SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211826 - 08/26/06 06:10 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
You're welcome guys. I enjoy being able to do this stuff.

As Michael mentioned, these BIAB styles are perhaps a bit less detailed compared to the onboard styles. I actually never thought that much of BIAB and the styles, until I got good software synths and modules. What a difference it makes.

What I've been doing with my own kinda goes like this:

As I modify the instrument and mixer / effect settings, I also find a good set of multipads to go along with the styles. For some styles that might be an 8 beat ac guitar set, for others perhaps a 16th cut electric or 16 beat funk, for others maybe one of the piano pads. Then I save all of this to the registration, for recall.

If you get the right set of pads for a style, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how much adding one repeating pad part fills the style up ( if you wanted to do that in the first place ).

The T2 doesn't have many AC piano pads, so two of my first 3 user multipad sets are AC piano phrases. The first came from my Motif ES arps and the second from my own realtime playing. Not that this board didn't sound great right out of the box, but it's already becoming a much different animal now as I add this stuff.. and I'm loving that part of it as well.

The nice thing is that what I can do with the T2 will work on any of the more recent Yamaha arrangers. The OS resembles the one from the PSR2000 so much that I haven't needed the manual for anything other than looking at the way some of the midi data is setup.

For now I'm only going to modify the styles from within using the registrations. I could actually redo the voices and mixer settings for the styles permanently by modifying them in OMB, but it would be rather time consuming compared to just saving registrations. I'd rather split my time between actually playing the T2 and making some new multipads for it.

Regards,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-26-2006).]

#211827 - 08/26/06 06:17 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
AJ: Let me add my thanks as well.

Just wondering if the styles you have now made availabe makes up everything from BIAB sets 0 thru 58 or were you more selective?

#211828 - 08/26/06 06:28 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

I did most of everything from 1-58 Robert.. Close to 90% maybe better, is what I would guess, ( there were a few I just don't care for at all ). I also added a few of the better user styles that I've gathered up over the years, including a couple of my own.

AJ

#211829 - 08/26/06 11:52 PM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Just wanted to say thanks as well.

These are good building blocks for new and alternative styles. I also tend to mute parts of some of the busier Yamaha styles so some of hese don't really need a lot to add.

Regards - KF

#211830 - 08/27/06 08:01 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
fordtaurus Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks!

It's gonna take a while to test on my floppy equiped PSR2000

#211831 - 08/27/06 08:44 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
MrEd Offline

AJ,
Nice work, its appreciated, and thanks for bringing up the multipads.
It adds that extra pinch of flavor nicely.

I wish that the individual Yam multipads would act like toggle switches.
Instead, you have to cancel all pads that have been switched on by pressing the multipad 'stop' button.

Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 pads active, find that its a little too much, but have to end up canceling all.

Minor bummer though.

#211832 - 08/27/06 08:55 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd:
[B]AJ,
Nice work, its appreciated, and thanks for bringing up the multipads. It adds that extra pinch of flavor nicely.
I wish that the individual Yam multipads would act like toggle switches.
Instead, you have to cancel all pads that have been switched on by pressing the multipad 'stop' button.
Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 pads active, find that its a little too much, but have to end up canceling all.

Mr ED on the T2 you don't have to press stop to cancel every multipad, then trigger the ones you need again.
If you have all 4 multipads in use and you want to stop for example no's 2 and 3 leaving 1 and 4 playing, just press and keep held down the stop button, then press 2 and 3 and release the stop button.
Hope that helps if that's why you were wanting the multipads to do.

#211833 - 08/27/06 09:00 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
MrEd Offline

T42
Thanks for that information.
I'm adding it to my list of 'pros' for the T2.

When (or if) the time comes for me to change boards, it helps.

#211834 - 08/27/06 09:15 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Good point T42. I'm getting used to doing that in real time.

Two of the main factors that ultimately led me to decide on the T2 when I demoed it vs the PA1x and G70 were the multipads and the add on software made available by Michael P Bedesem, Jos Maas, and Jorgen Sorenson.

I've seen it said many times before, that one of the great things about owning a Yamaha arranger is all of the aftermarket stuff available. These guys "lead the league" in assists.

Michael's addition of the "Auto Band in a Box" conversion feature in his stylemaker saved me many of hours of work.

I've gone through a lot of the 800+ styles I converted. Some aren't particularly good, and there may be a couple of duplicates, but in the end, I think at least half of them, maybe more, are very useable, and among them are some that are quite good. What makes me particularly happy is that many of the Jazz, Modern Jazz / Fusion, Shuffle / Blues, and Electronica styles work very well, and add a lot of variety for me. Tweaking them via registration memories takes me very little time at all.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-27-2006).]

#211835 - 08/27/06 11:09 AM Re: 142 More BIAB styles
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bluezplayer,
Technology gets to me some times, I’m trying to catch up.

I open the page and saw your file, but how do I open it up? (download it)

John C.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online