SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#212679 - 10/15/04 06:25 AM Re: How to learn to recognize which key of a song(not chords) is played by ear quickly ?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Alfredo,
This is a praise & worship scenario, with (possibly) a new worship leader playing a song you recognize and know, but in a new key. You never played with this person before and they didn't dicuss which songs they would sing and in what key.
Think of this as an impromptu jam session, where you have heard the song before, know the lyrics, etc., but don't know what key the singer will sing in. Now, how do you jump in and start playing without hitting keys on the keyboard?
Lukitoh, jump in if I am off base here.
Starkeeper

#212680 - 10/15/04 06:54 AM Re: How to learn to recognize which key of a song(not chords) is played by ear quickly ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sounds like " Fingertips, Part II" - you have to check that out (Stevie Wonder, mid 60's). Also, as the keyboard player, you have the ability to hit a few 'random' notes that will help you identify what the key is. I've heard keyboard and guitar players do this very skillfully and no one ever knew they were searching for the key.

I think what you want to do is paractically impossible unless you have perfect or near perfect pitch, which we've already discussed. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-15-2004).]

#212681 - 10/15/04 03:03 PM Re: How to learn to recognize which key of a song(not chords) is played by ear quickly ?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Starkeeper is right, that is the scenarios I am dealing with where a new song that was not rehearsed AND suddenly gets asked and I am sometimes at a loss to find the key quickly. Once I got it, then I can play all the chords and accompaniment quite readily.

#212682 - 10/15/04 09:30 PM Re: How to learn to recognize which key of a song(not chords) is played by ear quickly ?
alfredo Offline

BINGO:
"Also, as the keyboard player, you have the ability to hit a few 'random' notes that will help you identify what the key is. I've heard keyboard and guitar players do this very skillfully and no one ever knew they were searching for the key."

That's what I do and it's no problem. One, two or three notes played in time and I know where "Do" is.

[This message has been edited by alfredo (edited 10-15-2004).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online