SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#211154 - 08/23/04 02:58 PM Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Beakybird Offline

I purchased two of these to replace my Motion Sound KP-100S.

Basic specs:

Power: 100 watts
Weight: 23 lbs.
Dimensions: 10" x 11" x 17"
Dynamic range: 55hz - 20,000khz
Speakers: 8" woofer, 1" tweeter
Inputs: 3 1/4", 1 xlr
Outputs: one 1/4"
Tone control: 2 band eq
Price: $369

These are the smallest molded powered speakers made.

They compare most closely with the JBL Eon10 G2 which weighs the same, gives 175 watts of power, is a little larger, has a slightly smaller dynamic range: 60hz - 18,000khz, and costs more - $550 apiece.

I bought two of these with expensive Yamaha poles from Emusicgear.com for $648 including shipping - one of the two speakers was a mint customer return.

Each speaker can put out about 30% more volume than the Motion Sound KP-100S. Together, they go much much louder. They go pretty loud, but I wouldn't use them for a discotech.

They sound better than the Motion Sound KP-100S in my opinion. The bass specs are inferior or the Yamaha, but to my ears, the bass is deeper on the MSR100. You can get real stereo separation instead of virtual stereo separation. Of course, one 43 lb. stereo speaker is lighter than two 23 lb. speakers, but not by much.

One disadvantage of the MSR100 compared to the Eon10 G2, is that Yamaha never designed a gig bag for the speaker. If you go with this speaker, I highly recommend studioslips.com who sell a bag for $55 plus shipping, and for a little extra will custom make you just what you want.

I got a pair of right-angle 1/4" cables and a pair of right-angle power cables, and with my gig bag setup, I just need to place the speakers on chairs or tables, unzip the front of the bag revealing the speakers, pull out the cables, plug them in and start performing. For classier or bigger gigs, I can mount the speakers on poles.

I am so happy with this setup, because it is just about as easy as setting up the Motion Sound KP-100S, but with much much more power. I don't have to worry about my voice distorting at shows with 80-120 people.

As a nursing/retirement home entertainer, I can use these speakers for virtually all of my gigs. Not too big or bulky for the small gigs, and not too underpowered for my larger gigs.

I highly recommend these speakers if you do the kind of venues that I do.

Beakybird

#211155 - 08/23/04 03:30 PM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Dnj Offline

Larry....Good luck with your new speakers, I'm sure you & your audience will love them.....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-24-2004).]

#211156 - 08/24/04 11:13 AM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Beakybird Offline

I will work on some MP3s when my Mexican wife and daughter go to Mexico for two weeks, leaving me all alone.

I'm having a lot of fun with my PSR3000s, and I'm so happy I finally have adequate amplification for my gigs.

Beakybird

#211157 - 08/24/04 12:15 PM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I will work on some MP3s when my Mexican wife and daughter go to Mexico for two weeks, leaving me all alone.

Sounds great I'll be here awaiting to hear them for sure Thanx!!

#211158 - 08/29/04 08:31 AM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Beakybird Offline

Last night, I played at my place of worship, and they had set up JBL Eon10 G2s. There were two speakers, they were set up mono unfortunately.

I listened, just for sound quality, and they sound very good - very similar to the MSR100s. I think I liked the MSR100s a bit more as far as dynamic range, but then again, I was playing in mono.

I looked at the speaker itself to compare it to the MSR100. It is bigger, but the same weight.

I noticed two differences, one a plus and the other a minus.

The plus is that the JBLs have a hole ready to receive a speaker pole. All you have to do is put the speaker on the pole and tighten a key. With the Yamaha, you have to take an extra cumbersome step. You have to screw a plate with a hole onto the speaker. The speaker has two screw holes with two short, wide screws. With an cordless screwdriver kept in the speaker pole bag, you can screw on the plates in about 3 minutes. This will add a little bit of time to one's setup and takedown.

I also noticed how oddly shaped the Eon10s are. The Yamaha MSR100s are rather rectangular and very easy to stack. It must be difficult to stack the JBLs. I'm able to carry all my gear on a luggage cart.

My keyboard goes first (with headset mic inside), then the stand, then the two speakers, and that's it. If I need poles, I carry them on my shoulder. I don't think I would have that portability with the JBLs.

I think that sound quality aside (and they probably both sound as good), the MSR100s are better if you do a lot of smaller gigs that don't require setting up the speakers on poles. They're smaller and more portable.

The JBLs are better if you do a lot of larger gigs performing with poles. They're more powerful, and they are quicker to mount.

Beakybird

#211159 - 08/30/04 12:24 AM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
I've listen both but my vote goes for eon 10s for smoother highs (though yam looks better on paper-so do some behringers).
eons are also well proven for road +good watt/weight ratio for a MI grade powered speaker,much louder than yam but ofcourse more expensive+if you play larger gigs with your band it's also a good monitor with enough volume for your KB rig.
but some like Yam,some like JBLs,some like YKs so it's all personal choice so enjoy your 3k and yam.

#211160 - 08/30/04 11:19 AM Re: Elated with new Yamaha MSR100s
Beakybird Offline

I noticed that when comparing them A/B to my Motion Sound KP-100S, that the highs weren't as prominent as I would like. After adjusting the treble on the eq, I was very happy with the sound.

I think the sound quality is the same as the Eon10.

Sound quality apart, the Eon10 has these advantages:

1. Much more powerful 175 watts
2. Easier to mount on poles

The MSR100 has these advantages:

1. Two band eq
2. Three inputs with separate volume controls
3. More compact
4. Easier to stack
5. Less expensive

Beakybird

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online