SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#211575 - 09/04/07 03:59 PM Re: Master Class
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Segueing from one song (aka: medley) to another often utilizing the SAME style, employing an interesting or unusual chord progression "turn around" to modulate to the target key of the next song. Audiences enjoy an element of surprise of being subtlety transitioned (evolved/morphed) from one song to another, sometimes not realizing it happened right away, and then perhaps being taken back to the first song showcased. - Scott

#211576 - 09/04/07 04:08 PM Re: Master Class
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, folks...good topic, Dave (and, thanks for the call-it was a BIG help!).

I, too, shut off all arranger functions for 4-6 tunes a job and just play piano. I also play about 40% with just left-handed bass and drums from the arranger.

I also use a nylon string guitar, a steel string acoustic double 6-12 and a Kydd portable upright.

I play bossas on The nylon, vocal accompanyment on the 6-12 and bass solos on the Kydd. I do this, first for variety and second, so I can justify taking depreciation on the stringed instruments.

On some jobs, I use vibes, and take solos. The extra guitars and vibes are mostly for effect, and don't work for shorter (less lucrative) OMB jobs, although I sometimes use the extra strings, along with extra keys on house jobs. I change out instruments every few weeks to keep things interesting.

Works for me..

R.

#211577 - 09/04/07 04:41 PM Re: Master Class
Scottyee Offline

Whenever possible, add another instrumentalist and/or singer. Two talented musician-singers on stage typically brings the level up more than a few notches in 'more ways' than one. The spontaneous musical interaction between musicians playing off one another, as well as an eye catchingly attractive vocalist on stage certainly presents an added plus.

Scott

#211578 - 09/04/07 04:45 PM Re: Master Class
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Zuki......go to the back of the class

Class reply UD - thanks

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#211579 - 09/04/07 05:13 PM Re: Master Class
Scottyee Offline

Adding drum and/or multi-pad fills at different spots during a song brings added live realism to the auto-accompaniment parts. I like to assign these functions to remote foot pedal controller activation, keeping both my hands simultaneously dedicated to playing the keyboard. - Scott

#211580 - 09/04/07 05:32 PM Re: Master Class
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I use two pedals when playing

Pedal assignments vary based upon several factors: the genre, the main lead instrument and what I want to attain vocally.

For instance:
Pedal one is most often used for sustain. When appropriate I assign it to glide for particular instruments (guitar, strings, sax.)

Pedal two is usually assigned to trigger a "break" or "fill to self" for a drum riff...but on other occasions it is most often used to trigger the harmonizer.

Since I use one registration bank per song, pedal assignments will often change from one registration to another within the same bank.

Eddie

#211581 - 09/04/07 05:39 PM Re: Master Class
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Maybe AFTER you have a few more Ketron demos on your site, you can go back to badgering us for more of OUR demos, Donny...

How long you had that Ketron now?

Me, I'll take all the written suggestions I can get (Thank you, Ian!). At least that way I can get some useful information without a format war breaking out...

Im done asking and done posting demos....
I'm having a good time sitting back & just watching the fireworks day after day.

#211582 - 09/05/07 11:23 AM Re: Master Class
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
If I may teach, I have a question:
Has anyone midi'd a portable/remote controller, like an AX-7 or keytar, to their keyboards? Are there any strap-on controllers that are midi-wireless like the Limex system?
Ciao,
Jerry

#211583 - 09/06/07 04:33 AM Re: Master Class
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
One thing I always do with my Yamaha arrangers is drop a small amount of white Tipex in the little hole of the volume knob to make it easier to see where it is on dark stages...not a playing tip but a usefull one all the same.

NJH

#211584 - 09/06/07 04:35 AM Re: Master Class
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've done that too ! Small thing, but a great idea!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online