum size. This is not instead of the hard disk, which should also be available as an option - this way you do not have built-in obsolescence of a 6 GB disk, which was probably a big disk when the SD1 was designed, but now it would seem downright puny.
3. Allow MP3 playback capability - many live performers would use it for background music between the sets
4. Keep the SD1 form factor, but add speakers, even if small 20 Watt per side - Korg could do it, so can you. Better still, include speakers which can be removed, with the grille openings covered by solid covers, so that people who want to save weight, or create a seemingly more "professional" appearence can have it their way, while Uncle Dave and I can have our speakers in.
5. Navigation - SD1 with a bigger screen, preferrably plasma, or another light-emitting technology, which allows visibility in the ambient light. Color is optional - I don't think it adds much to the usability. What is important is display density - paging should be reduced to a minimum, and only used during the setup. In performance mode, I should be able to select what I need with one (or max two) button click - sounds from the list of one touch buttons, styles (bank/style - without paging). If you need to have 20 selection buttons beside the screen, then that is what must be done.
The selection buttons themselves should be not on the sides of the screen, requiring a reach or using right/left hand, but below the screen (like on Roland Fantom), where they can be reached with either hand. This will probably call for a short and wide screen.
6. Sounds and styles - I think that stock Ketron sounds and styles are fine (quite good for the most part), but you are never going to please everybody. Hence to be ahead of the market, you must have expandable/modifiable contents of sound and style storage memory: if someone does not like your, say, piano sound, they can add their own (or replace yours). I think, a better choice would be to have a fixed sound and style set, but allow users to install reasonable amounts (256 MB or more) of sample memory, which can load industry-standard sample formats. To me creating samples is secondary - I buy an arranger keyboard to get me playing quicker, not tinker with the sounds, and sampling process can be very time consuming. But if I wanted to purchase a CD with sounds which to me sound exceptional, having the right amount of battery-backed/flash sample memory would be absolutely invaluable. Another option is to allow streaming from Disk or Flash media - here is where having two card slots would come handy. The instrument should also allow configurable tone maps, to map loaded tones into, say, XG or GM soundsets.
7. Connectivity - I think USB 2.0 would be adequate to allow multi-channel digital audio to be sent to the computer. Firewire is another option, though fewer computers come with Firewire ports, while virutally all new PCs have USB 2.0. Also, in addition to the USB 2.0 slave port, provide a USB master port, to allow connection of external QWERTY keyboard for data entry or storage device (CD or HD) for backups and loading. If you want to really outdo them all, provide drivers for various fader control surfaces, which would give slider control to the mixer and sound synthesis sections, and who knows what else.
8. I know this is not traditionally Ketron thing, but the multi-pads would be very helpful for most of us who want to introduce variability to our playing with the otherwise canned styles. If you want to one-up Yamaha, allow playing back audio segments (from the memory card or disk), and not just MIDI snippets.
9. Controls - the appearence of the front panel gives all the Ketron instruments an outdated look. The master volume slider is what, 40 MM long? Look at all the competitors, the sliders appear much longer, giving the impression of giving better control to the user. The Ketron is the only major brand which does not provide an encoder wheel for tempo control (in addition to the buttons), and other data entry. The page back and forward buttons (if still required) should be located next to the screen. The multiplexed use of buttons should be eliminated/reduced - I should be able to press the button sequence without having to look at the screen for the current state of the system, the same way I don't need to look at the black and white keys when I play. The vocal harmonizer should also have dedicated controls.

This is not an all-inclusive list, but this is what I'd pay my $3000+ for.

I think that the experiments with the PC-based arrangers, such as the ones that Frank Rosenthal is doing, are heralding the way of the future. However, I think that it is still possible to build a dedicated instrument that can be sold for a competitive price, and hopefully, that is the goal of your company.

Regards,
Alex

#214012 - 09/26/03 02:18 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Hi,

Personally, I would like to see things like this in a new Ketron:

-Big color screen (Hi-Res)
-Much more WaveROM (at least 96 MB, preferably the double).
-More Sample RAM
-Much Poly (at least 128-256 notes)
-Joystick instead of wheels
-USB 2.0 connection
-Deep editable synth engine (So I can tweak those sounds hehe)
-Workstation features (Arpeggios, Phrases, drumloops, advanced sequencer)
-Support for many sample formats (Including PC formats like soundfonts/gigasampler).
-MP3 (pro) playback
-Optional CD/DVD/CDRW drive
- 3 versions: 61 keys with speakers, and 76 & 88 keys without.
-Style import tool, to load Roland/Yamaha/Korg/Gem styles
-Expansion slots: Polyphony expansion, Sound and style expansion.

I think that about covers it LOL, if Ketron would create something like that it would be way cool!.
So AJ, when is the next Ketron arranger gonna showup ??? , I was kinda intrested in the SD1, but it is already 2 years old, and I prefer something newer.
Thanx for asking us, way 2 go AJ!

Greetz ,
Marcel

[This message has been edited by Wazza (edited 09-26-2003).]

#214013 - 09/26/03 02:31 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
The Accordionist Offline

AJ -

I think within The Pro's response lies the answer. He's been around a long time and involved with keyboards for many years. He plays professionally and knows what he is doing. He's familiar with the big brands and knows intricate details about the differences between a Tyros MegaVoice and a 9000 Pro sample.

And he refers to your company as KEYtron. This is in NO way a knock on the Pro. It goes to show you that here in the states we know extremely little about Ketron. We've heard the name, the same as we've heard about the Kia Sophia automobile, but that's about it. We don't know anything about the company and aren't really interested in finding more out because you have so little prescence.

I bought a Ketron because it is the DeFacto standard for accordionists. It's modular and is perfect for playing the accordion. I would never have purchased a Ketron keyboard. I'd go with Yamaha because of the ubiquity of Yamaha outlets, service centers, support groups, and parts. I might go with a Korg because I do know that name. Ketron? No way.

I have been trying to get an answer to a very rudimentary problem with my Ketron that is actually causing my sound to suck. I had to work elaborate work-arounds to use my Millenium's accordion sounds rather than the Ketron's because I can't get bellow expression from the Ketron sounds. I finally gave up.

I bought a Yamaha AW16G DAW and have had EVERY question answered by user groups on the spot. You can't beat that kind of support.

By the way, I LOVE my XD3 and it has given me unlimited joy and people love listening to it. I'm glad I bought it but I'll be honest: If Yamaha had a module version of the 9000 or Tyros, I'd sell the Ketron and buy the Yamaha in a heartbeat. My Ketron screen flickers from bright to faint periodically and every time it does it I dread the fact that the whole thing might die. I can't imagine trying to get it repaired.

Thanks.

Tommy

#214014 - 09/26/03 03:06 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Roel Offline

Just some personal remarks :

The SD1 is much heavier than e.g. the Tyros because of the 'semi-weighted' keys. Every single key has a metal part in it. This creates the great keyboard'feel'.

Tommy :
Almost all displays cause the problems you described, sooner or later. My SD1 display was replaced for free.... no questions about the SD1 age! (2.5 years)

It is mentioned by others already : Speed up the processor, harddisk and the FDD.

Perhaps the switches/buttons need some improvement in size/color/quality/feel ?

An internal sequencer is not required.
Built in speakers not required.
CD-ROM /burner not required

Having a clock in the display would be nice (like WX'es have)
Stereo sampler & vocalizer are both a must.

Roel

#214015 - 09/26/03 03:33 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
The Accordionist Offline

Roel -

My XD3 is three months old!! I have a 7 year old Alesis SR-16 and its display is fine (I know, it's not lighted). I have countless other products with LCD/LED screens that don't exhibit this problem. I have the XD3 connected to a Furman Power Conditioner on a dedicated grounded outlet and still it flickers and darkens. I don't consider this normal behavior and have never felt that a company's good nature to fix something like this with no questions asked represents quality. I have a buddy who bought a new Ford F250 truck and has has the automatic transmission replaced THREE times under warranty for free. I'm sure he doesn't feel that his truck is now reliable.

That's how I feel about my Ketron. As long as it keeps working, great. But if that screen dies during a performance I'll never buy Ketron again.

Just my opinion.

Tommy

#214016 - 09/26/03 03:55 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Roel Offline

Tommy,
I'm sorry, but it looks you misunderstood me!
What I tried to say :
Many Ketron instuments with this type/brand of display show this flickering or black lines. You don't have to wait for a 'dead' display.... it can/should be replaced or fixed as soon as problems show up !

Roel

#214017 - 09/26/03 04:01 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Tommy,
I'm sorry, but it looks you misunderstood me!
What I tried to say :
Many Ketron instuments with this type/brand of display show this flickering or black lines. You don't have to wait for a 'dead' display.... it can/should be replaced or fixed as soon as problems show up !

Roel

Sorry for the misunderstanding Roel! I thought it was weird that you would mean that all displays will have this kind of problem sooner or later! I should get mine replaced soon then, because the black lines are getting more and more frequent!

As an aside, is that something that you can send them and then they send you a new one and you install it? I'd sure hate to send this XD3 anywhere. I'd almost rather live with the problem if that's the case!

Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the heads-up!

Tommy

#214018 - 09/26/03 05:14 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I'll have to agree with kbrkr. I like to play around with a keyboard before I decide to buy one, especially in SD-1 price range.

When I bought my PA-80 last year, I was very interested in buying a SD-1 but none of the local dealers carry this board. The specs on this board are awesome, it has every feature that I would like to have in a pro arranger board, but I didn't want to spend that much money on something that I have only seen in pictures on the net.

#214019 - 09/26/03 07:01 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
AJ,

And how did Korg manage to get PA80 in Sam Ash and Guitar Center? Yes. I saw them both there for considerable time and they are still there. How come?

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 09-26-2003).]

#214020 - 09/26/03 07:14 PM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As you said, AJ, buttons in the correct place, i.e.: on the left side. Dealers that will stock a display model or two. Multipads would be nice.
DonM

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online