SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212946 - 02/18/06 03:48 AM OMB + Hypersonic + Vstack + ???
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I have an older version of OMB (v.4) and I just purchased hypersonic 2 which supports GM patch changes, so I thought I'd give this a go on my laptop as an alternative to an arranger keyboard. The sounds of Hypersonic 2 is amazing, and on my home studio machine I use it with a sequencer, and I must say it sounds like a real band! It truely rivals the hardware workstations, and the arpeggiator is really cool! But.. I thought I might use it in ECO or Default memory mode with OMB on my laptop, that way I could use a midi file player / karaoke player for backings and just play piano and sing to it. It sounds great, but I get some midi timing problems... Sometimes the playback slows down, then speeds up, there are no dropouts, but there is a real inconsistancy in the timing. It seems nearly random to. I'm using a P4 2,66 Ghz with 512MB of ram, windows XP pro. It should have the juice for this... I think. Hypersonic is showing an avarage of 20 - 40 MB of ram usage in ECO mode. I'm loading up Hypersonic in V-stack, and using MIDI Yoke to transfer midi from Van Basco's Karaoke player. And I'm using Asio for All drivers. Any idea on how to fix this?

Doc-Z

#212947 - 02/18/06 07:15 AM Re: OMB + Hypersonic + Vstack + ???
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Check if you processor has SpeedStep. If it does, go to the BIOS or the Control Panel Power management, and disable it.

SpeedStep slows down computer clock when it is not being actively used (e.g. a few minutes after the last time you touched the keyboard or mouse), or when it is running on the battery.

Perhaps this is the cause of the problem.

Good Luck

#212948 - 02/18/06 07:56 AM Re: OMB + Hypersonic + Vstack + ???
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Thank you for your reply, but this is disabled, and didn't help. I'm also running the laptop on net power.

Any other ideas?

Doc-Z

#212949 - 02/18/06 11:03 AM Re: OMB + Hypersonic + Vstack + ???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Doc I think it could still be a ram problem...512 is not a lot in today's world..Can you bump it up , to see if it makes a difference?..There is also a parameter on your computer the limits the ram when in use..you can raise this..Also , you can set the priority of the background programs..

#212950 - 02/18/06 02:18 PM Re: OMB + Hypersonic + Vstack + ???
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
have you considered updating to version 8 of OMB? Shouldn't cost much or try the demo version. Gives you great editing functions for the styles & can be used to play in Pianist mode.
I used to get some glitches with vers 5 or 6
( can't remember which) using my old win 98 celeron laptop with only 64 mb memory, but I was using a Clavinova as a soundsource , not a softsynth. The same old computer appears to work okay with version 8 and the Clavinova.

I was running soundfonts (up to 200+mb's) with Forte http://www.brainspawn.com/products/forte/?op=forte
on a 512 mb laptop without any glitches, that is, until I accidently fried my computer, so now I'm back to using the old Win 98 one.

You possibly may need more memory for Hypersonic.

I've also ended up buying a cheap nasty little numeric keypad to attach to the piano for triggering Intro's , fills & variations in OMB . I've ended up with about 14 keys that I can assign.
I don't like using the piano keys for this function, and trying to find the perfect spot for the laptop to sit on the piano was difficult.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doc-z:
[B]I have an older version of OMB (v.4) and I just purchased hypersonic 2 which supports GM patch changes, so I thought I'd give this a go on my laptop as an alternative to an arranger keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online