SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211025 - 09/13/07 02:15 AM Joe Zawinul passes away
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Registered: 06/01/98
Posts: 6474
Loc: Ventura CA USA
The world has lost legendary jazz keyboardist and synthesizer pioneer Joe Zawinul who played with Miles
Davis and Weather Report.


[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-13-2007).]

Top
#211026 - 09/13/07 07:00 AM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
tony mads usa Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/16/02
Posts: 14375
Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
That is sad news ...
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy is taken to a higher level ....
t.
_________________________
t. cool

Top
#211027 - 09/13/07 07:53 AM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Stephenm52 Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 04/13/05
Posts: 5105
Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
That is sad news ...
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy is taken to a higher level ....
t.


Tony very well said!! May he RIP.

Top
#211028 - 09/13/07 02:52 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Diki Offline


Registered: 04/25/05
Posts: 13138
Loc: NW Florida
One of the alltime greats has passed on...

I saw the JZ Experience in New Orleans in 2000. The most challenging, innovative and LOUD act at the whole Jazzfest! Electrifying,,,

Sad news.
_________________________
An arranger is just a tool. What matters is what you build with it..!

Top
#211029 - 09/13/07 02:54 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Dnj Online   content
Senior Member

Registered: 09/21/00
Posts: 43636
Loc: USA
Sorry to hear this...a sad day indeed.

Top
#211030 - 09/13/07 05:19 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
tony mads usa Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/16/02
Posts: 14375
Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
One of the alltime greats has passed on...

I saw the JZ Experience in New Orleans in 2000. The most challenging, innovative and LOUD act at the whole Jazzfest! Electrifying,,,

Sad news.


Saw him in Newport RI a few years back ... GREAT show ...
t.
_________________________
t. cool

Top
#211031 - 09/13/07 05:45 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
ianmcnll Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 07/27/05
Posts: 10600
Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Joe will be missed...he was a clever synthesist...he used an inverted keyboard on his ARP and then on his Chroma...pretty cool.

Ian
_________________________
Yamaha Tyros4, Yamaha MS-60S Powered Monitors(2), Yamaha CS-01, Yamaha TQ-5, Yamaha PSR-S775.

Top
#211032 - 09/13/07 10:44 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Diki Offline


Registered: 04/25/05
Posts: 13138
Loc: NW Florida
I took the liberty of recording a quick live version of a reversioned (if I can call it that!) old song of Joe's...

It's based on 'A Remark You Made', from Heavy Weather.
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=444.new#new

It's not the whole tune, just a quick exploration and sad tribute (in many ways!) to one of my favorites. Done in one take, arranger mode (for the purists out there). Lot's of flubs and glitches, and simply improvised.

But I hope Joe don't mind...
_________________________
An arranger is just a tool. What matters is what you build with it..!

Top
#211033 - 09/13/07 10:58 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Registered: 06/01/98
Posts: 6474
Loc: Ventura CA USA
I saw Joe with Weather Report on the Heavy Weather tour back in the 70s in Australia. He had Jaco Pastorius, Wayne Shorter and Alex Acuna playing with him .... what an incredible band !!!!!!

Top
#211034 - 09/13/07 11:56 PM Re: Joe Zawinul passes away
Taike Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 03/28/02
Posts: 2731
Loc: Taiwan-Laos-China
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I took the liberty of recording a quick live version of a reversioned (if I can call it that!) old song of Joe's...

It's based on 'A Remark You Made', from Heavy Weather.
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=444.new#new

It's not the whole tune, just a quick exploration and sad tribute (in many ways!) to one of my favorites. Done in one take, arranger mode (for the purists out there). Lot's of flubs and glitches, and simply improvised.

But I hope Joe don't mind...


I sure didn't mind, Diki. Very refreshing to hear something different from the usual SZ repertoire.

Thx

Taike
_________________________
三人一条心,黄土变成金.

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 



Help keep Synth Zone Online