SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214001 - 09/26/03 09:02 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I am so glad this question was asked.

Just to let you know, I have owned a PA-80, VA-7, EM-2000, G-800, and now have a Tyros and SD-1

I would have to say if it was possible to morph the 2 keyboards, and a couple of additions you would have the arranger board of the decade.

Tyros wins in the
Operations
screen
layout
weight
half the styles
half the sounds
Polyphony
quick layer ability
front mic volume

SD-1 wins in the
vocalizer
xlr input
dynamic range
extra keys
more compact design
half the styles
half the sounds
hard drive interface with certain functions

SD-1 bad points
layout, still not easy enough for live play
polyphony
operations
screen
info on screen

#214002 - 09/26/03 09:04 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Same story here AJ. I live 105 miles from New York city, 45 from Scranton, Pa, less than 2 hours away from most of the larger cities in the northern half of New Jersey, and about 125 miles from Philly. I haven't been able to find a ketron to try out in any music store in any of these areas ( Ok I didnt look that hard last time I was in Philly ). I was interested in looking at the XD9, but . I'd have had to drive to Maryland to do it. I just haven't had time to do that. It's a 4+ hour ride to Baltimore.

A top end arranger is no small investment, so I really need to be able to spend some time with one before I'd consider it.

AJ

#214003 - 09/26/03 09:10 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
1) A unit that would be comparable in price to a PSR2100.
2) It must be available. I won't buy any keyboard without playing it first.
3) The voices that I use most often, in order, are: 1 acoustic piano, 6 hammond organ, 1 flute, 1 tenor sax, 1 trumpet, 1 strings, 1 brass. I don't want quantity, I want quality (I counted 12 voices). If these voices are outstanding, It doesn't matter much if the others are not outstanding. Roland's 3000+ voices doesn't impress me.
Starkeeper

#214004 - 09/26/03 09:12 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I would buy an XD-9 or SD-1 if it has the following:

-Similar priced to Yamaha PSR2100 or KORG PA80 respectively.
-At least as much functionalities and weight as PSR2100 or Tyros respectively. You can drop the color screen.
-Internal speakers as loud or better than above kybds. Some days, I just want to plug it in and play without worrying about amps, etc.
-Better or equal sounds in all major categories than above. All you need is some killer sounds in those major categories and label it like YAMAHA does. Sweet sax, Live piano, etc.

Bottom line is you need to beat Yamaha and Korg. Even a slight edge will do it. The fact that the marketing is poor will sway a lot of users just because you guys are SLIGHTLY better and cheaper. You don't have to be MUCH better, just sLIGHTLY.

An example to give SLIGHT advantage:
-Match the specs of PSR2100 but add longer 76 keys. Like CASIO WK series did but their sounds are awful. And if your prices are similar to PSR2100, I WILL JUMP BOAT AND GET THE KETRON instead.

OR just match PSR2100 and provide a louder speaker (like CASIO WK series).

OR just create a lowend keybd like CASIO WK (below $500) series and put expansion slots to add stuff to make it match the high end arrangers.

CASIO WK series is only like $200-300 for a 76 keys board. If you just replace that internally with a PSR2100 keyboard, I will dump the PSR and get that one instead in a heartbeat !!!

I REALLY don't think it's that hard. The product will sell itself. At least in this forum. I will recommend it to all my friends.

#214005 - 09/26/03 09:37 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
An excellent post Lukitoh.
Put me down also for a 76 note resonably priced keyboard.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-26-2003).]

#214006 - 09/26/03 10:30 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
lukitoh Offline

PSR2000/PSR2100 is ALMOST an ideal keyboard. It just lacks the following:

-The default registration should revert to the last setting !
-Vocal harmonizer can be improved, not sure how since I am not an expert. But I don't sound like a choir when I sing thru it no matter what adjustment. It still sounds weird and robotic. Make it simple but sound like a choir right out the box. The mic settings is great though. It will be great if you can save the VH and mic settings as part of the registration
-Also, maintain the voices categories in a registration memory. For example, for the RH voice keep the piano settings at grand piano, brass at pop brass, strings at slow strings, etc for a given registration setting. So when I press that registration button and press the piano button I know I am going to get grand and when I press the brass I know I will get pop brass, etc.
-Recording: should have an easy record function like some of the low end psr line of the past. Just press record and record away all the tracks (RH, LH and rythms) and press stop to stop. PSR2000 is a bit more complex.

-Han

#214007 - 09/26/03 10:33 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello AJ:
I am VERY happy with my SD1, after 2 years I still find it interesting....I have collected over 10,500 styles/patterns, converted from different brands, songs, etc....excelent tech & upgrade support, so is great!!.
My wish list is:
Faster internal processor, more polyphony, larger & Color LCD screen( perhaps tilt too), USB port for easier/faster management of HD, Smart media port/CD burner... perhaps some color coded buttons for certain areas and or lighted, video/DVD Tutorials (examples how to make wav sync in SMF,like some songs from Manuel Artero's from Spain ). Also perhaps to make a deal with EMC for a "bundle" package for Ketron buyers....

Thanks, I know you DO listen.

#214008 - 09/26/03 10:34 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
lukitoh Offline

Also, IMITATE (COPY if you can) the PSR layout. It is sooo easy and intuitive to use. All the buttons are at the right place.

#214009 - 09/26/03 11:32 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all,a couple of days ago we was talking about yamaha not giving the people what they want, and now that ketron has put this question up it shows that ketron are prepared to listen,and its the low sales what cause this,i like their approach ,because instead of puting into keyboards what they want us to have,now they are asking,nice work,mike

#214010 - 09/26/03 11:35 AM Re: What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ketron_AJ:
What would it take you to purchase a Ketron Workstation/Arranger?

Hi AJ:

In addition to concuring with the other comments already given:

Ketron sounds appear (to me) to possess a MUFFLED (covered?) sound quality as well as having an overly emphasized bass. Though this creates an initially impressive dynamic 'in your face' impact, I personally find this to quickly become fatiguing to my ears. I prefer a clean & less 'bass hyped' (more natural?) sound quality that I feel the Tyros & PSR2100 offers. If Ketron could do this, I would definitely reconsider purchasing a Ketron board in the near future, as I was impressed with Ketron's willingness & success at implementing my request for jazz (rootless chord) recongition on the SD1.

Scott

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online