SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212731 - 10/12/04 10:10 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Uh, now how you gonna do that?

I actually barter my services as a Web Designer. My Jazz Piano teacher is now paying me for web work!!!!!

It's a beautiful thing.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#212732 - 10/12/04 10:13 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
So, what do I do with my right hand whilst I'm keeping the chords with my left hand and singing the melody?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#212733 - 10/12/04 12:23 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don't go there.

Seriously, I've been the lead singer of every band I've ever played in. I couldn't imagine not singing and playing, although I like instrumentals as much as the next guy.

#212734 - 10/12/04 02:07 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was an instrumentalist for years before I begansinging...mostly in Ventures type bands and later Dick Dale like surfing bands.
Began singing when someone in my trio had to. Always thought I lost my edge asa musician, or at least too the edge off my focus.

Shouldn't complain, I guess. Have done many voice-overs and a lot of jingle work.

Have never bothered to do a personal demo. All my recording work is for film scores and commercials.Of course, choosing me is easy. I'm the producer, and I work CHEAP!

Russ

#212735 - 10/12/04 02:42 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had to make that decision many years ago as a guitar player. I learned that people understand/appreciate a voice far more than an instrument --- and I am talking about our audience not some selected indivduals. My guitar playing never became as good as it might have been, but the trade-off kept me in the business for many years.

Besides, it's fun to sing -- If you have doubts about how good your voice is, give a thought to Louie Armstrong. If you have something good inside you they'll hear it.

IMHO, John C.

#212736 - 10/12/04 04:39 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Uh, now how you gonna do that?

Chedk out the local community college--most offer voice lessons at a reasonable rate. If you have a mediocre voice to begin with, they can polish your strong points, teach you how to properly breathe, inprove your vocal range, and help with you phrasing.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212737 - 10/12/04 05:04 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I'm a pretty good singer. I don't have a signature voice like Uncle Dave. Heck I was born in Brooklyn!!

So was Frank Sinatra...

If you aready are 'a pretty good singer' and you enjoy singing, then it's a no-brainer... do it. I sing because it's fun, for me, that is. I started out ~ a year ago with an average voice and now it's, well, better than average. All the above advice is good stuff. Go for it and have fun.

#212738 - 10/12/04 11:19 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Sorry Glenn.... Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken, New Jersey.... but he had something in common with Al: he was of italian descent.... so I think that Al's problem is half solved already.

#212739 - 10/13/04 06:44 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The best thing Frank ever did was surround himself with the FINEST musicians and charts around. I'm a fan of his work, but his voice was no where near as good as the sum of the parts that included his orchestrations and bands.
Look at what Nelson Riddle did for Linda Ronstadt!

Singing is communication, and it much more important to sell the message than the notes. You audience can ralate to the message, but they MAY not be musicians and singers. Learn the song - MEMORIZE the words, and then tell the story. It's the only way to really sing a song.

#212740 - 10/13/04 08:45 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
U.D.

I've always thought the same thing about Frank IE: good singer, GREAT band and arrangments. Now Karen Carpenter was ...............

Tom

You know that our lead sax player started doing some arrangements for our band. I offered to help him but he said he would rather do it by himself.

That's how he became known as (drum roll) "The Lone Arranger".

Tom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online