SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#21287 - 09/20/01 08:16 PM XP 30? RS 5? What is the best keyboard to start a small home studio with?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone out there give me some advice, please?!?

I need a keyboard that is not too large and under $1,500.00 with a large amount of sounds. Preferrably, but not necessarily necessarily new.

The most important feature is for it to have great acoustic sounds, like upright (jazz) bass and piano, as well as great electronica sounds, like "techno," "dance," etc.

All suggestions welcome!

------------------
Kathleen M

#21288 - 09/21/01 06:54 PM Re: XP 30? RS 5? What is the best keyboard to start a small home studio with?
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Xp-30 is your best choice.the Rs-5 got very good sounds. so as the Xp-30(little older). but the Xp-30 is Expandable if you hate the sounds in side.the Rs-5 is not!.

#21289 - 09/24/01 07:28 AM Re: XP 30? RS 5? What is the best keyboard to start a small home studio with?
bobzooka Offline

XP-30, No question. Already has the Orchestral and Techno expansion board sounds built in so your needs are covered pretty much. But there's much more in there. The RS5 is a pretty good sounding unit, but I just don't see it standing up to the XP-30 when it comes to all the extra features. Hey, they had to cut corners to get the price that low, right?

#21290 - 09/25/01 03:43 AM Re: XP 30? RS 5? What is the best keyboard to start a small home studio with?
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!
I would buy the XP, too. To everything what was written by vic83 and bobzooka I want to mention that the RS5 has no aftertouch. I don't know why, even my old and cheap SY35 has aftertouch...

#21291 - 10/08/01 05:18 AM Re: XP 30? RS 5? What is the best keyboard to start a small home studio with?
shima Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
I would buy the XP30 either, actually I own one and am quite happy with it. If you´re looking for good acoustic sounds, the XP30 has them. The session board has some great piano sounds, the orchestral board has as much good sounding strings as you want. The techno card is not the best. Especially if you like techno, you might be a bit disappointed, however it delivers a good basic set of tr-drum sounds.

If the 1500 sounds aren´t enough and you like organs and e-piano sounds, than get the 60ies&70ies-expansion card.

Shima

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online