SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211294 - 02/03/02 02:07 PM Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
With the recent news that Yamaha is foregoing PSR2000 software downloadable FlashROM OS support and instead requiring owners to take their keyboards into a repair shop for OS upgrades, I thought it a good time to find out exactly what features (bug fixes) the current replacement chip(s), OS 1.02 (main program), will include. As far as I know, it only includes:

1) Registration Memory: supports saving 'fingering type' selection
2) Registration Memory Contents: Change storage of Left Voice setting from 'style' to 'voice' checkbox.

Are the above 2 bug fixes worth the inconvenience of possibly being without your KB for days (perhaps weeks!)? This will be a tough decision for me. I primarily play in split keyboard mode, so Registration Memory support for saving 'fingering type' isn't critical to me, though I definitely see the merits of being able switch fingering modes within a song ei: starting a song in regular 'fingered mode' and switching to 'full keyboard' during the piano solo. I would probably use the feature this way myself, but unfortunately the PSR2000 doesn't recognize chords very well (when soloing) in 'full keyboard' mode. I only wished that Yamaha would have included better 'full keyboard mode' chord recognition in the chip update. Yamaha's decision to move the Registration Memory 'contents': Left voice from 'style' to 'voice' area (checkbox) essentially allows you now to easily store the voices ONLY (can now select voices checkbox only) in Registration Memory, and then freely select any/all styles using voices (main, layer, left) saved in Registration Memory. This really is a cool feature because it allows you to store various voice (instrument) setups such as: Country, Techno, Pop, Jazz, etc, and pull them up quickly to be used with MANY MANY styles.You can easily customize new OTS settings for a style if you like from these Registsrations as well. In spite of earlier OS versions not supporting this, I was able to figure out a work around solution to the problem of not being able to save left part with the Reg Memory Content's voice parameter (checkbox). This involves creating a style called 'blank' and then deleting it from user memory. This is only a partial solution though because when you turn the freeze button off, and switch reg memory buttons, the style will automatically revert back to variation A. Hopefully the new OS update included in OS 1.02 eliminates this problem. Perhaps Carlos, Linda, or another PSR2000 owner who has OS 1.02 (main program) can report back their findings.

Will I sacrifice my PSR2000 to a repair shop for a week to gain the above fixes? hmmm . . . good question. I'm really not sure yet. Interested to hear if any other bug fixes or new features are included in OS 1.02 (main program). Also wondering if Yamaha will be coming out with subsequent eprom chip (?!) updates to correct other reported problems (vocalizer speedy mouse/karaoke girl issue reported by Don Mason, support in Registration Memory of: intro/ending variation settings, and vocalizer type selection & mic settings etc. Who is going to take their PSR2000 in for an OS 1.02 update chip replacement?! Step right up.

Superbowl time . . . bring out the chips!

- Scott

#211295 - 02/03/02 02:48 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I will certainly take mine if necessary. I have a PSR8000 sitting here for backup.
I also know the repair guy very well, and he will let me bring it to him when he is ready to work on it. I will probably get it back the same day or next day.
DonM

#211296 - 02/03/02 08:25 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Beakybird Offline

One question that I have is about the left voice function. I like being able to freeze the left voice when I change OTS. Will I still be able to do this with the chip upgrade?

I am still so bummed out that Yamaha would do that. It's so disrespectful and deceptive. Well, I guess they're paying for it in the end, because it's going to be a lot more expensive for them to pay a repair center to change chips than it would have been to put in flash memory in the first place. They are going to lose customers for sure too. Two years from now, when I'm ready to buy my next arranger, I'm going to lean toward something non-Yamaha.

Larry

#211297 - 02/03/02 08:27 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What I REALLY need is for the 2k to remember my vocal settings. Harmony AND effects. If I can get THAT, then I'll be happy for a while longer. The fingering modes is a smaller issure for me, but the vocal settings NEED to be remembered.

#211298 - 02/03/02 08:36 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
DonM Offline

Dave, my mic settings are all remembered on bootup. The harmony and effects settings are remember by Registration.
DonM

#211299 - 02/03/02 08:53 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey ! How do I get mine to do that? Did you set it up any particular way to engage this ?
My registrations don't remember vocal harmony choices either. I have to make a ton of changes before I start each show, but then they stay put all night.
What am I doing wrong ?

#211300 - 02/03/02 10:02 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
DonM Offline

I'll check all my settings. I don't think I did anything in particular.
Don

#211301 - 02/03/02 11:25 PM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
DonM Offline

My Parameter Lock settings:
Split Point, Master EQ, and Reverb Type are checked. All others unchecked.
Registration Memory Contents:
Tune Transpose, Scale and Song are unchecked, all others checked.
I save all my "power up" options, including effects, into a Registration. I do have various Vocal Harmony settings saved in different registrations, and they are called up as expected.
My Mic Settings are remembered when I turn on the keyboard, even before selecting the registration.
DonM

#211302 - 02/04/02 12:34 AM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Uncle Dave Offline

Thanx Don,
I'll take a look and see where my settings are tomorrow.

#211303 - 02/04/02 12:58 AM Re: Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Is the PSR2000 OS chip Upgrade worth the trouble?
---------------------

Scott, you'll never know, if this chips containing
any information who will be needed for further
upgrades, i.e. flashables, it is probably worth it.
Maybe it's worth it anyway, because would Yamaha
release any new if not nessesary?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online