SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#210938 - 06/11/03 12:29 PM Re: What's a drum machine?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well actually it's a machine that produces drum sounds and patterns. The sounds you're playing are actual sampled sounds from a live kit. Some are so good on my MRT-3 that you can actually hear the the vibration of the snares under the drum. How the patterns are actually recorded is another thing... I would assume that the majority of them were step recorded into the unit using the internal sounds.. However I think some units ultilize live playing with the patterns, which gives them a nice natural flow to them..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#210939 - 06/11/03 12:49 PM Re: What's a drum machine?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I may be wrong on this, but I wonder if Starkeeper is confusing the'drum machine' squeak_D is talking about with the electronic drum sets some drummers use....
t.

#210940 - 06/11/03 01:03 PM Re: What's a drum machine?
squeak_D Offline

Yeah me too... Starkeeper, These are two different units here.. A drum machine is small desktop unit that you program by tapping pads with your fingers. An electronic drum kit is an actual drum kit. They are set up just like a drum kit. You play them with drum sticks and bass and hi hat pedals. Of course you'll need to amplify the sound, but what's great about those is that you can practice in silence.. If you don't want to disturb anyone you can plug headphones into the drum module of the kit. Electronic drum kits are awsome. The sampled sounds are great and playing surfaces are quite responsive.. Roland V sets have chokable cymbals. They work just like real cymbals too.. The sound actually changes as you move closer to the bell.. The drum heads are the same way.. The sound changes as you move from the inside to the outside of the head or pad.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-11-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#210941 - 06/11/03 01:45 PM Re: What's a drum machine?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
No. I think I got it. What I meant was, a MACHINE sounds like a device that creates drum sounds automatically (sort of like an arranger) and you tweak them some how, to create different patterns. So the musician is not really drumming.
The drum machine that Squeak owns, you actually drum in the patterns using fingers and your foot. An electronic drum kit you use exactly like acoustic drums, in which you use drum sticks.
Starkeeper

#210942 - 06/11/03 01:56 PM Re: What's a drum machine?
squeak_D Offline

Yup you got it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online