SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#213725 - 02/24/02 07:05 PM recording help
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello all,
I am trying to record on the pc. I have no problem recording the keyboard, just run line out of the keyboard to line in on the soundblaster live platinum. However I want to record a vocal track and run through my digitech vr into the pc so that I can use the effects on the digitech. The problem is that each time I record an audio track when played back it sounds like I am singing from the bottom of a bucket. Now I know that this may be considered an advantage by those who have already heard my warbling but it is getting on my t (sorry it is annoying me!)

It does not matter which prog I use to record, from cheap (but rather excellent I think) N-track studio to cakewalk sonar the result is just the same.

It does not matter which mic I use either from sm58 to a £25 roland job. The only way I can get anything like a decent signal from my voice is to record through a cheap pc headset mic meant for speech and then apply effects in cool edit 2000. This seems ludicrous given all the expensive stuff lying around seemingly useless. Besides I look rather strange as well..(see how superficial I am? I have to look right! )
Many thanks in antici.......pation
ttfn
Tony

#213726 - 02/24/02 11:39 PM Re: recording help
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Tony,
I have a SB Live Platinum 5.1 and I too have a problem with the front inputs (the signal is too weak), so to get a decent signal I have to plug the left and right outputs of my keyboard in the small line input on the card itself (in the back of the PC), using an adapter. No point in getting an expensive peace of gear if you have to use it like a cheap one, or is there a hidden sensitivity controller for the front inputs that I have missed?

#213727 - 02/25/02 12:03 AM Re: recording help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tony & Andrea: There should be a speaker icon in your Windows PC 'system tray'. Double click this icon. This will bring up a volume control level settings window. If 'Microphone' is NOT included in this window, then select options>properties. This will bring up a checkbox list. One of the items in this list should be 'microphone'. Place a check in the 'microphone box'. Hit OK. 'Microphone' should now appear in the 'Volume Control' window. Be sure that the mute checkbox is NOT checked. You can now set (increase/decrease) the microphone input volume level when recording. This should hopefully solve your problem. Please let me know. - Scott

PS: If the speaker icon does not appear in your system tray, you can also access the volume level controls by going to Start > Control Panel, and then selecting 'Sounds & Audio Devices'. Select the 'audio' tab, and then click on the 'volume button' in the 'sound recording' section. This will take you to a window where you can set the microphone level. This explanation is based on Windows XP. If you are running Windows 98/Me etc, things may look slightly different, but should be similar enough for you accomplish what I'm talking about.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-25-2002).]

#213728 - 02/25/02 09:38 AM Re: recording help
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
yes, I went already through all these steps, but still there is a difference in input sensitivity between front and rear inputs ; I will check again all the possible input gain regulations in my PC.
Thank you anyway
Andrea

#213729 - 02/25/02 10:54 AM Re: recording help
Tony W Offline

Hello Scott and Dreamer,
I have never found a problem with the inputs on the live drive. As I said I can record the keyboard with no problem on any of the connections....ie aux 2 or stereo L+R in and indeed have to turn the front panel gain knob right down. Very clear recordings are possible on either connection. It is just vocals. I can get a loud enough signal that is no problem but the quality is atrocious...like I am at the bottom of a well with my head wrapped in tissue paper! (just like a dream I had but that's a different forum )

Dreamer
Have you tried when recording... bringing up creative recorder and creative mixer? There are record levels on there as well as general volume settings. I know that I have to tweak them EVERY time I start a new project. The windows sound controller needs to be checked so that Aux 2 or the like is enabled but I do all the controlling from creatives own software. Hope this helps.
ttfn
Tony

#213730 - 02/26/02 03:35 PM Re: recording help
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
soundblaster cards are great for gaming, but are not worth beens for recording. I have heard that the new soundblaster audigy card is better. You would be better of getting a card that is made for recording. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

#213731 - 02/26/02 04:12 PM Re: recording help
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Tony,
have you tried to send the vocal from the digitech
through the "line in" on keyboard and record
the voice
signal mixed with the keyboard "line out" to see if
the vocal bucketsound is similiar?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#213732 - 02/26/02 06:49 PM Re: recording help
Tony W Offline

Hello Gunnar,
No I have not tried this. Will do so and let you know the result. It is almost 3am here at the moment so I had better wait until tommorow or else the other half and the dog will think I have lost it completely
ttfn
Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online