SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211531 - 10/07/02 06:54 PM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
Dnj Offline

Scott,
these little babies are great and versatile....
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/INDEX2.HTM

Features of the Galaxy Audio PA5X140 powered Hot Spot:
Class H amplifier. SMARTALIC gain management. 100w @ 8ohms (typically 146w @ 4ohms). Frequency Response: 200Hz-20kHz. Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.06 @ 8ohms,<0.1 @ 4ohms. EQ: Three band, center detent controls. Input connections (with individual volume controls): One balanced 1/4", One balanced XLR(with +24 VDC phantom power). Output connections: One 1/4" speaker level, One (post EQ, post level) RCA line out. Indicator LED's: Power,Compressor-Limiter. One 5" driver with 40 oz. magnet structure. Sensitivity: 98dB @ 1w/1 meter. Fire retardant styrene with cast aluminum grille. Built in mic stand mount. UL listed. 6.75" x 10.94" x 6" (171mm x 278mm x 152mm). 12.5lbs. (5.7 kg).

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2002).]

#211532 - 10/08/02 05:36 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
DNJ,
How do I order these..the web site is for dealers. And how much?? Thanks B2

#211533 - 10/08/02 06:18 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Regarding the PA5X140 by Galaxy Audio - I have a pair that I use infrequently. They sound terrible: way too much midrange that is nearly uncontrollable. I use them when I have guest vocalists because they are easy to setup and they are LOUD. You can plug a mic straight into the PA5X140 and then into the mixer so the singer gets their own monitor totally... but I wouldn't wish them on anyone on a regular basis. Try before you buy.

#211534 - 10/08/02 06:20 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Brian,
I've had a few of them and they are great. I also sold at least 3 in the last year or so. Guys love 'em. They run about $300,last I checked.

#211535 - 10/08/02 07:00 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
Dnj Offline

Pro/Dave,.......soooooooo which is it,do they sound Good or do they Suck? Hmmmmm?

#211536 - 10/08/02 07:08 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
My purpose is to monitor my keyboard and vocals during the dinner hour set. I might just place the speakers behind me and angle them across the room so I'm in the "bow wave", therefore I won't need a monitor. But I'd prefer one...you think a near field monitor on a stand near the keyboard would be better? Brian

#211537 - 10/08/02 07:30 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I agree that the little Core Systems monitor has too much midrange by default, but that's a good thing for vocal monitoring. The human voice is mostly midrange anyway. Monitors that produce too much highs or lows are prone to feedback. I still wound up cutting the mids almost all the way to make a sound I liked. One thing for sure ....They are loud.

#211538 - 10/08/02 07:31 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I'm in a "sit-down" situation (an extended engagement where I don't have to set up and break down every night), I often use two Galaxy Hotspot monitors. The high end is terrific. If you position youself beside the mains, you will hear enough bass from them, since the bass is not that directional.
I run stereo almost always. I usually just chain the Hotspots off the back of my mains, so different amp and e.q. is not needed.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 10-08-2002).]

#211539 - 10/08/02 07:43 AM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
DNJ: UD didn't say they sound great, and I already said what I think about their sound. They might be "great" for certain applications, but that midrange is overwhelming (I've used the mid tone control to get rid of as much of it as I could and they still sounded like crap). They are light and fit on a mic stand so you really can have in-your-face-monitoring that singers always love no matter the sound quality, but I've tried them as keyboard monitors and I honestly think they suck out loud for that, no offense meant to anyone who owns them.

At home for practice I use a pair of powered Yamaha MS202II as seen here: http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPWS00008MS202II

They are only 20 watts each, which is far less than the Galaxy Audio powered speakers, but they sound excellent with keyboards. Yamaha makes both mic stand and speciality stands for these speakers so if you're looking for a good quality internal-keyboard-speaker substitute, this would get my nod.

Otherwise, for a little more than the price of the Galaxy monitors you could get JBL G2 10" EON's, which are great as keyboard monitors and/or mains.

#211540 - 10/09/02 04:31 PM Re: Solution to Arr Keyboard w/o built in speakers ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to everyone here for their insights and valuable contributions to finding a speaker alternative to the TRS-MS01 specifically designed by Yamaha for the Tyros.

After finding out the actual size/weight of the Tyros speaker system and how they attach to the kb, and then giving this subject more thought, I've come to the conclusion that the Tyros total weight including its speakers is 40 lbs, and 10 lbs lighter than the PSR9000 (50 lbs).

I'd much prefer lifting 2 much lighter units separately (Tyros KB: 27 lbs, and speaker bag: approx 13 lbs), rather than dealing with lifting a single bulky sized 50 lb keyboard. I'd estimate Tyros speaker setup time would only take a matter of seconds, especially if you permanently attach the satellite speaker mounts to the KB. Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online