SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211816 - 08/26/06 01:09 PM 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I went through all of my BIAB styles and found 142 more that I hadn't converted... Now they are done as well.. and here they are:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JJFZ0IW5

AJ

#211817 - 08/26/06 01:31 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hey, I didn't know BIAB styles could be converted. I don't know a whole lot about bIAB, but I thought the styles were a little too random to be converted to another format. I used to use it a bit in college, that was 6 years ago now, but even then I noticed that the bass lines would set up chord changes, and the piano fills, though they did repeat, I don't remember them repeating on a set basis like every 4 bars or whatever.

#211818 - 08/26/06 02:00 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

You're absolutely right. There are random parameters in BIAB styles. The conversions I'm doing are coming from a formatted song made from each style and saved to a midifile.

Yamaha variations A & B consist of parts made from BIAB Main A, while Yamaha Variations C & D consist of parts made from BIAB style Main B. Although Yamaha's A & B parts ( and C & D parts ) come from one BIAB variation, they do differ somewhat because of the way the BIAB styles work.

I think it was you who stated in another post that you would like to see arranger styles fucntion in a similar way. Me too. I've been calling for this for the longest time now. I had hopes in the past that we would see some kind of hybrid of the current arranger and something like Karma technology, but alas, it hasn't happened.

AJ

#211819 - 08/26/06 02:29 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks once again, AJ, for the style conversions.

I, too, wish that Yamaha styles had more "randomness", especially the jazz styles.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#211820 - 08/26/06 03:01 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
AJ,thanks for all your work! Your efforts are appreciated.

#211821 - 08/26/06 03:24 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

You're all very welcome. Ian, if anyone woujld offer such a feature on a hardware arranger, I'd be in trouble because I'd just have to buy it.

Mind you, these styles are raw, but I'm working on some edits and registration memories for them, as well as a couple of demos. They may or may not be quite as good as the internal styles, but they offer a good deal of variety along with some playing styles that we won't find on any of our current arrangers.

I think perhaps some folks might be mildly surprised when I send out a few demos of them tweaked up.

AJ

#211822 - 08/26/06 05:00 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it was me who had mentioned that I'd like to see arrangers work in a somewhat random way like BIAb. So when you mentioned that you just did a lot of BIAB style conversion it kind of threw me off. "how on earth did he manage that?!" Now I understand.

#211823 - 08/26/06 05:19 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
AJ:

Thank you for the additional styles.

I have been tweaking some of the country styles and I must say that they are refreshingly different and a joy.

I spent 3 hours this afternoon just putting 2-3 through their paces. Many are very good, espcially if you perfer a more sparce arrangement. I find some of the Yamaha styles too busy for the music that I want to play.

Thank you again. I look forward to these additions (but at this rate, it might be years!).

Regards,

Michael

#211824 - 08/26/06 05:45 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
AJ: Many thanks for the latest Biab to .sty style convertion additions. Looking forward to checking thesse out. - Scott

#211825 - 08/26/06 05:54 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
trtjazz Offline

AJ thanks for these too. Allot of the others in the first post are excellent!

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#211826 - 08/26/06 06:10 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

You're welcome guys. I enjoy being able to do this stuff.

As Michael mentioned, these BIAB styles are perhaps a bit less detailed compared to the onboard styles. I actually never thought that much of BIAB and the styles, until I got good software synths and modules. What a difference it makes.

What I've been doing with my own kinda goes like this:

As I modify the instrument and mixer / effect settings, I also find a good set of multipads to go along with the styles. For some styles that might be an 8 beat ac guitar set, for others perhaps a 16th cut electric or 16 beat funk, for others maybe one of the piano pads. Then I save all of this to the registration, for recall.

If you get the right set of pads for a style, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how much adding one repeating pad part fills the style up ( if you wanted to do that in the first place ).

The T2 doesn't have many AC piano pads, so two of my first 3 user multipad sets are AC piano phrases. The first came from my Motif ES arps and the second from my own realtime playing. Not that this board didn't sound great right out of the box, but it's already becoming a much different animal now as I add this stuff.. and I'm loving that part of it as well.

The nice thing is that what I can do with the T2 will work on any of the more recent Yamaha arrangers. The OS resembles the one from the PSR2000 so much that I haven't needed the manual for anything other than looking at the way some of the midi data is setup.

For now I'm only going to modify the styles from within using the registrations. I could actually redo the voices and mixer settings for the styles permanently by modifying them in OMB, but it would be rather time consuming compared to just saving registrations. I'd rather split my time between actually playing the T2 and making some new multipads for it.

Regards,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-26-2006).]

#211827 - 08/26/06 06:17 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
AJ: Let me add my thanks as well.

Just wondering if the styles you have now made availabe makes up everything from BIAB sets 0 thru 58 or were you more selective?

#211828 - 08/26/06 06:28 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

I did most of everything from 1-58 Robert.. Close to 90% maybe better, is what I would guess, ( there were a few I just don't care for at all ). I also added a few of the better user styles that I've gathered up over the years, including a couple of my own.

AJ

#211829 - 08/26/06 11:52 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Just wanted to say thanks as well.

These are good building blocks for new and alternative styles. I also tend to mute parts of some of the busier Yamaha styles so some of hese don't really need a lot to add.

Regards - KF

#211830 - 08/27/06 08:01 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
fordtaurus Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks!

It's gonna take a while to test on my floppy equiped PSR2000

#211831 - 08/27/06 08:44 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
MrEd Offline

AJ,
Nice work, its appreciated, and thanks for bringing up the multipads.
It adds that extra pinch of flavor nicely.

I wish that the individual Yam multipads would act like toggle switches.
Instead, you have to cancel all pads that have been switched on by pressing the multipad 'stop' button.

Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 pads active, find that its a little too much, but have to end up canceling all.

Minor bummer though.

#211832 - 08/27/06 08:55 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd:
[B]AJ,
Nice work, its appreciated, and thanks for bringing up the multipads. It adds that extra pinch of flavor nicely.
I wish that the individual Yam multipads would act like toggle switches.
Instead, you have to cancel all pads that have been switched on by pressing the multipad 'stop' button.
Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 pads active, find that its a little too much, but have to end up canceling all.

Mr ED on the T2 you don't have to press stop to cancel every multipad, then trigger the ones you need again.
If you have all 4 multipads in use and you want to stop for example no's 2 and 3 leaving 1 and 4 playing, just press and keep held down the stop button, then press 2 and 3 and release the stop button.
Hope that helps if that's why you were wanting the multipads to do.

#211833 - 08/27/06 09:00 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
MrEd Offline

T42
Thanks for that information.
I'm adding it to my list of 'pros' for the T2.

When (or if) the time comes for me to change boards, it helps.

#211834 - 08/27/06 09:15 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Good point T42. I'm getting used to doing that in real time.

Two of the main factors that ultimately led me to decide on the T2 when I demoed it vs the PA1x and G70 were the multipads and the add on software made available by Michael P Bedesem, Jos Maas, and Jorgen Sorenson.

I've seen it said many times before, that one of the great things about owning a Yamaha arranger is all of the aftermarket stuff available. These guys "lead the league" in assists.

Michael's addition of the "Auto Band in a Box" conversion feature in his stylemaker saved me many of hours of work.

I've gone through a lot of the 800+ styles I converted. Some aren't particularly good, and there may be a couple of duplicates, but in the end, I think at least half of them, maybe more, are very useable, and among them are some that are quite good. What makes me particularly happy is that many of the Jazz, Modern Jazz / Fusion, Shuffle / Blues, and Electronica styles work very well, and add a lot of variety for me. Tweaking them via registration memories takes me very little time at all.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-27-2006).]

#211835 - 08/27/06 11:09 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bluezplayer,
Technology gets to me some times, I’m trying to catch up.

I open the page and saw your file, but how do I open it up? (download it)

John C.

#211836 - 08/27/06 02:11 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

John

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I went to the site and it says " The file you requested is temporarily unavailable ".

I put it up at yousendit as well. Here is the link:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?ac...layer@Yahoo.com

Just click where it asks you to download the file ( No login necessary )

The file is also available in the file section at the Yahoo Group "Making Styles".

AJ

#211837 - 08/27/06 02:35 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ,
I must admit , multipads is a feature I really miss having had the function for many years on the Technics keyboards.
My SD1 unfortunately doesn't have them.

I had started putting together a bunch of piano phrases ( & others) so that I could create multipads for the kn. Unfortunately never got round to it & KN long gone.

Actually I miss them so much I'm getting a new psr. Not quite sure if it'll be a
Tyros 2 or a psr3000. But it's time for a new keyboard. haa haa.

Hopefully I'll have one in a week or 2 .
Just about got my soundfonts to where I want them, then I can can concentrate on my
Style phrase library again.

I may be able to help with some phrases or maybe even multipads.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]

The T2 doesn't have many AC piano pads, so two of my first 3 user multipad sets are AC piano phrases.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#211838 - 08/27/06 02:54 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
have a question on psr multipads ( from memory the worked a bit differently to some of the kn ones)
can you actually record a complete drum pattern on a single pad ie snare, hihat, bass drum etc or only individual drum instruments??

AJ, did you use one of Michael's programs to create the multipad? I remember checking into it years back when I owned a 9000pro, but the memory's getting worse as the years march on haa haa.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#211839 - 08/27/06 03:25 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Rikki,

While I've yet to make a drum pattern multipad, it is possible to do. The multipads are simply midifiles that send the KB special messages on whether to play continuously or as one shots, and whether to follow chord changes or not.

Except for actually creating multipads inside of my arranger itself, I've never used anything else other than a regular sequencer ( Sonar / XG works ) to create them. I use one 4 channel sequence to create a multipad set. Midi channel 1 corresponds to Pad #1, Channel 2 for Pad #2, etc. I simply save my work as a type 1 midifile, and then change the extension from .mid to .PAD . Once I introduce the pad into the T2, I then need to bring it into the pad creator if I want to change the settings to have it loop continuously and / or follow chord changes.

The alternative to this is to start out with a premade pad file that already responds the way you want it to ( loops / follow chords ), rename it to a .mid file, and open it in your sequencer. BTW, it is not necessary to change the extension in XGworks, as it opens PAD files. Then you can simply clear out the note data on channels 1-4 and insert your own. A while back I think Michael provided some blank .PAD tremplates that already had the loop and chord follow commands inserted.

For multipad phrases that repeat / loop continuosly, the most important thing to remember is to make certain that your phrases are exactly one measure ( bar ) in length, or a multiple thereof, and that the first bit of data starts right at the beginning of the first measure, ( a program change insert will do fine if you don't want your first note to sound right at the beginning of the phrase ) and that the sequence itself ends right at the end of the last measure. Otherwise the multipad phrases will quickly go out of sync with the style they are being used with, or, for mulktiple measure phrases, if the last piece of a note or other data goes past the end of a measure and even slightly into a new measure, you'll wind up with an entire measure that plays silently.

Also it's necessary to insert program / bank changes for each channel, along with any other settings you'll want ( reverb / chorus for example ).

AJ

#211840 - 08/27/06 08:41 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks AJ,
apart from the musical side of it, the technical part doesn't sound all that difficult. I'll have to familiarize myself with xg works again, been a while since I used it.
Thanks for all the info.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#211841 - 08/28/06 01:51 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
AJ, thanks, they downloaded and I’m off.
Nice of you to share.

John C.

#211842 - 08/28/06 01:56 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

A short primer to Multi Pad programming is found at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/multipad2.htm

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#211843 - 08/28/06 04:55 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
With the multipads since they basically record what you play in real time with any of the sounds on the T2, you could load a few drum samples/loops (WAV's) into the TVN custom voices, use these sampled drum sounds for the multipads and set them repeating. With all 4 pads going at once you could create some very realistic drum patterns, or have drum loops on pad 1 and 2 and bass runs assigned to 3 and 4. The multipads are far more usefull and powerfull than some people realise.

#211844 - 08/28/06 02:32 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Jorgen,
you're always so helpfull.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jørgen Sørensen:
[B]Hi

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#211845 - 08/28/06 02:41 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi T42,
as I don't own a T2, I don't know how sample functions etc work in it, but are you saying a wav drum loop will stay in sync with the rest of the pads, or do you mean midi drum loops using sampled drums?

My sd1 wav drum loops will sync to style ( or midifile)

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by T42:
With the multipads since they basically record what you play in real time with any of the sounds on the T2, you could load a few drum samples/loops (WAV's) into the TVN custom voices, use these sampled drum sounds for the multipads and set them repeating. With all 4 pads going at once you could create some very realistic drum patterns, or have drum loops on pad 1 and 2 and bass runs assigned to 3 and 4. The multipads are far more usefull and powerfull than some people realise.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online