SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212536 - 07/12/05 02:56 PM I'm a bit confused
torecagli Offline

Loc: Istanbul, TURKEY
Hi guys
I've a Tyros for 7-8 months.Music is a hobby for me now.I try to play songs i like and make some simple compositions.But i've serious plans for the future(i'm in highschool).
I don't know if it was a good decision for me to get a Tyros.I don't play live, so the styles are not very important to me.Here is what i'm confused about.What are the differnces between arrangers and the other keyboards(not built in style, i don't know what you name it).I'm curious about which one is proper for me.For exemple; what are the advantages of having a Motif ES in comparison with Tyros?What would i miss if i had bought a Motif ES?I'm not a professional yet, but i want to use the keyboard which sounds most realisticaly.I really like Tyros.But i would be happier if it has sampler and digital out.

I'm not planning to sell my Tyros for now.I just want to understand that who really needs an arranger or who doesn't.
See you

#212537 - 07/12/05 03:09 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This question has come up several time in the past It can be very confusing when starting out, and not knowing exactly what boards are geared towards.

An arranger is a keyboard that has preset styles that consist of mutltiple parts such as drums, bass, chord, ect. These styles can also be triggered via auto accomp.

A non arranger is called a synth or synth/workstation. These boards do not have the auto accomp feature found on arrangers. The newer models have preset patterns, but these are typically preset drum patterns and cannot be used in the arranger format.

Sounds vary between the two. In my opinion before the release of the original Yamaha Motif, good arrangers typically had the upper hand with the "bread and butter" sounds. Meaning they had the edge in the acoustic department, but seriously lacked in comparison with the sonic quality of a dedicated synth for the (synth) type sounds.

Now things are changing. Yamaha for example is now taking their signature acoustic voices that were once only the arranger boards and adding them to the synth line.

What board you choose falls down to your personal needs. With an arranger you'll get the preset styles. When recording with an arranger you can use these styles or create your own for song composition or performance. With a synth/workstation you'll program most of your work from scratch.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#212538 - 07/12/05 03:14 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
torecagli Offline

Thanks Squeak
I'm waiting for the opinions.

#212539 - 07/13/05 09:01 AM Re: I'm a bit confused
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by torecagli:
Thanks Squeak
I'm waiting for the opinions.

Opinions?
It all depends on what YOU want to do. Just because you don't play live, doesn't rule out an arranger. I don't play live and I would never buy a synth/workstaion. I like to just sit down and start playing. I don't want to tweak the voices or painstakingly create drum, bass, and accompaniment parts. If that is what you want to do then maybe you would like a workstation.
So tell us what YOU want to do.
How are you using the Tyros now? (Yamaha calls it an arranger-workstation)
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 07-13-2005).]

#212540 - 07/13/05 10:32 AM Re: I'm a bit confused
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
In general(again in GENERAL)

arranger advantages
-------------------

real time chord triggering

seperate buttons(patterns/varitions/fill)

larger display

direct-disk play(in most)with no loading time( and lyrics)

style sharing/writing

mic(sub standard in most) input with vocal harmony and efx

easier to create demos /lay down the tracts (since drum machine is built in)

workstaion advantages
---------------------

relatively (in most) better sound/efx board and editing,new G70 accecpts a srx board but the main sound board model is uncertain-most propably less than top of the line module)

ie
-MU vs EX/motif series in yamaha(though 3k,tyros has some longer samples,are still alot less compared to a workstation)
-sc88 alike sound canvas vs jv 1080 to xv 5080 boards in roland(G and VA series have some JV sounds but still not much compared to a wkstation)

(exception-Korg models(same as their current workstations) where you can load progs(patches) from workstation(eg- I3 arranger-x3 wkstation board)to (PA series-triton board)

better seq /sound editing func

some are expendable(ROM cards slots or exp boards )

cheaper in the used market(compared to an arranger)

sampling(most are more advanced than your arranger's)

combination/performance patches(ie-layering)

more expressive realtime SOUND control(sliders/ribbon/breath controllers)

and yes-arpeggiator(can be dual-can create wicked dance grooves)

workstations are getting better in user friendliness dept-and arrangers are also gettin better in sound dept)
eg-16 pads,RPS,sampling with mic input and efx in S and X series fantoms
good VH board,mp3 playback,sampling in PA1x etc

but
bottomline-if you go for sound and studio/live band work go for workstation

and ofcourse if you are into solo giging,want to (or must)create many songs /demos in limited time arranger is the answer.it wouldn't hurt to have both though. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009235.html

#212541 - 07/13/05 12:38 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
torecagli Offline

I understand-from what you write- that workstations are sounds better and more professional.The arrangers are mostly the preference of home players.And workstations are more suitable for studios.Am i wrong?

Lets wait and see for Tyros2.I wonder who will win the race in arranger vs. workstation.
Thanks for the replys

#212542 - 07/13/05 12:56 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The makers of the arrangers themselves really give that negative stereotype about arrangers just being for home use. They themselves separate the two even though some of the top arrangers can hang with the big dog synths in the studio and on stage. I'd have to say that now acoustic sounds are about equal on both arrangers and synths (they weren't in the past). However arrangers still do not compare well against a synth for (synth) sounds. So don't let all the negative stereotypes lead you to think that arrangers are just for home use. I'd use a PSR-3000 on stage just as quick as I'd use a Motif ES, Fanton X, and so on. One thing I'd have to say to correct a person who posted before who said arrangers have a larger display. That's not true. The Korg Trinity,and all Trition (minus le series) have large displays. The Roland X series (minus the Xa) also have large displays, for some reason Yamaha and Kurzweil are staying behind here and still using the smaller display.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#212543 - 07/13/05 05:04 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
The makers of the arrangers themselves really give that negative stereotype about arrangers just being for home use. They themselves separate the two even though some of the top arrangers can hang with the big dog synths in the studio and on stage. I'd have to say that now acoustic sounds are about equal on both arrangers and synths (they weren't in the past). However arrangers still do not compare well against a synth for (synth) sounds. So don't let all the negative stereotypes lead you to think that arrangers are just for home use. I'd use a PSR-3000 on stage just as quick as I'd use a Motif ES, Fanton X, and so on. One thing I'd have to say to correct a person who posted before who said arrangers have a larger display. That's not true. The Korg Trinity,and all Trition (minus le series) have large displays. The Roland X series (minus the Xa) also have large displays, for some reason Yamaha and Kurzweil are staying behind here and still using the smaller display.

Squeak

read my post.
if you read the beginning of my post it says-
"In general(again in GENERAL)".
wkstations have more sequencer and sound editing power than arrangers IN GENERAL again(doesn't matter if it's acoustic or synth sounds).as I said there are exceptions.

pro arrangers are not for home use.they are made to gig (ideal for OMB).
all workstations don't sound better than arrangers.(esp- with newer larger mem ROMPLERs.your TYROS is a decent board.you could pick up a used wkstation than selling it.

don't forget major advantage of the arrangers-easy song creation.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 07-13-2005).]

#212544 - 07/14/05 08:44 AM Re: I'm a bit confused
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Torecagli - You don't post what kind of music you intend to create. It might help us help you if you're a bit more specific about what you are trying to achieve.

In general (please remember I said this!!) arrangers tend towards the more 'bread and butter' styles rather than cutting edge hip-hop or electronic styles. This is not to say that they don't exist, but you are probably going to find more styles for schlager or waltzes than ragga or Bristol two-step!.

I think that if you don't REALLY like the arranger's ease of jamming and composing, you will generally have a bit more flexibility of use of a FantomX or MotifES, etc., but the initial 'noodling' while you come up with a song or idea is generally easier on the arranger.

I think in your case, hang on to the Tyros, and get a Triton or FantomX (or take a good look at what you can do with a computer and Reason or Project5 etc.). You probably don't need a Motif because you've already got a good selection of Yamaha sounds in the Tyros.

#212545 - 07/14/05 12:10 PM Re: I'm a bit confused
torecagli Offline

No, i'm not going to sell my Tyros in near future.I know it is one of the best arrangers on the market.Combining Tyros (T2 when available) with a workstation (may be motif es) seems to be ideal solution for most of us.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online