SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212332 - 01/11/07 05:53 PM O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Anyone have any experience with both of these I have cable now but I'm going to switch to Verizon 768k dsl and save a ton. I'm just wondering if I'm really gonna lose alot or not that noticeable?

#212333 - 01/11/07 09:44 PM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Dnj Offline

I'd stay with cable

#212334 - 01/11/07 11:57 PM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I've had both and prefer cable. If you don't need the kind of speed cable offers then DSL is a great choice and is much less expensive. Unless you are downloading and uploading lots of large files, you probably won't see a huge difference.

#212335 - 01/12/07 02:22 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I prefer cable, but,if I could get DSL in my location I would( I'm located too far from a Verizon Central office so no DSL). I'll explain below.

Here's something about cable that doesn't happen with DSL.( to my knowledge) The more customers that use cable in your immediate neighborhood the greater chances of a drop in speed. About 4 years ago when I started to use cable not many in the neighborhood had it. Download speeds were consistenly 1.5 megabits per second. Fast forward to 2007. There must be a least 12 homes on the same city block that has cable. During peaks periods of usage my download speed has dropped to as low as 256 kilobits per second. As far as I know that would not happen with DSL and I would be able to maitain the 756 kilobits per second that DSL offers. I pay $39.95 for cable Verizon is offering DSL for $19.95 reason enough to switch where I live.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-12-2007).]

#212336 - 01/12/07 03:13 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"The more customers that use cable in your immediate neighborhood the greater chances of a drop in speed."

The issue is "Contention" and is a factor on all high-speed connections be they cable or DSL. As you have noticed, you are a victim of high usage on your local cable system.

However if everyone in your area switched to DSL, the same issue would probably manifest itself there as well.

Whatever connection technoogy is used, individual users do not have exclusive access to the local data stream and so when a large number of users are using the stream simultaneously its bandwith capacity is reached and it will react by reducig the amount of bandwidth available to each user, so performance per user will suffer.

Business users pay significantly more for their high-speed internet access (for a given nominal data rate) because the "Contention Ratio" for the data stream they use will be a lot lower than that specified for domestic usage - the lower the ratio the less users are sharing the bandwidth so individual performance is maintained for longer under high usage conditions.

I'm on ADSL here in the UK, our street doesnt have cable; the feedback at work is that the Cable users reckon they get the best deal in terms of performance and availability

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 01-12-2007).]

#212337 - 01/12/07 03:40 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
[B
I'm on ADSL here in the UK, our street doesnt have cable; the feedback at work is that the Cable users reckon they get the best deal in terms of performance and availability

[/B]

Yes. Same here. I live in a cul de sac and the cable people did not come into us.
My grandson locally has cable and he gets much better speeds and availability than me.However I consistently get speeds of 300+ kbs and it serves me well. I pay £14.99 per month for unlimited access through Plusnet.
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#212338 - 01/12/07 05:57 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
I pay $39.95 for cable Verizon is offering DSL for $19.95 reason enough to switch where I live.
[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-12-2007).]

Steve ... Do you have Cox cable TV? ... I have the Cox DSL and it works fine ... I 'negotiated' for $14.95 a month 6 mo intro offer because a friend told me that's what he was paying, and later signed on for 18 mos at the same price ... Check them out ...
t.
PS... Missed you last night ... Diamond was his usual 'jazz animal' self ... He is still playing a Roland XP 10 (vintage 1995ish), but the sounds he gets are really good ... I am especially impressed with the organ sounds which he used a lot last night ...
Hopefully we can get together later in the month ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-12-2007).]

#212339 - 01/12/07 06:31 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

Steve ... Do you have Cox cable TV? ... I have the Cox DSL and it works fine ... I 'negotiated' for $14.95 a month 6 mo intro offer because a friend told me that's what he was paying, and later signed on for 18 mos at the same price ... Check them out ...
t.
PS... Missed you last night ... Diamond was his usual 'jazz animal' self ... He is still playing a Roland XP 10 (vintage 1995ish), but the sounds he gets are really good ... I am especially impressed with the organ sounds which he used a lot last night ...
Hopefully we can get together later in the month ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-12-2007).]

Yes, that's what I have Cox. It works great early mornings because no one else gets up at 5 AM in the neighborhood. 7 to 10 PM, I can get on just fine, the problem is downloading files of any large size. They take longer than usual and also have a tendency to hang up and just stop. I have logged onto the web site DSL Reports
and at that time of night clocked download speeds as low as 232 kbps. There's lots of teens living in my neighborhood probably downloading music. I have a wireless connection and when I look at the list of available wireless networks I see 12, with the possibility of more. I think I will give Cox Cable a call to see if I can get a rate reduction. Thank for the tip on what you're paying

Hopefully in 2 weeks we'll be able to meet up with you and the Mrs. Um, Xp10, I bet he could make any keyboard sound great!

#212340 - 01/12/07 07:13 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Cable $50. + Dsl 22-28 I've had both

I now have cable but would switch in a heart beat if DSL were available here.

Cable is faster but when the kids get out of school the speed takes a big dump in big neighborhoods.

Jerry

#212341 - 01/12/07 08:44 AM Re: O.T.: dsl vs. Cable
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have both in my home..Cable download is much faster..although it varies more than the DSL..DSL actually uploads faster than the cable...Oh, the biggie...my DSL is never down....Sorry I can't say the same with Cable...When the cable is out..no Internet..no TV...no Vonage phone......It's great that I still have the DSL..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online