SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213551 - 11/16/06 05:39 AM Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Just got off the phone from the local repair shop and my satellite speaker system will NOT be ready for my restaurant gig tonight.

Damn...

That leaves me to use my Yamaha Club series 10's...

Here's the problem, though...

Im literally in a corner of a small lounge area. Client wants it loud enough for the majority of the restuarant to be able to hear me, while not TOO loud for the patrons in the lounge. There is really no room behind me at all...and no good room to my left. The tables in the bar are approx. 5 feet from my keyboard...soI'm not sure how I'll pull this off.

Ideas?

Thanks-

Bill

#213552 - 11/16/06 05:43 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
What else is in your rig besides the yamaha speakers?

Doc-Z

#213553 - 11/16/06 05:46 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Tyros 1
Behringer PMX 2000 Power Mixer
Vocal Harmonizer

#213554 - 11/16/06 05:48 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Dnj Offline

turn the speakers to face the wall behind you

#213555 - 11/16/06 05:59 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
turn the speakers to face the wall behind you

DITTO!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#213556 - 11/16/06 06:25 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I would run the volumes at 7 or 9 o clock, and turn the 4 lowest EQs on both sides a little down.

Doc-Z

#213557 - 11/16/06 06:56 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Hmmmm...

Ok, one speaker will be about 5 feet to my right along a wall (Remember, I'm sitting in a corner...) The other, I think will be about 5 feet to my left, up against the other wall.

Are you guys suggesting I aim the speakers back into the corner, OR directly at the walls they site in front of?

I HATE it when there's not enough room for stuff!

Thanks

Bill

#213558 - 11/16/06 07:01 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Dnj Offline

at the walls....dont worry the sound will reflect & fill the room

#213559 - 11/16/06 07:04 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
at the walls....dont worry the sound will reflect & fill the room

I did this once or twice before, and found the walls acted like a reflex cabinet, which required I cut my lows a tad...

Hey Donny-You working tonight? Go grab a charter get to Dayton and run my sound for me tonight, ok? You'll love the food...best place in town..

My treat!

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-16-2006).]

#213560 - 11/16/06 07:17 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I have the same problem at an Italian restaurant I work. What woerks for me is to put one cabinet on the floor, where the horn dosen't hit the people at the closest tables in the face. The other one, I bounce off the wall, aimed toward the dining room.

Sometimes, I use wedge monitors aimed towards the ceiling. Just this week, I'm going to run a couple of 10's to the dining room (there are shelves about 10 feet high). I'll line out and power the 10's with a little 4 lb Crate 150 watt guitar head I just got ($99.00-Musician's Friend).

You'll figure it out!

Good luck!

Russ

#213561 - 11/16/06 10:19 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
There's is no perfect answer but I would lay speakers on their back so they fire upwards.

#213562 - 11/16/06 11:17 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I've had the same problems in the restaurant that I've been doing for about 6 years. I tried all of the suggested remedies. I can't offer anything for tonight's gig, but you may want to consider the Bose L1 with one bin especially for that kind of room.
Ciao,
Jerry

#213563 - 11/16/06 11:24 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Love my Bose! Perfect for such a situation.
Since you don't have one, I think the suggestions made are the only way out.
Good Luck!
DonM

#213564 - 11/16/06 11:30 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Hey Donny-You working tonight? Go grab a charter get to Dayton and run my sound for me tonight, ok? You'll love the food...best place in town..My treat!

Bill.....this is basic performing 101....you have to adjust you sound to every and any conditions or room you play every night ...they are all different....asking question like this here does nothing for what YOU hear while your playing the room & need to make adjustments, EQ tweaks, etc ....a professional know what to do on stage ...& I'm sure a performer of your caliber will be just fine once you get going.....there are NO RULES!
AS far as taking off tonight?....sorry I have a dance club to run & perform.....besides being booked till the end of the year.....days off are far and few between.....but I appreciate the offer and would be honored to attend one of your performances and chow down on some great food too.....who knows maybe someday I will do just that....? Any good luck & have a great Holiday!

#213565 - 11/16/06 12:44 PM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill.....this is basic performing 101....

Yes, of course it is...And no, I really haven't read anything that I haven't tried before for this problem, but I do know on a few occasions I HAVE been given ideas I hadn't thought of before...(Esh's suggestion of a FM Transmitter into the place's stereo aux in, for example...Alas, their stereo is 500 years old and can't work with that approach.)

With this particular problem, I haven't really come up with a great solution. Like you say what works at one place, may not get it done at another. Sometimes by asking, I'll get a sense for what hasn't worked for other guys and go a different way. Its always different. Also, as I've posted elsewhere from time to time on SZ, restaurants aren't really my cup of tea. So, while I feel I can do dances and senior events with my eyes closed...My expertise level isn't as high in eating establishments. I don't embarrass myself by any means because I do use common sense and pay attention to my audience.

Who knows, the place may be dead tonight...with no one in the bar except me and the bartender...

I'll check in when I get back in...

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts...

(Once I've had the T2 and the Music Pad Pro for a little while, I'll devise a strategy to trick my wife into buying a Bose system for her birthday in January!)

Bill

#213566 - 11/16/06 03:46 PM Re: Suggestions needed...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Buy the Bose, tell her the other system fried, then after using the L1 for a couple months, tell her the other system made a miraculous recovery. NAH! She won't go for that one either...

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#213567 - 11/16/06 04:29 PM Re: Suggestions needed...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Buy the Bose with free 12-month financing, then don't tell her for a YEAR.
DonM

#213568 - 11/16/06 07:23 PM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Gary, Don...you guys are funny...

Well, arrived at 5pm for the 6pm gig at the restaurant. Loaded in...Owner came over said hi, and commented on how big the speakers were. Got set up, did a quick sound check with one speaker directly behind me (I could lean back and hit the stand) and the other one off to the right of me, not more than 6 ft away. Behringer boxamp just off to my right like usual...

Owner comes back around and says he wants to talk to me about volume. (I knew these would be overkill, crap!) He says, "These things sound awesome! When we fill up a little more, crank it up a notch or two, ok?"

When I started playing in the lounge tonight, there was three tables sitting in the bar listening to me...One couple I know from previous visits...played a few songs they like...everything going cool. Also tonight, I adding singing to the gig. There was some question as to what effect it would have on the diners...but he said go for it. It went fine...there was applause after virtually every song I did tonight... A group of other friends that see me in their city came to Troy tonight for dinner and to hear me. Even though its a bar...several times, couples got up and danced...

I'm used to having the mains flared out behind me so I hear everything going on. It sucked having one speaker directly above/behind my head...It was listening to Mono of something. So many of the Tyros' styles are stereo...and to hear only half of them was very odd. I know it sounded better to everyone else. Maybe I'll pick up a hot spot monitor and run it from the other speaker to pick up the other half...

This is different for me as restaurants go because even though they started out billing this as "Bill Corfield playing light jazz", its now morphed into "Bill Corfield on the keyboard" which will soon be "Bill Corfield singing", blah blah blah...

Also, the Executive Director of the local Historical Society dropped her biz card into my tip jar along with a ten. On her card she asked me to contact her for a nice event next year....cool...

Now I'm enjoying the last few bites of my Tortellini...

All in all, I should be very satisfied.

I'd like to find a smaller power mixer w/effects to use for this. I need something with 3 stereo channels (One for the Tyros, one for the harmonizer and one for my mp3 player.

To top it off, there was a phone call from a potential client from Florida who is interested in me coming down for a week over the summer to do some shows for a private retirement group.

AND....

I found in my inbox a shipping confirmation email from Music123 telling me that my Tyros2 has shipped!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

...all I need is my music pad pro to be shipped and I'll do a jig or something.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-16-2006).]

#213569 - 11/16/06 07:24 PM Re: Suggestions needed...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Gary, Don...you guys are funny...

Well, arrived at 5pm for the 6pm gig at the restaurant. Loaded in...Owner came over said hi, and commented on how big the different speakers were. Got set up, did a quick sound check with one speaker directly behind me (I could lean back and hit the stand) and the other one off to the right of me, not more than 6 ft away. Behringer boxamp just off to my right like usual...

Owner comes back around and says he wants to talk to me about volume. (I knew these would be overkill, crap!) He says, "These things sound awesome! When we fill up a little more, crank it up a notch or two, ok?"

When I started playing in the lounge tonight, there was three tables sitting in the bar listening to me...One couple I know from previous visits...played a few songs they like...everything going cool. Also tonight, I adding singing to the gig. There was some question as to what effect it would have on the diners...but he said go for it. It went fine...there was applause after virtually every song I did tonight... A group of other friends that here in in a nearby town came to Troy tonight for dinner and to hear me. Even though its a bar...several times, couples got up and danced...

I'm used to having the mains flared out behind me so I hear everything going on. It sucked having one speaker directly above/behind my head...It was listening to Mono of something. So many of the Tyros' styles are stereo...and to hear only half of them was very odd. I know it sounded better to everyone else. Maybe I'll pick up a hot spot monitor and run it from the other speaker to pick up the other half...

This is different for me as restaurants go because even though they started out billing this as "Bill Corfield playing light jazz", its now morphed into "Bill Corfield on the keyboard" which will soon be "Bill Corfield singing", blah blah blah...

Also, the Executive Director of the local Historical Society dropped her biz card into my tip jar along with a ten. On her card she asked me to contact her for a nice event next year....cool...

Now I'm enjoying the last few bites of my Tortellini...

All in all, I should be very satisfied.

I'd like to find a smaller power mixer w/effects to use for this. I need something with 3 stereo channels (One for the Tyros, one for the harmonizer and one for my mp3 player.

To top it off, there was a phone call from a potential client from Florida who is interested in me coming down for a week over the summer to do some shows for a private retirement group.

AND....

I found in my inbox a shipping confirmation email from Music123 telling me that my Tyros2 has shipped!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

...all I need is my music pad pro to be shipped and I'll do a jig or something.

Bill

#213570 - 11/17/06 05:56 AM Re: Suggestions needed...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill:

Great success story.......and on the new toys, nothing like them Enjoy

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-17-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online