SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#211036 - 12/01/04 06:39 PM New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Open Labs just released a new version of the Neko called the LE and is only $2595.00

Starting to pick-up some momentum with endorsements and finally some demo's
http://www.openlabs.com/products/product_info-nekoLE.htm#

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#211037 - 12/01/04 09:18 PM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
The price seems right until you read the details - this does not include the LCD, which costs a very steep $600 for a 15" display.

Also not clear which if any audio applications are included. This is hardly a bargain if you have to spend another $800 for an audio application.

And then there is an issue of the arranger capabilities. There are several software apps which let you play auto-accompaniment, but unless they can be operated by pushing buttons to trigger fills/variations/etc., and make selections, without having to use much derided touchscreen or a mouse, they would be useless to a live performer.

#211038 - 12/01/04 11:56 PM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The demos that are on the web site are taken from the neKo 64 which is the top of the line model and costs thousands of dollars more than the LE version.

Kind of like false advertising if you ask me. They are putting up demos but they're not from the Board in question, i.e. the neKo LE.

Will the LE sound exactly the same as the neKo 64? I would tend to think not just as the PSR 3000 is not in the same league as the Tyros price wise or sound wise either IMO.

But beyond all of that, Alex brings up some very good points also.

If it can't be utilized effectively in a Live environment it really is limited in its usefulness. At least to gigging musicians anyway.

And only 61 KEYS! Even the top of the line neKo 64!! NO 76 or 88 Key version??? What were they thinking!?!?!

Best regards,
Mike

#211039 - 12/02/04 01:06 AM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
Roel Offline

The demo's are not impressing at all.
Only the piano sound ok, but the rest could come from a midrange keyboard.

The design : Yikes ! (Frankenstein creation?)

No... not for me.

btw anyone here that has heard/seen the Mediastation Lionstracs ?

#211040 - 12/02/04 04:53 AM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm not an expert in this area, but you have to realize the sounds are immaterial. The Neko is just One big Software Synthesizer. Meaning you can purchase your own samples, pianos, Orchestras, etc. and load them up in the included sampler and play them live on stage.

The cost of the LE version is lower because it only includes two control surfaces. Your right, you have to purchase more control surfaces and the LCD to approach the funcionality of the Neko 64. But this is why it's so attractive; it scalable to your budget!!! It comes with the same sounds and software as the Neko 64 ( i think ).

I am not defending this equipment, but I am certainly trying to maintain an open mind as to the possibilities here as an alternative.

Many musicians have moved away from hardware based workstations to computer based setups and this is the best of both worlds.

I guess I'm sort of rooting for this to be a success since Software based synths outperform hardware based synths due to the Huge processing and memory capacity of Personal Computers when compared to the close-ended processors in the hardware synths.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 12-02-2004).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#211041 - 12/02/04 05:20 AM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I've been watching this too. Even if you add the $600 touch screen (not much fun without it) then the nEko LE is priced about the same as many pro workstations. Yes it comes with a lot of softsynths but not the top-of-the-line brands - I believe the ones you can get yourself will be better. I've started my own softsynth collection anyway and softsynth studios like the new Reason 3.0 will be especially cool on the nEko. The LE model can be upgraded all the way to a top-of-the-line model if desired so it's nice to have that kind of flexibility to grow.

The whole soft-arranger thing is a great idea but it's not a deal-breaker for the nEko LE... in fact, it's entirely dependent on whether programs like OMB continue to evolve. That great thing about the nEko is that it's the one instrument that can be exactly what the player wants it to be, within the context of the software that is installed on it.

Having an "entry-level" nEko is what Open Labs needed to do to get performers interested in their products... it's a very good idea, and especially appealing to those of us who are tired of the same old thing from Y/K/R. But as Mike said, they really need to offer larger keyboard sizes - my guess is they will soon because the nEko chassis looks like it's large enough to take a 76-note keyboard already.

#211042 - 12/02/04 07:28 AM Re: New Neko LE gaining MO only 2595!!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I 3rd the opinion by Alex that this is NOT an arranger and not designed that way. It was designed for software synth musicians. The buttons might be able to be configured to trigger fills/variation/etc., but not out of the box. I was unsuccessfull in configuring a decent software based arranger (haven't given up yet). The software arrangers trigger fills through MIDI data or through computer keyboard keys. Hardware arrangers handle the buttons, I assume, through interrupts, not MIDI data. The Neko may not be able to be configured to operate as an arranger.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 12-02-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online