SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#210899 - 09/14/04 08:30 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Online   content

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott what's the big deal with the media bar?

IMO Windows Media Player is so much better.
It has an equalizer, SRS WOW Affects. The abilty to add to a playlist, and so much more.

By the way, what is different in WMP10 compared to WMP9.

Larry Hawk

Side Note:
I installed SP2 via the free CD from Microsoft. I could connect to the Internet, but I could not browse in IE6. (Page cannot be displayed). I called my ISP, they told me to remove SP2. I did, and IE6 Browser is working again.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#210900 - 09/14/04 09:04 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Scott what's the big deal with the media bar?

Hi Larry, the thing I appreciated about the IE media bar was that you actually view the Windows Media Player itself from within IE instead of having it appear in a separate (Window Media player) window and accidently get hidden from view when browsing on the internet. The Windows Media Player effects you mentioned were also easily available if you wanted to adjust them. The removal of Windows Media Player/IE integration feature is more of a minor convenience loss than anything else I suppose.

All my applications programs (including IE6) are working fine after installing SP2. Though I don't know for sure, I suspect your Internet Firewall security settings may have been changed following the SP2 upgrade, and that simply adjusting this may have corrected the problem.

Scott

#210901 - 09/20/04 10:53 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Alright people, I just received my XP service pack 2...So tell me..do I install it or not? Will it correct anything that I am not aware of being wrong with my OS? What will it fix?
I haven't opened the package yet...should I or not?

#210902 - 09/20/04 11:16 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Fran, since you're already running Windows XP manufactered by Microsoft, and it's Microsoft Corporation itself that is strongly advising ALL Windows XP users to install SP2, I say, go ahead.

Though the principal new features of SP2 are it's new advanced security features, Microsoft advised me that there are other essential XP improvements and bug fixes which neccessitate installing this upgrade as well. Though I personally prefer to use Norton Personal Firewall for my firewall protection, I still upgraded to SP2 to insure I have the latest XP enhancements & bug fixes. I've been running all my existing application programs (from Word, Excel, Photoshop, VideoStudio, Norton Systemworks, NAV, to all my music programs) without a single glitch.

Based on my experience with the upgrade, I'd say you're safe to go ahead. Afterall, it's Microsoft itself that's STRONGLY urging all XP users to install it. AFterall, would Bill lie to us?

Scott

#210903 - 09/20/04 02:52 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, I am going to give it a shot.

#210904 - 09/20/04 05:43 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Alright people, I just received my XP service pack 2...So tell me..do I install it or not? Will it correct anything that I am not aware of being wrong with my OS? What will it fix?
I haven't opened the package yet...should I or not?

If it ain't broke don't fix it....

While Scotty Yee says go ahead, I think you should be aware of some pitfalls you could possibly encounter Fran if you decide to install SP2 that have been reported not only by several well reputed computer 'experts', but also by many other 'computer users' who have been thrown for a loop after installing SP2. One prime example is Scott Yee with the Media Bar in IE that stopped working.

You just may want to wait a while to let Microsoft get a handle and fix all of the reported flaws in SP2 before you decide to upgrade Fran. Besides all of the reported software AND hardware conflicts that are being reported, there are also 'security' flaws that have been reported in SP2.

Please though, before you decide to install SP2, I would recommend you make a back up copy of your entire Registry and use the MS System Restore feature to make a restore point prior to the time of install of SP2.

Then 'close' ALL running programs on your computer, i.e. Virus Scanners, Firewalls, or any other program running in the System Tray.
If you know your way around the 'Windows Task Manager' you should also close all running Applications and Processes in the Task Manager too.

Then after having done all that, "pray real hard" and click install.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-20-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online